Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Oct 18, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #6,151 of 9,890
I have just pulled the trigger and paid a deposit on a BHSE :)

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #6,152 of 9,890
  updates on the BHSE

Batch #3
- 2 shipments have gone out so far, with a 3rd early next week. there will be 1 shipment per week until they are all gone. so far these have been all 115V units, but i will start doing 230V after the next one

Batch #4
- if you haven't already received a notification from me about completion of your BHSE/the testing phase, and you ordered this year, then you're most likely in batch #4
- batch #4 is currently about 60% sold
- this batch will ship early 2015 with the first unit completed in January or possibly December of this year

2 shipments of 115V, 8 per = 16 totally speechless recipients?  Quite incredible, given the anxiety/frustration that has been the feature of this thread.  I'm in Batch #3/Shipment #3, September 2012 order date & shipment next week but living in E Asia I am at least 3 weeks of shipping/arguing with customs/oxcart over the mountain away from actually listening.  Someone in Batch #3 must have one in USA?

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #6,154 of 9,890
Wasn't there a google spreadsheet at some point to figure it out where one was at?

It could be as simple as 2 column list with item # (received at time of paypal payment for deposit) and build / shipment status.

Cheers, arnaud

Oct 18, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #6,155 of 9,890
Wasn't there a google spreadsheet at some point to figure it out where one was at?

It could be as simple as 2 column list with item # (received at time of paypal payment for deposit) and build / shipment status.

Cheers, arnaud

i think there was for the last batch. i am emailing everyone a week in advance, when the amp goes on the burn-in rack, to confirm shipping. i did mention 115v and 230v amps, i think you have the only 100v unit. going in order of the date orders would received it will be on the next set to burn-in so expect an email in a week

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Oct 18, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #6,156 of 9,890
You just gotta think Justin is happy getting those amps to the shipper. Just think, 8 people a week less to complain! My order was in 2013 I guess, it's been awhile now... Maybe my shipping notice comes this week.:D

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #6,158 of 9,890
Justin, you'll have a break for xmas and your batch 3 customers will be thrilled, that's a win win situation :wink:.

Arnaud

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #6,159 of 9,890
  "There are three types of debris that may be inside a power tube: loose mica flakes, small glass flecks and particles from the base that may come loose with time. These symptoms do not affect the tube's ability to work nor do they portend it's demise. The getter flash will degrade through sustained use over time, but will not create any particles".

It would appear your tube should be OK.

Thanks again Golfnutz. My supplier also got back to me to say that this was normal and not to worry about it, but without the useful detail.

I'm getting a better handle on the xf2 sound compared to the MBs: more body, more bass  and more effortless presentation of fine detail. But the MBs aren't giving up without a fight - they literally counter punch by having a more prominent, clear upper mid which, for example, brings close miked female voices even closer - in a good way. The MBs make the xf2s sound slightly "soft". Not dull or veiled, just, well, slightly soft .

Overall, I prefer the xf2s, but if they could gain some of that MB punch and incisiveness without losing any of their effortlessness, then they would be perfect. A reminder that these xf2s are around 50 years old. I don't know how representative they are of other examples. 

As a special service to help (or possibly confuse) headfiers, I've attempted to quantify these tube differences in my next post. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #6,160 of 9,890
To give people an idea of how I rate these tube differences, I've used a simple subjective scoring system:
1 point = the smallest discernible change that I consider reliable, repeatable and desirable. Don't take this too literally, I haven't exhaustively cross compared very combination in minute detail. It's just a bit of fun to indicate my perception of the relative merits of each change. The scoring is based purely on SQ, irrespective of costs. Results:

1. 0    Baseline for BHSE with stock JJ Mullard re-issue
  2. 2    Shuguang Treasure premium
  3. 6    Psvane EL34PH
  4. 7    Mesa Boogie blue
  5. 9    Vintage Mullard xf2 OO. Add or subtract 1 or 2 points depending on how you value the tonal sound signature

Perspective time: Even the difference between 0  and 9 is probably objectively quite small. It won't turn Diana Krall into Ella Fitzgerald, and it won't turn an SR-507 into an 009. OTOH, on a subjective music enjoyment level,  once I've latched on to a 1 point improvement, I don't like it taken away again. YMMV a lot from this.

To relate the above scores to my other BHSE tweaks:
  1. The AMR fuses on AC input will add 1 point to any of the above combinations.
  2. The AMR fuses on power supply output will add 0 to 2 points depending on fuse direction!?!  - see Note 1.
  3. The Herbie Halo III dampers will add 1 to 2 points to any of the tubes, other than the Treasures, which were too big to try. Of all the above changes, I found the tube dampers the most difficult to quantify. Still evaluating with the xf2s.

Note 1:
I know, I know, I KNOW! But I always tell it how I hear it.
The use of AMR fuse in the power supply output was a temporary test because the BHSE requires Fast Blow fuses at this location and AMR doesn't do those, so I need to find equivalents  to match the spec. I may be daft, but I'm not stupid, so I won't risk amp damage if I can help it.

If you take costs into account, I've previously said that the AMR fuses, at £15 apiece,  are the best VFM  tweak of all time. Ever.
But the MB tubes, at around £95/quad, now probably take this VFM honour. For me it's not a competition, as the benefits are cumulative - every little bit helps.

In conclusion, my advice to the imminent new BHSE owners is still the same: Enjoy it as is. You may well find you need go no further. But if you do get that upgrade itch, then at least you'll know that it really can get better than this.

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #6,162 of 9,890
  To give people an idea of how I rate these tube differences, I've used a simple subjective scoring system:
1 point = the smallest discernible change that I consider reliable, repeatable and desirable. Don't take this too literally, I haven't exhaustively cross compared very combination in minute detail. It's just a bit of fun to indicate my perception of the relative merits of each change. The scoring is based purely on SQ, irrespective of costs. Results:

1. 0    Baseline for BHSE with stock JJ Mullard re-issue
  2. 2    Shuguang Treasure premium
  3. 6    Psvane EL34PH
  4. 7    Mesa Boogie blue
  5. 9    Vintage Mullard xf2 OO. Add or subtract 1 or 2 points depending on how you value the tonal sound signature

Perspective time: Even the difference between 0  and 9 is probably objectively quite small. It won't turn Diana Krall into Ella Fitzgerald, and it won't turn an SR-507 into an 009. OTOH, on a subjective music enjoyment level,  once I've latched on to a 1 point improvement, I don't like it taken away again. YMMV a lot from this.

To relate the above scores to my other BHSE tweaks:
  1. The AMR fuses on AC input will add 1 point to any of the above combinations.
  2. The AMR fuses on power supply output will add 0 to 2 points depending on fuse direction!?!  - see Note 1.
  3. The Herbie Halo III dampers will add 1 to 2 points to any of the tubes, other than the Treasures, which were too big to try. Of all the above changes, I found the tube dampers the most difficult to quantify. Still evaluating with the xf2s.

Note 1:
I know, I know, I KNOW! But I always tell it how I hear it.
The use of AMR fuse in the power supply output was a temporary test because the BHSE requires Fast Blow fuses at this location and AMR doesn't do those, so I need to find equivalents  to match the spec. I may be daft, but I'm not stupid, so I won't risk amp damage if I can help it.

If you take costs into account, I've previously said that the AMR fuses, at £15 apiece,  are the best VFM  tweak of all time. Ever.
But the MB tubes, at around £95/quad, now probably take this VFM honour. For me it's not a competition, as the benefits are cumulative - every little bit helps.

In conclusion, my advice to the imminent new BHSE owners is still the same: Enjoy it as is. You may well find you need go no further. But if you do get that upgrade itch, then at least you'll know that it really can get better than this.

Nice write up Attorney. Not much to add (in terms of preference). If you like the xf2, my only suggestion is to try and spring for a NOS quad of them to use as a baseline for everything else. It should help determine how close used ones are as well.

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #6,163 of 9,890
As always, much depends on the rest of the system. Based on their respective sound signatures, I would expect the xf2s to pull further ahead of the MBs if mated with SR-009s, compared to my relatively darker 007 Mk1s. I'll know for sure when I receive the 009s - finally pulled the trigger a few weeks ago after years of procrastination. Only downside is that the 009s have a waiting list again - next UK delivery is scheduled for December
frown.gif

In the meantime, I'm not buying anythig else, but last night I did get some success with changing the position of the Herbie dampers on the xf2s, which seem to prefer a different position to ny previous tubes (I know, I know, I KNOW!), but too soon to say if this observation is reliable or repeatable.

Oct 20, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #6,164 of 9,890
  As always, much depends on the rest of the system. Based on their respective sound signatures, I would expect the xf2s to pull further ahead of the MBs if mated with SR-009s, compared to my relatively darker 007 Mk1s. I'll know for sure when I receive the 009s - finally pulled the trigger a few weeks ago after years of procrastination. Only downside is that the 009s have a waiting list again - next UK delivery is scheduled for December
frown.gif

In the meantime, I'm not buying anythig else, but last night I did get some success with changing the position of the Herbie dampers on the xf2s, which seem to prefer a different position to ny previous tubes (I know, I know, I KNOW!), but too soon to say if this observation is reliable or repeatable.

Hi Attorney,
You could get the 009's direct via Japan from PriceJapan.com.     I'm waiting for mine to arrive (hopefully in next few days) currently with ParcelForce in Customs office in Coventry since last Wednesday.  They only took two days to get from Japan to UK !

Where abouts do you live in the UK ?   Would be nice to hear your BHSE.  !  

Oct 20, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #6,165 of 9,890

frown.gif

Hi Attorney,
You could get the 009's direct via Japan from PriceJapan.com.     I'm waiting for mine to arrive (hopefully in next few days) currently with ParcelForce in Customs office in Coventry since last Wednesday.  They only took two days to get from Japan to UK !

Where abouts do you live in the UK ?   Would be nice to hear your BHSE.  !  

I got my 009's from PJ and to what I recall UK customs had them for two weeks before they release them.

Also some have said about an imbalance problem with their 009's which they got from PJ, but I've had no problem with my 009's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back