Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Sep 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #2,492 of 9,899
The setup:
In case you are wondering, the unit below the BHSE is the Antelope Trinity word clock feeding the Esoteric K-01 (top right).

Power cable for the BHSE - Transparent Powerlink MM, the previous generation offering from Transparent. 

Interconnects between the Esoteric K-01 and BHSE - Siltech Royal Signature Series "Princess". If I hook up the Siltech Royal Signature Series "RubyHill II" power cord (currently reserved for my preamp) to replace the Transparent power cable, the cost of the cables alone would surpass the BHSE - but I am reluctant to give the setup too much of a Siltech flavour. 

Immediate impression without even running in for an hour or running in the tubes at all - the SRM727II is destroyed. A much fuller sound across the spectrum. The true revelation of the astounding amount of details from the source, and an excellent example of what the SR009 can truly deliver. With the stock tubes I do not find it bright at all. Just an overall improvement across the frequency range. Those who found it bright might want to take time to adjust before declaring it as a bright headphone if you hear it in a meet. If you switch from say an LCD2, definitely it is bright, but only relatively. I do not find the sound to be bright at all in comparison to many other headphones or speaker systems I have auditioned. It is just an overall immense enjoyment of the music once again (I know it sounds cliche lol). 

I will give it some time for the sound to open up, and then compare it with hooking up with my McIntosh C2300 flagship single box preamp. I know some would say this adds distortion, but hey, since we are here, there is no harm trying. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #2,493 of 9,899
Time for celebration! I do keep the pour away from the setup. This is just for photo purpose. 
beyersmile.png

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #2,494 of 9,899
Congrats on a very nice setup!

Only thing I would change in those pictures is the blended scotch to a single malt laphroig :wink:

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #2,496 of 9,899
I think this notion of brightness is conceived from wanting too much of a good thing, via the volume control. When I listen to my Wilson speakers at high volume from a distance, they sound pretty good.  As I move towards the speakers, the worse the sound gets. So what do people expect when listening at above normal volumes, with speakers an inch away from their ears. Especially when your have one of the most transparent ear speakers in the world.

Nice setup Googleli.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #2,499 of 9,899
Googleli, goal accomplished! (to make others envious / jealous with such display of wealth that is :wink: ).

Looking forward to additional comparisons against the 727 once the bhse settles in if you don't mind (just to try to awaken my upgraditis mood which is desperately low recently :wink: ).

Remember, I got you your phones, so you awe me such detailed comparisons in return :).

Arnaud

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #2,501 of 9,899
Listening to my BHSE again tonight and decided to spin some Goldfrapp on it, which I hadn't done yet. I've said it before but I just want to say it again, the OII is amazingly versatile and isn't just for classical/jazz or other pretentious hi-fi music. With the BHSE, it can make any genre sound amazing and I was blown away at how Goldfrapp's Black Cherry sounded on it! I threw on some The Prodigy (electronica) too just for kicks (which I don't think I've ever done before) and it was surprisingly satisfying. Aside from metal, I don't think there's any genre of music that the OII/BHSE can't do for me. Heck, I've even started thinking I might not need my dynamic headphone gear anymore! Or I could probably simplify it further, which has been giving me evil ideas....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Can't believe no one else snapped this up...so...ME. Probably the only way I'd end up owning one. :D

Live a happy and healthy life...and then leave me your BHSE. 
evil_smiley.gif

Shame to hear about the job loss, but it's good to see where your priorities lie. :wink:

Even though I was half-kidding earlier, I actually think it'd make sense to leave my BHSE to a Head-Fier in my will, at least if my future kids don't end up being audiophiles. I'm 31 though, so if you're older than me, your chances of getting it might be slim. Head-Fiers younger than me only need apply.
tongue.gif

Quote:
Yeah, so I ordered one.

Sweet, glad to hear you finally made the move! You'll love it.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #2,502 of 9,899
Quote:
I think this notion of brightness is conceived from wanting too much of a good thing, via the volume control. When I listen to my Wilson speakers at high volume from a distance, they sound pretty good.  As I move towards the speakers, the worse the sound gets. So what do people expect when listening at above normal volumes, with speakers an inch away from their ears. Especially when your have one of the most transparent ear speakers in the world.

While I think the 009's are amazing sounding headphones, the one problem I have with them is with some of the songs I listen to, at certain parts of the songs I have to turn the volume down because it becomes uncomfortable. I could listen with the volume low with such songs all way through, but then I wouldn't feel as involved with other parts of those songs. I do have my BHSE's volume knob at arms length when listening to music but I'd sooner not have to alter it when needed. I did hear IanG's 007's with no such problem so it's not the BHSE.

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #2,503 of 9,899
Quote:
I seem to recall a post with all the basic colors available shown.  Anyone know if such a post exists?  A link would be appreciated as my searching skills are weak.

this shows all the colors (there are 2 gray knobs in the middle of the black ones).  not pictured is purple, which I plan to add for the 3rd batch

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Sep 12, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #2,504 of 9,899
 not pictured is purple, which I plan to add for the 3rd batch

Wow, you went ahead with this!! Eager to see if how it turns out (hopefully it is reminiscent of the mock up I had done a few pages back).

So, pink for her is not on the agenda finally? Maybe the mockup was a tiny bit too saturated :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back