HeadAmp CFA3 Headphone Amp - The Official Thread
Feb 22, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #196 of 251
Many of us are wating for the new CFA3 after pre-order now I think. I could see that HeadAmp is working thoroughly on this amp and the details are tested.
I hope that we would have the possibility to chose from some color options for the faceplate when we finish our orders. At least if ordering CFA3 Deluxe Edition.
Having some idea what the cost will be would be nice too, unless I've missed some word about it. I've asked a couple of times but no response. And no word on the final input/outputs. I have a feeling true production and shipments are a ways down the road.

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #197 of 251
Having some idea what the cost will be would be nice too, unless I've missed some word about it. I've asked a couple of times but no response. And no word on the final input/outputs. I have a feeling true production and shipments are a ways down the road.
I agree. My guess is no sooner than summer. Price will be most likely between $4000-$5000 for the regular and the deluxe a bit more. But, that is a guess...

Feb 27, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #198 of 251
The inputs are 2x XLR, 1x RCA
Outputs are 2x 4-pin XLR, 1x 4.4mm, 1x 6.3mm

We've got it all ready, but just need quantities of assembled boards and cables now. We can do them all ourselves, and have been, but it would be too many days of labor per amp. and we just have too many pre-orders for that. So we're waiting for assembled PCBs, some have arrived but more are coming in over the next 4-6 weeks. Pretty much everything else is ready, transformers are supposed to be delivered this week and anodized enclosures shipping in a week.

I've been working on some of the final touches as well like implementing a miniaturized SMD version of Kevin Gilmore's headphone protection circuit, and finalizing the output jacks. Here's a pic and a video that shows how that works, pretty simple soft white LED = OK, orange/amber = protected. I found one of my sources was actually defective and was putting out some DC voltage, which can trigger this to protect the headphones as well as any failure from inside the amp, without using any types of components or circuits that could degrade the sound quality. It's also active at power ON/OFF.

HeadAmp-CFA3-HP-Protection.jpg

Last edited:
HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Feb 27, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #200 of 251
@justin w. It's fun to see how things are progressing. Have you finalized what the upgrades will be for the DX vs standard yet? Any sound changes or differences you can describe to us between the two versions?

Feb 27, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #201 of 251
I am most curious when it is going to be ready? I am also curious how much the sound changes from BJT to JFET... Miroslav said he tested both and the sound difference were negligible at best. But, I haven't heard the CFA3 with JFET. Mine is BJT and sounds wonderful.

I personally think that the amps super power is its treble. It is as nuanced, open, resolute and articulate as any headphone amp I've heard. I also have a Pure BiPolar MK2 and they are so different. Both equally transparent, and able to cope with any load, but they definitely have a different sound. The CFA3 has the most beautiful treble that makes the amp sound so open, airy and sweet. I would qualify them as equal in sonics, just different presentations. Both have a stable drift. The PB Mk2 has a bit more harmonic distortion to my ears. But, I haven't measured either so I am saying this solely from my listening and comparisons. I love them both equally and would never live without either.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #202 of 251
JFET is warmer and a bit more musical and analog sounding. Just a bit.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #203 of 251
JFET is warmer and a bit more musical and analog sounding. Just a bit.
Thanks! My CFA3 and Pure BiPolar are sensational and even though my CFA3 was made with BJT I don't feel it is missing much. It is leaner than the PB, but the treble on the CFA3 is to die for.

Mar 1, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #205 of 251
Just another necessary thing, some custom packaging showed up today. Pictured here with the clear bottom panel. Which will also be given away with pre-orders

IMG_3913.jpegIMG_3910.jpeg
How far are you from shipping orders Justin? Your website still says price TBD and parts are still being chosen. You look pretty close and it looks great.

Mar 1, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #206 of 251
Looking for reviews of this amp upon release and with extended usage. Currently using my GSX Mini, sounds great with my Yggdrasil LiM dac, I have also ordered a Schiit Mjolnir 3 amp to try but really want to hear about this amp too. End game? It's a myth LOL.

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #207 of 251
Looking for reviews of this amp upon release and with extended usage. Currently using my GSX Mini, sounds great with my Yggdrasil LiM dac, I have also ordered a Schiit Mjolnir 3 amp to try but really want to hear about this amp too. End game? It's a myth LOL.
Couldn't have said any better. It is the biggest myth on audio planet earth. haha... I could get into a litany of reasons why. But, I do get using the term to explain that a piece sounds good. But end game, that only happens when we expire. Until then, we keep evolving. And so does design and the people who are listening.

The Yggy and MJ3 are a magical combo. Jason said to me at Canjam Dallas after I got walloped with a 30 minute session using the Empy 2 that he knows that he created something so good in the MJ3 that he will need to up his game elsewhere with his amps. I just wanted him to know how good the two sounded together. Amazing! End Game, I have no clue what that means other than a term a community uses way too often to describe something that doesn't exist. Every hobby has some sort of term or lingo, that is the audiophile's. Bottom line is that I own both the CFA3 and the Pure BiPolar Mk2 (the only one) and while I would normally say that they are sonically equal of one another and I think both KG and Birgir would agree, my Pure BiPolar sounds better to my ears than my CFA3. But when it comes to treble the CFA3 has no peer from the amps I've heard. It is delicate, articulate, nuanced, and has so much air and extension. It creates a truly magical soundstage. Maybe the upgraded Dr. Jan Meier Corda Soul MK2. That thing is just nuts. Jan Meier is one serious dude...

That being said, as far as I understand it, the two worked on the basic design of both together. KG tuned and chose parts and preferences for the CFA3 and Birgir did the same for the PB. They are quite different and for the most part sonically equal. Comes down to preferences. I may be wrong about them designing these amps together, but that is how I understood it. And how I hear it. I am glad to have one of each... I love them both.

But, I could live happily with an Yggy and MJ3, it is that good.

But, I prefer tubes in my heart...

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #208 of 251
Couldn't have said any better. It is the biggest myth on audio planet earth. haha... I could get into a litany of reasons why. But, I do get using the term to explain that a piece sounds good. But end game, that only happens when we expire. Until then, we keep evolving. And so does design and the people who are listening.

The Yggy and MJ3 are a magical combo. Jason said to me at Canjam Dallas after I got walloped with a 30 minute session using the Empy 2 that he knows that he created something so good in the MJ3 that he will need to up his game elsewhere with his amps. I just wanted him to know how good the two sounded together. Amazing! End Game, I have no clue what that means other than a term a community uses way too often to describe something that doesn't exist. Every hobby has some sort of term or lingo, that is the audiophile's. Bottom line is that I own both the CFA3 and the Pure BiPolar Mk2 (the only one) and while I would normally say that they are sonically equal of one another and I think both KG and Birgir would agree, my Pure BiPolar sounds better to my ears than my CFA3. But when it comes to trouble the CFA3 has no peer from the amps I've heard. It is delicate, articulate, nuanced, and has so much air and extension. It creates a truly magical soundstage. Maybe the upgraded Dr. Jan Meier Corda Soul MK2. That thing is just nuts. Jan Meier is one serious dude...

That being said, as far as I understand it, the two worked on the basic design of both together. KG tuned and chose parts and preferences for the CFA3 and Birgir did the same for the PB. They are quite different and for the most part sonically equal. Comes down to preferences. I may be wrong about them designing these amps together, but that is how I understood it. And how I hear it. I am glad to have one of each... I love them both.

But, I could live happily with an Yggy and MJ3, it is that good.

But, I prefer tubes in my heart...
IIRC, Bipolar mk2 is based on the dynalo mk2 module and a variation of gsx mini and gsx mk2. CFA3 is totally different. I suspect your dyanlo mk2 module may be a bit warmer than CFA3. CFA3 has quite a bit better technical performance and can be musical if you pair it with a non-analytical and dynamic dac.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #209 of 251
Would be super interesting to read a comparison of the M3, CFA3, and the PB Mk2 if at all possible? Thanks guys...

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #210 of 251
Would be super interesting to read a comparison of the M3, CFA3, and the PB Mk2 if at all possible? Thanks guys...
M3s are all different.

If you have dynamics and like a warmer sound and your dac is optimized for SE output, get glite mk2/GRPS (neutral warm with big sound and okay layering)
If you prefer a warmer and bigger sound with slightly better technical, get M3 (with Staccato discrete opamp)
If you need to driver more difficult to drive cans and you have a relatively neutral to warm dac and don't want to spend top dollar, get gsx2 (make sure you replace the power supply with golden ref)
If you have moderately difficult to drive cans, have a neutral to analytical dac and want a warmer sound profile, get gsx mini (I am guessing PB mk2 also fits this profile)
If you want the best Gilmore has to offer and you have neutral to analytical dac, get CFA3 with JFET and ZF front end
If you want the best ...and you have neutral to warm/musical dac, get CFA3 with BJT and ZF front end
If you want the best...and you have warmpoo dac (some tube gear and other old tech stuff), get CFA 3 with BJT and SS front end

Hope this helps. Probably not all accurate but I use these and they all sound pretty good to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back