Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Sep 30, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #9,856 of 9,899
From the manual (if you want to know what is happening during start-up):
"Power LEDs
The LED on the left indicates power for the low voltage supply and filaments.
After a 2 minute warm-up, the high voltage supply turns on, indicated by the LED on the right."
Thank you! Thought something is broken, big relief!

Sep 30, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #9,857 of 9,899
Yes, it takes awhile. You will learn to listen to the clicks. 2 minutes...

Oct 2, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #9,858 of 9,899
Need some clarification, I just got a used BHSE, when I turn on, one of the power light is off. ( and no sound) It takes good 1-2 mins to turn on. ( and has sound) Is it supposed to take that long to warm up? Thank you all

resounding yes. actually I even wait until all tubes are warm enough. not just two minutes

Oct 4, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #9,859 of 9,899
Hi! I plan to purchase a used Blue Hawaii from a USA head-fier. Will I be able to change the power supply voltage from 115V to 230V?

Thanks for Justin's response on another forum. I will quote it here:

remove the PCB on the power supply front panel

there are 2 sets of wire jumpers

for each one ,cut the 2 wires that go into pin 3+4 and solder them together

The necessary pin connections are written on the board

You should also reduce the value of the AC Input fuses by 50%

WARNING: Do not attempt any of this unless you are qualified and experienced

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #9,862 of 9,899
Seeking some advice - my BHSE started to have distortion on the left channel whenever the volume goes past the 2 o'clock position. Swapped the tubes too and the problem persists. Any ideas?

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #9,863 of 9,899
Seeking some advice - my BHSE started to have distortion on the left channel whenever the volume goes past the 2 o'clock position. Swapped the tubes too and the problem persists. Any ideas?
Have you tested to make sure it is the BHSE and not the earspeakers or source? If not, try a different set of earspeakers, swap the source connections left to right to see if the distortion follows, and try a different source. Also, try the second earspeaker socket on the BHSE. All this is in the effort to isolate the problem.

Is it distoration or clipping? do you have any way to see clipping on whatever your source is? How "hot" is the source into the BHSE?

You might also tell us what components you are using i.e. DAC, media source, cabling connection types, etc.

Jan 17, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #9,865 of 9,899
Anyone know the differences between the OG Blue Hawaii and the SE?

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #9,866 of 9,899
Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #9,867 of 9,899
Thoughts?

DCS Bartok or Chord Dave/Mscaler for BHSE.

On thr fence. Both same price.

Feb 6, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #9,868 of 9,899
Thoughts?

Or Esoteric, T&A, Mola Mola, Bricasti, and several others in the $10-20k (new) DAC space. I went with MSB.

Now if choosing between those 2 on the used market, from my reading, the DCS will be smoother, and Chord more analytical. Small differences for sure. Bartok a traditional single box solution, while the Chord gear are not.

Depends on your tastes and predilections. I spent awhile looking for my DAC, web surfing others observations, and visiting a few audio shows, before deciding on MSB.

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #9,869 of 9,899
Thoughts?

I would skip both of these kn the current land scape tbh. Lina, tambaqui, weiss, rossini non-apex (if you can find one for like 13), wd sig, and ma3 all simply outperform dave/hms and Bartok for similar (or less) money imo. Stuff I haven't heard but would put solid money on surpassing them for similar would be the totaldac unity (I have a lot of experience with their older models, just not the new ones), lampi golden gate 2 (havent heard but used prices are so low it feels woryh a shot), and sw1x dac III (dac IV spx was excellent but it's the only sw1x I've spent decent time with)

Feb 6, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #9,870 of 9,899
Purchased the Chord Dave with Chord Mscaler.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back