Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jul 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #3,721 of 9,902
My brother imports parts from China and every part is inspected at an independent test facility in California before he receives them.  It is encouraging that Grants has the Psvane tubes inspected, but having the manufacturer do this testing is a little dubious to say the least . . .

EDIT . . . they seem like stand-up people.  Hope they can workout the quality control.

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #3,722 of 9,902
I don't like the idea which Grant suggests that any tube products labeled with the same Grade A specification from either Shuguang or Psvane, tubes which have been tested and deemed inferior to others, are then sold to companies with a less "cool kids" status than Grant has. What respectable manufacturing company acts in this manner and keeps a legitimate reputation in their industry for long? Why would Psvane allow one of their distributors to keep voicing their seemingly shady and misleading business practices which is clearly stating, "Just because our tubes are marked Grade A from us doesn't mean they really are unless you buy them from this one specific source."

Further, I don't like that Grant effectively coherses their Psvane EL34PH customers to place potentially insincere positive feedback about this model of tube or about their customer service experience with, "...your feedback must state word for word that your experience with Grant was 10 out of 10...” (one example is on their website now), only then will said Grant customer get their 'rebate' after purchase. Grant's pricing of the EL34PH's after rebate only then reflects the competitive pricing shared by the rest of the world, but the rest of the world is offering the competitive pricing without the forced positive feedback scheme. Makes no sense to me to buy from Grant if doing so makes it's customers feel like their tool and a tool with low credibility in whatever future forums he or she might choose to engage.

I bought my quad of Psvane EL34PH's elsewhere specifically because of Grant's post-sale rebate policy.

...and the quality of my EL34PH's turned out to be crap. Hmmm,

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #3,723 of 9,902
Quote:
OK, but all high-end equipment (not only audio rigs) makers carefully test the various components available on the market to select those which best fit their products. Regarding the BHSE, this was certainly done for, say, condensers and pots; why not for tubes? Of course, reliability is as important as performance. 

Stop it.

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #3,724 of 9,902
Quote:

This is much faster comparatively to the first and second batch.  Justin stuff is worth the wait though.

Agreed. Like I've mentioned before, I really don't care how long the wait is, fortunately I'm young and as long as it doesn't take more than 2 or 3 years, I'll take it gladly (but I might be the minority).

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #3,727 of 9,902
Quote:
I have no idea about HeadAmp's workforce. Can you tell me?

HeadAmp is essentially only Justin. Although he could hire people to do work for him, like testing tubes as you mentioned, he once posted (and I'm paraphrasing, but it's the same point): "Hiring people would raise prices". As you can see, Justin is the sort of person who would rather keep prices low instead of inflating them from unneeded labor costs. (He's also sort of a perfectionist as well though.)

Also you should really follow HeadAmp on Facebook if you want to learn more about Justin's business. I've found it educational myself.

Btw, while you might be one person who's interested in rolling tubes in the BHSE, alternate tubes don't have much of an effect in a hybrid amp (as the BHSE is). Plus, I for one am glad that HeadAmp doesn't sell alternate tubes to complicate the product. I'm not a fan of the Woo Audio model (for example) where they offer so many amp upgrades and tubes, it's hard to decide which upgrade and/or tube set to get. I always thought the BHSE sounded absolutely fantastic with the stock Mullard EL34s. I don't know why anyone would want to bother with anything else, especially when the tubes won't affect the sound that much anyway. I definitely regretted my purchase of the Genalex Gold Lion KT77s - the price wasn't worth the marginal sonic difference.

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #3,728 of 9,902
Changing the tubes is the last thing i would do. There are so many parameters which affect sound quality more or less. And in the end, one have to decide if its really better or just different. Recording quality is the most important part for me. Sadly, not all of my favorite music is avdiliable in high quality and if it is, there will be still influece of the sound engeneer who recorded or mixed the recording. My new dac does a great job especially on standard cd data and lift it to a higher level. With a perfect recording in highresolution a cheaper one and the standard stax amp was ok. All i want to say is that the blue hawaii should be great in original configuration, if it arrive some day, after 16 month of waiting.

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #3,730 of 9,902
I remember an amp maker who used to try to cater to every whim of his clientele by tweaking each design, making bespoke amps, and keeping and testing a stock of tubes upon tubes upon tubes. 

It didn't end well.

I'll take Justin's business model.

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #3,731 of 9,902
Jul 31, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #3,732 of 9,902
Luckily my eBay seller has offered a full refund and will cover costs shipping back the Pissvanes.
I won a bid on eBay for a matched quad of xf2 Blackburn Mullards for a lot less money, I probably got ripped again knowing my luck...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111125935827?redirect=mobile

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #3,733 of 9,902
Looks like later XF-2's with single getters.  They look good for that price. 

I know the 2's are more sought after, especially with double getters, but anyone have any input on the X3 and X4's?  They are more abundant and cheaper. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #3,734 of 9,902
IMO, even those that are very happy with the SQ they are getting from their headphone system, ( myself included ) read about something that might improve that SQ by adding it to their system, most if not all of use would probably buy that something.

Regarding using different tubes, I feel ( Head-fier IanG included ) the only way to test different tubes with the BHSE, ( or any tube amp ) would be to have all the tubes in question in different BHSE's using the same kind of source and cables, then blind testing.
Because of the time it takes from listening to one quad of tubes, then changing to another quad and listening again, I'm not sure whether I 'd be able to tell if there was a difference in SQ because of the time gap. For me to tell, the difference would have to be immense.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #3,735 of 9,902
Quote:
IMO, even those that are very happy with the SQ they are getting from their headphone system, ( myself included ) read about something that might improve that SQ by adding it to their system, most if not all of use would probably buy that something.

As an alternative perspective, ask yourself whether such changes give you more enjoyment from your system.

If you enjoy swapping tubes, re-listening to the same music over and over again to pick up minute differences, more power to you. But for my money, after spending some $7-10k on a BHSE with the 007 or 009, that is completely missing the point. Just chill out and enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back