Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Dec 21, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #1,246 of 9,899

Quote:

Yeah, I thought the same. Let's just hope that I will be on the list. Anyway, until I got the amp, I can still enjoy my he60 through kgss
wink.gif

Let me know if you want to get rid of that awful KGSS when you get your BHSE, I might be interested...
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #1,247 of 9,899
Hi, Doug.
Indeed, "they'll be done when they're done".
We all know that Justin is a perfectionist and builds excellent amplifiers, and also that the BHSE is one of the best, if not the best, electrostatic amplifier.
What people really complain is that when they've pre-ordered, they were given a much shorter waiting period.
I guess it's just that, ansiety. That's why some people "can't take it anymore" :)
Regards and Merry Christmas!
Erico

Quote:
Some people need more than 200 explanations that "theyll be done when theyre done" - don't get frustrated :wink:

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #1,249 of 9,899
Hi, David.
I'm also not one of them, but I do understand why some people are ansious to receive their BHSE.
Best regards and Merry Christmas!
Erico

Quote:
I guess a few might be on edge with the so called waiting but I'm not one of them, I say that because apart from me being patient, I also can't make the final payment til March.

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #1,250 of 9,899

Quote:
Hi, David.
I also not one of them, but do understand why some people are ansious to receive their BHSE.
Best regards and Merry Christmas!
Erico

Hi ericohgb
I also understand why some are anxious to receive their BHSE but quality takes time. Merry Christmas to yourself and all headfiers.
                                                                  David.

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #1,251 of 9,899
the Aristaeus PCBs have been assembled for many months.  The last step is the finishing of the enclosures.  The shop is working on them right now.  Don't know if they'll finish before they close for Christmas.  it's a much smaller job than the BHSEs.  The Aristaeus amps will be ready in January (and there are still some available)
    @ Justin :  Thanks so much for the good news for my Christmas present,  I will prepare everything ready in January.
    BTW, does the drivers : 12 AX7's need to be perfectly matched?   What is the drivers that you would recommend?
Can I use the 5751 : Sylvania or the Raytheon?   Can the tube rolling the ECL 86 need to be done
beerchug.gif
?
BTW,  Merry Christmas and Happy new year for all and Justin and his family
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #1,252 of 9,899
Aristaeus or Blue Hawaii; minor god or island paradise, highly regarded sonics or occasionally referred to, early 2012 delivery or....eventually. So which is it to be?

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #1,253 of 9,899
AFAIK, 5751 should be fine though they have less gain. I find the mullard 10M 12ax7 non-gold pin pretty nice while a NOS Gold Lion B759 is out of reach for me.

ECL86's does not affect sound as much I like the mullard ones too though I think others will recommend Amperex ones which I could not find myself to like them.

For some other improvement, you can change the plate resistors and output caps, which is usually the most effective. I use mills resistors which are non-inductive and vcap OIMP ( I know some crazy guys go as far as AN silver, which at 1uF, 4 of them will equal the cost of the amp. 

Another thing I did is to bypass the input trace and output trace on PCB using cotton insulated wires. For power caps, I did not find any more BGs so I did not mess with them.

Of course you can change the input cap and the coupling ones and all the resistors on signal path, but I was content at what I got and stopped there.

Hope that help.

btw, @justin, though you warned us not to touch the trimpod for phase splitter, could you please tell us how to adjust it if we accidentally touch it. I guess I am just too paranoid and have too much equipments.

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #1,254 of 9,899
@Music Daedalus
     Thanks for your suggestion :
     I have prepared some tubes for the Aristaeus i.e. ECL86= Mullard  made for TFK ECL86's    , are they the same as Mullard?
     I have the 12AX7's and 5751's   : Mazda 12AX7S's   and the Sylvania 5751 3 mica black plate, steel and gold pin
     I have heard that the Raytheon 5751 may be as good but I don't know which one of Raytheon is better :  3 mica old one or
the windmill getter one.   B759 is very difficult or impossible to find a good pair, can we correct the bias if the drivers are not well matched
in the Aristaeus or  is the Aristaeus has self adjusted bias?

For some other improvement, you can change the plate resistors and output caps, which is usually the most effective. I use mills resistors which are non-inductive and vcap OIMP ( I know some crazy guys go as far as AN silver, which at 1uF, 4 of them will equal the cost of the amp. 

Another thing I did is to bypass the input trace and output trace on PCB using cotton insulated wires. For power caps, I did not find any more BGs so I did not mess with them.

Of course you can change the input cap and the coupling ones and all the resistors on signal path, but I was content at what I got and stopped there

Is it difficult to do this?   Please provide help  as  I may come back to consult you later about this modification

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #1,258 of 9,899
kiertiji, if you use the 009 with Aristaeus I suggest you try Sylvannia 12AX7's. I have a lot of 12AX7's for my Leben, including vintage Telefunkens, 1950's Mullards, 1950's Amperex long plate D getter, Mazda and Sylvania, but only the Sylvania can give a warm and lush sound which I think is a good match with the 009.

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #1,260 of 9,899

Quote:
AFAIK, 5751 should be fine though they have less gain. I find the mullard 10M 12ax7 non-gold pin pretty nice while a NOS Gold Lion B759 is out of reach for me.

ECL86's does not affect sound as much I like the mullard ones too though I think others will recommend Amperex ones which I could not find myself to like them.

Of course you can change the input cap and the coupling ones and all the resistors on signal path, but I was content at what I got and stopped there.

Hope that help.

btw, @justin, though you warned us not to touch the trimpod for phase splitter, could you please tell us how to adjust it if we accidentally touch it. I guess I am just too paranoid and have too much equipments.

it's hard to recommend NOS tubes because some of them are noisy or dont have as much gain as they should.  try it, and if you like it, use it.

to adjust the trim pot you are going to need
* A voltmeter capable of measuring at least hundreds of AC volts, or an oscilloscope
* A source playing a sine wave test tone

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back