Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
May 9, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #5,161 of 9,902
But aside from this, if the BHSE is that good at my demo, I will risk it. But I still don't like the terms.....

I think I've mentioned to you before Julian, that when you come and audition my BHSE, in which you're bringing your 007mk2's and SRM-717, aswell as my K-01 being used as source, my iPod should also be used.

Although I tried this sometime ago, today I decided to try it again, and that was to listen to my UM Miracles with my GS-Xmk2 and Pico Slim both via my K-01, and yes the GS-X sounded the better of the two amps, but the Pico Slim wasn't that far behind, which I believe the K-01 had a lot to do with that.

May 9, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #5,162 of 9,902
Not to mention if the BHSE was sold via normal retail channels it would cost at least $10,000-$12,000, possibly even more.

Agreed 100%.  Easily 10 to 12k.  Folks should not forget that the way that Justin is making BHSE now is more or less a custom amp.  One way to speed up the process is to limit to a black or silver version.  Additionally, those who wants a custom color will have a much longer lead time and pay additional cost.  This way Justin will be able to keep the black/silver one in stock.

May 9, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #5,163 of 9,902
As far as these expensive amps, GS-X and BHSE, it seems he doesn't want to have them in stock, but rather all orders be part of a future batch, so that they are more or less paid for when completed. I can understand the safety in that method for him, but it does mean no one will ever be able to order one and have it delivered in a few days, regardless of the color or options.

May 9, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #5,164 of 9,902
As far as these expensive amps, GS-X and BHSE, it seems he doesn't want to have them in stock, but rather all orders be part of a future batch, so that they are more or less paid for when completed. I can understand the safety in that method for him, but it does mean no one will ever be able to order one and have it delivered in a few days, regardless of the color or options.

I'm sure he is gearing up that way for future deliveries.  

May 10, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #5,166 of 9,902
I'm wondering how much VTL products would be if they could be got directly from VTL, unless of course the distributor do their job for nothing.

Hi Dave
My comment was initially in response to 'Vinyllp33' who made the point about the additional costs involved when selling through a Distributor.(the point was also being made about Justin perhaps running a more 'commercial' set-up- to alleviate waiting times)
The issue being discussed was Justin's pricing/supply policy with the BHSE
I know you've made similar comments in the past,I think  concerning the K-01- that is , the cost retail in the UK verses direct from Price Japan.
Clearly, the product is going to cost more but in return the buyer receives certain safe guards and back-up service.
My VTL Amp is now 'run-in'. Soon, both my HiFi Dealer and a representative from the Distributor will attend my home to 'fine-tune' the system and at the same time demonstrate a number of other products,including power cables ,interconnects grounding and distribution. This has to be paid for somewhere?
'Vinyllp33 suggest that if Justin where to operate a similar system the cost of the BHSE might be as much as $10,00-12,000(a lot more by the time it got to the UK!)
As I previously stated,if that was the case,compared to the VTL S200 (which I fully understand is not a headphone Amp)which would sell (in the US)for about the same money, then it makes you think when you buy a product for $6500 and takes(apparently)over two years to arrive(under the current system)
David
PS Quite what 'Complin' was going on about,I don't know.Perhaps as an IT Consultant, a google search may have provided the answer?

May 10, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #5,167 of 9,902
Hi David,

I hope you're happy with your VTL, and yes it's annoying that the K-01 can be got for at less than half the cost than it is in the UK. This is why when I'm ready to go for a different source ( assuming I do ) I'll be getting in touch with PriceJapan.

May 10, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #5,168 of 9,902

there are pros and cons to both. i don't want long lead times, and i also don't want things sitting on the shelf. I also can't continue devoting all of my time to pursuit of aesthetic perfection on just 2 products, so something is going to have to change there. Luckily, Head-Fi has grown enough that it is possible for a manufacturer to be successful with just 2 or 3 products so it is ok for now. The next batch of BHSEs, which I hope to finish much faster than the current ones, is probably going to be the last as critical discontinued Japanese components are very hard to find now. Since it is a "Special Edition" -- originally going to be just 10 amplifiers! -- i will find a nice round number to cap it at.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
May 10, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #5,169 of 9,902
Well no!
Now that you have clarified the point you were trying to make its a valid one.
If Justin operated in the same way as VTL then his product would undoubtedly cost considerably more due to all the profit margins involved in the supply chain, marketing, warranty work etc. A friend of mine who owns a hifi emporium told me that often as much as 50% of the retail price of the equipment is eaten up in these costs. Usually you see the US $ price translated directly to UK £, so if it sells for $1000 we end up paying £1000 which at current rates is $1685!  

I see the  VTL S200 sells for $10,000 in the US but £11,500 ($19,400 equiv) in the UK

Quote:
  Hi Dave
My comment was initially in response to 'Vinyllp33' who made the point about the additional costs involved when selling through a Distributor.(the point was also being made about Justin perhaps running a more 'commercial' set-up- to alleviate waiting times)
The issue being discussed was Justin's pricing/supply policy with the BHSE
I know you've made similar comments in the past,I think  concerning the K-01- that is , the cost retail in the UK verses direct from Price Japan.
Clearly, the product is going to cost more but in return the buyer receives certain safe guards and back-up service.
My VTL Amp is now 'run-in'. Soon, both my HiFi Dealer and a representative from the Distributor will attend my home to 'fine-tune' the system and at the same time demonstrate a number of other products,including power cables ,interconnects grounding and distribution. This has to be paid for somewhere?
'Vinyllp33 suggest that if Justin where to operate a similar system the cost of the BHSE might be as much as $10,00-12,000(a lot more by the time it got to the UK!)
As I previously stated,if that was the case,compared to the VTL S200 (which I fully understand is not a headphone Amp)which would sell (in the US)for about the same money, then it makes you think when you buy a product for $6500 and takes(apparently)over two years to arrive(under the current system)
David
PS Quite what 'Complin' was going on about,I don't know.Perhaps as an IT Consultant, a google search may have provided the answer?

May 10, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #5,170 of 9,902
The next batch of BHSEs, which I hope to finish much faster than the current ones, is probably going to be the last as critical discontinued Japanese components are very hard to find now. Since it is a "Special Edition" -- originally going to be just 10 amplifiers! -- i will find a nice round number to cap it at.

I think you'd still be successful if you decided to build only portable amps and DAC's. You'd also probably end up with a lot less hassle, but that's only IMO.

May 10, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #5,171 of 9,902
I think you'd still be successful if you decided to build only portable amps and DAC's. You'd also probably end up with a lot less hassle, but that's only IMO.

Selfish of you to say, happy BHSE owner you are :wink:

May 10, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #5,172 of 9,902
Agreed 100%. Easily 10 to 12k. Folks should not forget that the way that Justin is making BHSE now is more or less a custom amp. One way to speed up the process is to limit to a black or silver version. Additionally, those who wants a custom color will have a much longer lead time and pay additional cost. This way Justin will be able to keep the black/silver one in stock.

Yes I can see that. My experience with working with small niche valve amplifier manufacturers (on marketing and web design), is they often try to design in modules. So the power supply board is the same on a pre-amp, and also a DAC. And they tend to have upgraded parts in higher models, but the board layout is the same or similar. I guess it can work by clever design and profits of scale.

I can see if Head-Amp have ever increasing success with the BHSE sales, it won't come down in price, but it 'may' become an in stock item with 2 week delivery?
Dunno, but that would be great for both Justin and other manufacturers, and the headphone community.

I see this market is niche, but I also think so many folk are on their computers at home more and more, and they have an opportunity to multi task work or browsing, and listen to music at the same time.
That is what I am doing, so I imagine a lot of others are as well? This in turn opens up a BIG market of high end users who are willing to spend serious money on audiophile phone systems.
This has got be a win win for anyone right?

May 10, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #5,173 of 9,902

Selfish of you to say, happy BHSE owner you are :wink:

Who's the selfish one(s), me that's suggesting Justin had more of a life rather than trying to please others that order the BHSE or GS-Xmk2, or those that after ordering either amp are writing posts moaning about the wait time.
Yes I'm a proud owner of the BHSE that I had to wait 15 months for, and I'd have obviously wanted it sooner, but not once did I write a post complaining about the wait time.

May 10, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #5,174 of 9,902
Who's the selfish one(s), me that's suggesting Justin had more of a life rather than trying to please others that order the BHSE or GS-Xmk2, or those that after ordering either amp are writing posts moaning about the wait time.
Yes I'm a proud owner of the BHSE that I had to wait 15 months for, and I'd have obviously wanted it sooner, but not once did I write a post complaining about the wait time.

More than the wait time whining, I was more referring to the sad and shocking news that high voltage electrostatic amps are a breed on verge of extinction for lack of appropriate sand. You have a BHSE so you're good, but not everyone is in the same boat. Imagining this stuff may become a rarity (it already is honestly, haven't ever seen one in Japan for instance) is kinda sad...

On the other hand, there's such a healthy growth in electro-dynamics and especially orthos market, definitely Justin should look in that direction. He already is with the GS-X but point is there's such a large market when you go back to low voltage stuff...

arnaud

May 10, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #5,175 of 9,902

More than the wait time whining, I was more referring to the sad and shocking news that high voltage electrostatic amps are a breed on verge of extinction for lack of appropriate sand. (...)
arnaud

Is this applicable to all tubes designs also?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back