Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Aug 23, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #8,356 of 9,899
BHSE, even with stock tubes + SR007 (both purchased from Justin) continues to be sublime, detailed, and complete in frequency range. Simply the best.

Thank again for your work Justin.

Cant wait to hear both the 007/009 through the BHSE
Is the weight of the BHSE 8lbs? (wishful thinking) 
smile.gif

Aug 24, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #8,361 of 9,899
Haha from what I read the amp weighs 36lbs - I would be worrying if the 2 box design weighs 8lbs only.
also waiting in batch 4 but I am convinced the waiting will be worth it :)

the BHSE Is 1 box 20x17x13" that weight 18kg (40 lb)

I know It, I had ro carry It back home in a BIG bag :)

Aug 24, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #8,362 of 9,899
Has someone tested the TotalDAC-D1-tube-mk2 with the BHSE / SR009 ?  

I am considering the tube version of the TotalDAC to warm a little my SR009, but the tube version only output 1,4 volts, which is bellow the standard.

--> So I wonder if 1,4 volts at -0db will be enough for some low level recording ? 

thanks in advance

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #8,364 of 9,899
  Has someone tested the TotalDAC-D1-tube-mk2 with the BHSE / SR009 ?  

I am considering the tube version of the TotalDAC to warm a little my SR009, but the tube version only output 1,4 volts, which is bellow the standard.

--> So I wonder if 1,4 volts at -0db will be enough for some low level recording ? 

thanks in advance

bmichels,

I can't answer your specific question based on any experience, but I would guess that the BHSE is powerful enough to cope with a slightly lower input voltage.

I would also like to suggest that if you are considering acquiring a TotalDAC primarily to make the sound a little warmer--and I figure this is the case, since if you already have the DAC you could just attach it and see if you like the results--you might want to explore tube-rolling first.  The various el34 variants that you have previously inquired about (DD getters; OO getters; metal base; etc.) may have the effect you want to achieve, and while not inexpensive are nowhere near the cost of a TotalDAC. 

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #8,366 of 9,899
  bmichels,

I can't answer your specific question based on any experience, but I would guess that the BHSE is powerful enough to cope with a slightly lower input voltage.

I would also like to suggest that if you are considering acquiring a TotalDAC primarily to make the sound a little warmer--and I figure this is the case, since if you already have the DAC you could just attach it and see if you like the results--you might want to explore tube-rolling first.  The various el34 variants that you have previously inquired about (DD getters; OO getters; metal base; etc.) may have the effect you want to achieve, and while not inexpensive are nowhere near the cost of a TotalDAC. 

thanks for your advice.  I will indeed OF COURSE do some tube rolling on the BHSE.  This is part of the pleasure of having a tube based amp (see here my collection of tubes for my TU-05... it's big but not so expensives because those small tubes are around 10$ on Ebay.  I will have to be more resoneable with the EL34s :wink:

but anyway, I will need to upgrade my DAC which is a HUGO, and despite his qualities, it is not at the level (I guess) of the BHSE).  I will know more this evening since I bring my BHSE to friends who have a DAVE and a TotalDAC D1 so that I can try my BHSE connected to their TOL DACs and compare with my HUGO + BHSE)

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #8,367 of 9,899
little meeting yesterday to try the BHSE/SR009 with various DACs :  HUGO, DAVE & TotalDAC D1 Dual.

Winner:....BHSE + SR009  :wink:  Everybody was impress by it, even our host, a "HE-1000 + DAVE" fan who prefered the electrostatic combo..

In term of DACs :  DAVE = TotalDAC !

Aug 25, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #8,368 of 9,899
  little meeting yesterday to try the BHSE/SR009 with various DACs :  HUGO, DAVE & TotalDAC D1 Dual.

Winner:....BHSE + SR009  :wink:  Everybody was impress by it, even our host, a "HE-1000 + DAVE" fan who prefered the electrostatic combo..

In term of DACs :  DAVE = TotalDAC !

Exactly my thoughts too bmichels when I heard your BHSE (with Ayre QB-9 DAC) at CanJam London i.e. better than any dynamic set up there including the DAVE with LCD4's.   Wasn't able to try the DAVE with BHSE but Peter from Headamp said he preferred the Ayre QB-9 to the DAVE with BHSE.  What was your thoughts of Ayre QB-9 at CanJam as opposed to DAVE and TotalDAC D1 Dual with BHSE ? 

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #8,370 of 9,899

Exactly my thoughts too bmichels when I heard your BHSE (with Ayre QB-9 DAC) at CanJam London i.e. better than any dynamic set up there including the DAVE with LCD4's.   Wasn't able to try the DAVE with BHSE but Peter from Headamp said he preferred the Ayre QB-9 to the DAVE with BHSE.  What was your thoughts of Ayre QB-9 at CanJam as opposed to DAVE and TotalDAC D1 Dual with BHSE ? 

I would be really curious about this as well re Dave v TotalDAC. May guess would be Dave will be detailed and bit brighter, TotalDAC smoother and possibly tad warmer? Thinking then, the TotalDAC would be better on the 009s and BHSE system. The QB-9 is warm sounding which seems to help calm the 009 down a bit in the treble. My tube DACs are possibly doing the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back