Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jul 15, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #9,841 of 9,899
I have a problem with my beloved BHSE that suddenly do not work.

The 4 tubes are glowing, the 2 blue leds are glowing, but…. on all 3 input and all 2 outputs, there is on sound at all in the headphones. Even with the knob at full volume, there is not even a hiss…

I tried to change the 4 tubes ( I have different sets), but it does not help.

So, can someone help to diagnose the problem ? What should I test no ?

sincerely
Just to check, have you tried your source through a different amp to make sure it is actually sending signal?

Jul 15, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #9,842 of 9,899
Just to check, have you tried your source through a different amp to make sure it is actually sending signal?
yes I did :wink:. thanks anyway to try to help.

UPDATE: End of the panic, my BHSE is back in order now : I just had to change the 2 fuses, one was broken. I did not tried this first because with the tubes still glowing, I did not figure out that it was a power supply problem…

I can enjoy again my BHSE :wink: :wink:

But.... This period without my BHSE gave me the opportunity to use again my old system ( modified Eddy Curent 445 + tuned Hifiman HE500 ) to realize how good and relaxing it was -> Now I USE BOOTH SYSTEMS DEPENDING OF MY MOOD :)

EC445 & HE-500.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #9,843 of 9,899
I Need Help again....

today sudently my BHSE went silent and then One of the 4 tubes started to glow much more then the 3 others, and then some smog came out of the BHSE.
Now when I turn it on again, after the heating period, as usual I can hear the click of the relay, but the secong led do not turn blue, and still no sound...

Sound bad isn't it ? How to get this fixed since I am in Europe ?

Aug 6, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #9,844 of 9,899
New tubes is the first step.

Aug 19, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #9,845 of 9,899
Hi, please help me detect and eventually solve a problem in my rather complex system.

The DAC is connected directly to the BHSE through the balanced XLR output, I use the balanced XLR loop output of the BHSE to send the same signal to a preamp with pseudo-balanced XLR inputs, i.e. single-ended.

The fact is (please accept my subjective experience) that there is considerable sound degradation in the BHSE with this chain. If I disconnect the cables between the BHSE's loop output and the preamp (and it doesn't matter if it's on or off), the jump in quality is remarkable. Accepting this fact, which of these options explains what's happening?

1) Does the BHSE connected to an unbalanced preamp lose the benefits of a fully balanced system?

2) Is there a problem with the grounding system?

3) is the DAC (Pontus - high output impedance) "seeing" a very high impedance (50k BHSE + 50K preamp) and behaving atypically?

4) all of the above together

5) none of the above, the problem is something else you're not seeing.

Thank you

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #9,846 of 9,899
Hi,

Do you know if Justin is OK?

I’ve been trying to contact him since May (both “personal” mail and support mail) and never answered. Probably more than 10 emails….

I have a 1,5 year old Blue Hawaii (I had another one years ago) and I need technical help.

Thanks

Sep 26, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #9,847 of 9,899
Hi,

Do you know if Justin is OK?

I’ve been trying to contact him since May (both “personal” mail and support mail) and never answered. Probably more than 10 emails….

I have a 1,5 year old Blue Hawaii (I had another one years ago) and I need technical help.

Thanks
Some years ago I try to contact Justin for my bhse that need service, and after many mail he replied. I think that the support service is not good. I sell my bhse and I never buy other headamp product in the future. I think that an amplifier with this price will need an adeguate support after sell.

Sep 26, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #9,848 of 9,899
Some years ago I try to contact Justin for my bhse that need service, and after many mail he replied. I think that the support service is not good. I sell my bhse and I never buy other headamp product in the future. I think that an amplifier with this price will need an adeguate support after sell.
Interesting, I've had nothing but great support over the last 5+ years owning their products. I just use the generic support email address and usually get a response either same or next day.

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #9,849 of 9,899
I also have had rapid replies from Justin.

still looking for a copy of the bias adjustment video. Perhaps if he made a text/diagram version…

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #9,850 of 9,899
Hi, please help me detect and eventually solve a problem in my rather complex system.

The DAC is connected directly to the BHSE through the balanced XLR output, I use the balanced XLR loop output of the BHSE to send the same signal to a preamp with pseudo-balanced XLR inputs, i.e. single-ended.

The fact is (please accept my subjective experience) that there is considerable sound degradation in the BHSE with this chain. If I disconnect the cables between the BHSE's loop output and the preamp (and it doesn't matter if it's on or off), the jump in quality is remarkable. Accepting this fact, which of these options explains what's happening?

1) Does the BHSE connected to an unbalanced preamp lose the benefits of a fully balanced system?

2) Is there a problem with the grounding system?

3) is the DAC (Pontus - high output impedance) "seeing" a very high impedance (50k BHSE + 50K preamp) and behaving atypically?

4) all of the above together

5) none of the above, the problem is something else you're not seeing.

Thank you
I have asked Justin about the XLR loop outputs. He replied that the XLR loop outputs are directly connected to the inputs, and work even when the power is off.

I am unsure about mixing balanced, and unbalanced outputs. I know that it can be an issue, in some amps, as the ‘cold’ leg of the XLR can get shunted to ground, preventing true balanced output. Not sure how this works for the BHSE. Some amps are actually not balanced internally, and use transformer, or circuits to produce the balanced output. Justin would have to answer this question. I only use balanced out, although I use balanced and RCA in. Balanced in comes from my preamp, and RCA comes from my computer via a Meridian DAC (mainly used for Zoom/Teams) No comparison between MSB DAC via balanced input and Zoom -> USB Meridian DAC -> RCA -> headphone amp.

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #9,851 of 9,899
Sent messages using the chat method on his website and never had an issue. Although, I have not reached out to him in some time, so may be different now.

Sep 29, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #9,852 of 9,899
Hi! I plan to purchase a used Blue Hawaii from a USA head-fier. Will I be able to change the power supply voltage from 115V to 230V?

Sep 30, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #9,853 of 9,899
Need some clarification, I just got a used BHSE, when I turn on, one of the power light is off. ( and no sound) It takes good 1-2 mins to turn on. ( and has sound) Is it supposed to take that long to warm up? Thank you all

Attachments

• IMG_0987.jpeg
    IMG_0987.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Sep 30, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #9,855 of 9,899
Need some clarification, I just got a used BHSE, when I turn on, one of the power light is off. ( and no sound) It takes good 1-2 mins to turn on. ( and has sound) Is it supposed to take that long to warm up? Thank you all
From the manual (if you want to know what is happening during start-up):
"Power LEDs
The LED on the left indicates power for the low voltage supply and filaments.
After a 2 minute warm-up, the high voltage supply turns on, indicated by the LED on the right."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back