Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Aug 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #3,812 of 9,899
I think Massi is looking forward to hearing the BHSE, but I don't know when he'll be visiting my place because he's tied up at work, however I'm interested to know what his Stax amp will sound like with my source. The headphones being used will be the 009's.

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #3,813 of 9,899
Quote:
^ Spritzer generally speaking, do you think it is better to adjust the volume from the DAC or from the Amplifier? 

Does a good attenuator or pot like the RK-50 change the general rule? 

I know this has been talked to death but maybe it's time for review . . . I was never quite clear as it applies to the BHSE or GS-X mk 2.

There is no way to be that specific about this.  Way too many variables to consider.  Take my setup for instance, the MSB dac has a built in stepped attenuator but it's also used to attenuate the preamp function so to keep the output voltage in check it has to be engaged.  I then adjust the pots to their middle spots where they are the most linear and fine tune there.  Not the best example though as I doubt many have this number of amps in a system... 
redface.gif

Now if my dac would have a digital volume control (as in a true digital one, not just one controlled by a chip) then I wouldn't touch it and use the analog one instead. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #3,814 of 9,899
What spritzer said but I'd use the RK50 irrespective. I wouldn't pay $1k for a pot that I'm not going to use. 
smile.gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #3,815 of 9,899
What spritzer said but I'd use the RK50 irrespective. I wouldn't pay $1k for a pot that I'm not going to use. :smile:

I have the RK50 with my BHSE, but the way I positioned my audio equipment on my rack, the BHSE's volume knob was out of arms length, so like I said in one of my posts, I used my sources attenuator then use it's remote control.
However, similar to what you said Currawong, what's the point of having the RK50 and not using it, so I've moved my BHSE's amp section to where I can get to it's volume knob.

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #3,816 of 9,899
Although I did this sometime ago, I decided to do it today, and that's to compare my BHSE's RK50 to my sources attenuator, and because to me they both sounded more or less the same, it was virtually impossible to hear any difference in SQ. The source I have is quite good though which to me proves the RK50 is also very good.

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #3,818 of 9,899
Quote:
Hi Justin.W and All User of BHSE

Can you tell me about BHSE total size (length, width and height.)?

Thanks

From here http://www.head-fi.org/products/headamp-blue-hawaii-se-electrostatic-amp

"Physical Dimensions (in inches): - Amp chassis: 15.5" x 12.5" x 3". Attenuator adds 13/16" to the 12.5" depth and the RCA jacks add 11/16" more. Cone feet add 1 1/2" to the height and the stock Mullard EL34 tubes when installed add 3 3/4" more. - PSU chassis: 7 5/8" x 12 3/8" x 3.5". Cone feet add 1 1/16"."

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #3,820 of 9,899
^ Spritzer generally speaking, do you think it is better to adjust the volume from the DAC or from the Amplifier? 

Does a good attenuator or pot like the RK-50 change the general rule? 

I know this has been talked to death but maybe it's time for review . . . I was never quite clear as it applies to the BHSE or GS-X mk 2.

If the analog volume control has a noise floor less than the DACs noise floor then the analog would be best. Some DACs that have access to the data path internal to the DAC can achieve -135dB, to best that with analog you'd need an extraordinary designed volume control, and certainly nothing off the shelf. Whether any of this would be audible is up for debate, the RK-50 is a very good pot though.

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #3,824 of 9,899
i plan to post a photo update sometime in the next week that will show exactly where assembly is right now.  it should be very informative

Hello Justin I think a lot of people are yearning to see your photo update, especially if it's "very informative". Written information will be greatly appreciated too. Best regards.

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #3,825 of 9,899
I was wondering abou it too, but I wasn't able to find Justin's post so I thought that -- either I hallucinated that post or that it had been deleted because of some delay. At any rate, I am sure the pictures will come in due time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back