Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
May 10, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #5,176 of 9,902
At last some common sense 
popcorn.gif

Quote:
Yes I'm a proud owner of the BHSE that I had to wait 15 months for, and I'd have obviously wanted it sooner, but not once did I write a post complaining about the wait time.

May 10, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #5,177 of 9,902
More than the wait time whining, I was more referring to the sad and shocking news that high voltage electrostatic amps are a breed on verge of extinction for lack of appropriate sand. You have a BHSE so you're good, but not everyone is in the same boat. Imagining this stuff may become a rarity (it already is honestly, haven't ever seen one in Japan for instance) is kinda sad...

On the other hand, there's such a healthy growth in electro-dynamics and especially orthos market, definitely Justin should look in that direction. He already is with the GS-X but point is there's such a large market when you go back to low voltage stuff...

arnaud

It's unfortunate that Justin might eventually have to stop building the BHSE, because I think that amp sounds better than the GS-Xmk2, but that's mainly since using PH tubes with my BHSE, ( this is while using the 009's ) however IMO the GS-X is still an amazing amp, so for those that mightn't have the opportunity in ordering the BHSE, might still be very happy with the GS-X.

In me thinking the BHSE sounding better than the GS-X, is while using the 009's with the BHSE, and using LCD-XC's with the GS-Xmk2.

May 10, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #5,178 of 9,902
Not a chance. I see great sales for good tube based amplifiers. It is a market that is alive and kicking. Hey, even Esoteric make
a valve amp! And I know for a fact working with tube amp manufacturers, that the Chinese can't get enough of valve based amps
and efficient speakers to go with them.

The survival of such a company is not so much the market wanting them, it is to me, the SQ v price v service backup.
It is a smaller but quite competitive market so obviously the SQ and parts quality has to align with the price to sell in
any quantities.

I am new to the Electrostatic forum, but I can see a micro version of this same market here. At least we have 4 or 5 good
amps that can realistically fight it out for the top spot, which has to be good for the consumer right?

Here's hoping it goes from strength to strength.

BTW I see some saying the market is tiny, and I understand that, based on say 40 x 009s made per month. But there is
a strong following for the 007s and even the Koss models (which probably sell more units than 40 pm),
that may look to buy a BHSE or WOO WES. Maybe it is not as small as we may imagine?

May 10, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #5,179 of 9,902
I guess there will be some wild speculation going round once Justin stops producing the BHSE as to what new amp he might turn his talents to.
... T2,SuSy Dynahi?
:veryevil: :wink:

May 10, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #5,180 of 9,902
Its very difficult at the moment at least to compete with the Chinese on price. Quality, build options and innovation is another matter which is where Justin can score. I have purchased several Headamp's over the years and they have always been top notch.  
It won't be long before a Chinese outfit clones the BHSE, we think there may be a clone being produced now of the KGSS?

Yes the Chinese make boat loads of valves/tubes these days but many are of dubious quality and some sound like finger-nails being drawn down glass. I wish they would go for quality rather than quantity. Suppose its a bit like when the Japanese first started producing electronics, quite poor initially but world leaders in many fields now.

Maybe Justin might start producing the Megatron Stat Amp from the same designer as the BHSE. If interested you will have to Google it as linking to it is prohibited here. 

Quote:
Not a chance. I see great sales for good tube based amplifiers. It is a market that is alive and kicking. Hey, even Esoteric make
a valve amp! And I know for a fact working with tube amp manufacturers, that the Chinese can't get enough of valve based amps
and efficient speakers to go with them.

The survival of such a company is not so much the market wanting them, it is to me, the SQ v price v service backup.
It is a smaller but quite competitive market so obviously the SQ and parts quality has to align with the price to sell in
any quantities.

I am new to the Electrostatic forum, but I can see a micro version of this same market here. At least we have 4 or 5 good
amps that can realistically fight it out for the top spot, which has to be good for the consumer right?

Here's hoping it goes from strength to strength.

BTW I see some saying the market is tiny, and I understand that, based on say 40 x 009s made per month. But there is
a strong following for the 007s and even the Koss models (which probably sell more units than 40 pm),
that may look to buy a BHSE or WOO WES. Maybe it is not as small as we may imagine?

May 10, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #5,181 of 9,902
Yes, the sad reality is that with the demise of CRT televisions and monitors there is really no mass-market applications left for the particular high voltage parts that are used in the BHSE so they are becoming extinct.

The BHSE while using tubes is essentially a solid state amp at its core; it has virtually no similarity to a typical valve amplifier design.

On a side note: While the 009's are in high demand and are typically what one uses with the BHSE; you want to have some (alternative) fun on the cheap? Order a set of the new Stax SR-003 MK2 "in-the-earspeaker" from Justin and run them off the BHSE, crazy good, yes really. 

May 10, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #5,182 of 9,902
Yes, there are poor quality Chinese valves about, but I have been using TJ Full Music 300Bs in my SET amps for years, and they are very close to top US made valves. If the Chinese made top quality capacitors that could / would reduce the price of good quality amps for sure.

Seems to me that there are 2 worlds in the Chinese markets, and the better quality stuff is a small but slowly improving part of it.
Trouble is, even the Chinese don't seem to trust their own stuff, having to resort to coming to London to buy genuine (none copies ) products...

May 10, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #5,183 of 9,902
its the low capacitance lateral mosfets that are the problem to source at the moment.
All the other parts have or will soon have replacements due to the growing solar
power market which is going to be around a very long time.

audio-gd is an example of chinese made product that has the quality to compete with
the boutique american manufacturers at a price no one can compete with.

i expect more and more high end chinese product to show up at some point.

May 10, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #5,185 of 9,902
  Come off it,I've just bought a VTL S200 for that money.A product that is new to the Market and I got it delivered ( to the UK ) within 2 months of audition! (I think I put up £1000 deposit) This unit is receiving critical acclaim and is in much demand!....and there's a lot more (technically) to it!! So, without getting into the argument of just how good it is(with the 009s) makes you think??!!

Why is Apple thinking of wasting their time and money on Beats when they could buy HeadAmp, and Stax, for that matter, and then apply their standard distribution techniques?  Hmm.  Anyone got Tim Cook's email address?

May 10, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #5,186 of 9,902
apple should buy Harman international first.

the ss dynahi is a very powerful amp for low impedance low efficiency headphones.

what I need to do is come up with something between the gsx2 and the ss dynahi
that is fully differential and balanced and not goofy high amounts of power.

May 11, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #5,188 of 9,902
apple should buy Harman international first.

the ss dynahi is a very powerful amp for low impedance low efficiency headphones.

what I need to do is come up with something between the gsx2 and the ss dynahi
that is fully differential and balanced and not goofy high amounts of power.
Thanks Kevin, contact me when it's ready to go! :D :wink:

.... Why didn't I study electrical engineering at uni? Lol.

May 11, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #5,189 of 9,902
Because Apple is into mass mass market stuff sold in the millions that can be made for peanuts in the far east with huge profit margins!! Its estimated the $650 iphone cost apple less than $200 to make
eek.gif

Personally I just don't think think these would scale that easily to millions of units while retaining the quality and attention to detail. The EStat market is quite niche too with an entry level cost above crap like Beats and Dr Dre.

I agree with you sentiment though

Quote:
  Why is Apple thinking of wasting their time and money on Beats when they could buy HeadAmp, and Stax, for that matter, and then apply their standard distribution techniques?  Hmm.  Anyone got Tim Cook's email address?

May 11, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #5,190 of 9,902
There is also development taking place I believe combining tubes/transistors into a single device to exploit the best attributes of both. I dont know if this is going to include produce anything suitable.
However I believe KR Audio (KRON) in the Czech Republic developed and manufactured a hybrid tube including silicon technology the Vacuum Transistor but it was a bit before its time.
Quote:
its the low capacitance lateral mosfets that are the problem to source at the moment.
All the other parts have or will soon have replacements due to the growing solar
power market which is going to be around a very long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back