HeadAmp CFA3 Headphone Amp - The Official Thread
Mar 1, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #211 of 251
I have G Lite Mk2, but gave that to my grandson to get him hooked on audiophile / headphones :wink: evil I know but oh well... have not tried it with my LiM dac. I currently have no dynamics but someday hope to own an Atrium open. Wish I had an open budget just to spend on audio gear, I would just go crazy with it.

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #212 of 251
IIRC, Bipolar mk2 is based on the dynalo mk2 module and a variation of gsx mini and gsx mk2. CFA3 is totally different. I suspect your dyanlo mk2 module may be a bit warmer than CFA3. CFA3 has quite a bit better technical performance and can be musical if you pair it with a non-analytical and dynamic dac.
Birgir was going to make a Mk2 PB, then decided not to. He made one for himself and then put his efforts towards other things. It has a tweaked circuit, better parts, brand new transistors and a TKD Pot instead of the Alps R27 that goes in the normal PB.

I know they are different. I said that in my post. They are nothing alike, but equal in sound quality. A friend asked KG which was better and he told him they were equal in sound quality, but that he preferred the CFA3's tuning. This is just what I know.

Yes, the PB is based on the Dynalo MK2. My PB is a bit different, but I can't tell you from an engineer stand point why. I can tell you the proper way to make a french egg, or how to braise a Squab, or how to pan sear Foie Gras in its own fat, but I can't tell you why my PB sounds as good as my CFA3. Not the same, but equally as good. I love them both for different reasons and they get used for different reasons. Just as my Aficionado does as well.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #213 of 251
I have G Lite Mk2, but gave that to my grandson to get him hooked on audiophile / headphones :wink: evil I know but oh well... have not tried it with my LiM dac. I currently have no dynamics but someday hope to own an Atrium open. Wish I had an open budget just to spend on audio gear, I would just go crazy with it.
Me too. I wish I had an open budget as well. Sadly, I do not. I have what I have and it took me 8 years of hard work, buying, selling, trading and then buying the final pieces to create my chain that I am mightily proud of.

Do you @commtd you are a tribute to this fine community.

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #214 of 251
Birgir was going to make a Mk2 PB, then decided not to. He made one for himself and then put his efforts towards other things. It has a tweaked circuit, better parts, brand new transistors and a TKD Pot instead of the Alps R27 that goes in the normal PB.

I know they are different. I said that in my post. They are nothing alike, but equal in sound quality. A friend asked KG which was better and he told him they were equal in sound quality, but that he preferred the CFA3's tuning. This is just what I know.

Yes, the PB is based on the Dynalo MK2. My PB is a bit different, but I can't tell you from an engineer stand point why. I can tell you the proper way to make a french egg, or how to braise a Squab, or how to pan sear Foie Gras in its own fat, but I can't tell you why my PB sounds as good as my CFA3. Not the same, but equally as good. I love them both for different reasons and they get used for different reasons. Just as my Aficionado does as well.

IIRC, Bipolar mk2 is based on the dynalo mk2 module and a variation of gsx mini and gsx mk2. CFA3 is totally different. I suspect your dyanlo mk2 module may be a bit warmer than CFA3. CFA3 has quite a bit better technical performance and can be musical if you pair it with a non-analytical and dynamic dac.
I got your other response which is the same. Technically, my CFA3 which is wonderful sounds tremendous. Technically, my PB MK2 sounds tremendous. Different, but I like them both equally.

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #215 of 251
I spoke with Justin at CanJam and my takeaway was May/June release date with standard/deluxe priced at 4/5k respectively, though it's subject to change. I'm looking forward to this one, as it's sounded great at both shows I've heard it.

Mar 16, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #216 of 251
I spoke with Justin at CanJam and my takeaway was May/June release date with standard/deluxe priced at 4/5k respectively, though it's subject to change. I'm looking forward to this one, as it's sounded great at both shows I've heard it.
That would give all those who have put down their money to reserve one some relief. Thank you for sharing.

Mar 16, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #218 of 251
Mar 16, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #219 of 251
Mar 16, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #220 of 251
JFET is warmer and a bit more musical and analog sounding. Just a bit.
I am sending my CFA3 to Miro and he is putting in some sort of clip and sending me some JFETs so that I can decide for myself which I prefer.

Mar 16, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #222 of 251
Mar 16, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #223 of 251
That list is outdated, heavily biased and not very useful ultimately. As for the BiPolar, to some extent it serves a different purpose as it should be capable of a very low gain mode unlike the ultra powerful, higher gain CFA3?

I can understand the desire to get your 2nd CFA3 asap. 👍
Nope. I have 4 amps now. I am good. 1 CFA3 is enough for me. And within 4 weeks I will have the ability to use either BJTs or JFETs in mine.

I am sure the headamp CFA3 will be amazing. But, if I am buying another amp it will be the Icon Audio 205D. My next purchase will be a DAC, although my DAC now is ridiculously good.

Mar 16, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #224 of 251
Mar 18, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #225 of 251
Well the winner of the chicken dinner is wa33 elite edition with upgrade tubes. How’s that for left field home run…..
You win. But, I never heard that amp so I can't comment on its sonic traits and beauty. It is certainly a looker. My tube amp is the EC Aficionado which I absolutely love. I do prefer my Pure BiPolar, although I do love my CFA3 too. They are sonically equal, I just prefer the tuning of the PB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back