Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jan 24, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #6,752 of 9,899
Hey I thought it was answered here somewhere but searching hasn't brought up any answers. Could somebody tell me the dimensions of these? Justin just put out the email to pick colors, so I should start to figure out where in the heck I'm going to put it. 

OK dug a little deeper

AMP 15.5" W x 13" D x 4.5" H + Height of Tubes
   PSU 7.5" W x 13" D x 4.5" H

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #6,753 of 9,899
Yep, diminsions on the website. Be aware that cords take up several more inches behind the boxes.

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #6,755 of 9,899
Amp chassis by itself: 15.5" x 12.5" x 3"
- the attenuator adds 13/16" to the 12.5" depth and the RCA jacks add 11/16" more
- the amp's cone feet add 1 1/2" to the height and the tubes when installed add 3 3/4" more.

PSU chassis by itself: 7 5/8" x 12 3/8" x 3.5"
- the PSU's cone feet add 1 1/16"

Weight 15lbs each for amps and PSU.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #6,756 of 9,899
No the dimensions on the website are blank, as are most of the other stats. Weight would be useful too if anybody has it. 

Sorry, I thought they were there.

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #6,760 of 9,899
Question regarding tube setup. Since I read somewhere on this thread that Bhse doesn't need matched quad set and 2 matched dual set would work as well.

Where do one place one match dual tubes and the other set?

Can the two set of duals be different model year of the same brand or different brand of el34?

Thank you for the help in advance.

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #6,761 of 9,899
Question regarding tube setup. Since I read somewhere on this thread that Bhse doesn't need matched quad set and 2 matched dual set would work as well.

Where do one place one match dual tubes and the other set?

Can the two set of duals be different model year of the same brand or different brand of el34?

Thank you for the help in advance.

Don't know for sure without reverse engineering the circuit from the board, but peeking at the circuit board from online pictures indicates the left two (front-back) are one channel, and the right two are the other (presumably left channel and right channel in that order). 

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #6,763 of 9,899
For those who like to have more tube warmth with the SR009, does it make sense to add a good preamp in front of the BHSE? Thinking of using the Apex Teton as preamp. Will the addition of another component detract from transparency too much? I know that's a bit contradictory as the very point of doing that is to add some tube distortion, but my question is whether anyone has done this and gotten good results.

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #6,764 of 9,899
For those who like to have more tube warmth with the SR009, does it make sense to add a good preamp in front of the BHSE? Thinking of using the Apex Teton as preamp. Will the addition of another component detract from transparency too much? I know that's a bit contradictory as the very point of doing that is to add some tube distortion, but my question is whether anyone has done this and gotten good results.

An interesting subject indeed. I have also pondered this at length. Let me explain my situation.

I have a tubed Audio Note DAC 4.1 and had an Audio Note M3 pre-amp connected that then fed my Power amps which were 300B SETs at that time.
Then I realised the output stage in my DAC which had 2 x 5687 tubes and transformers on the output had 2 volts output and a very low 10 ohm output impedance.

So I bought a Khozmo Passive 48 step pre-amp, and then connected this direct to my DAC. I also have a selector on the passive to feed my KGSShv direct (full signal level).

So, if you have the BHSE you can thus connect that directly to your DAC via RCA or balanced. Make sure you turn the pot right down on your BHSE first.

If you already are using the BHSE direct to your DAC and find it is a bit bright, look at the length of your RCA leads. They need too be really short. If you use glanced then you are ok.

I would then look at a DAC swop. The BHSE and 009s are very detailed, but you are ok if your source is clean and not over bright or digital. Look at the threads on PSVanes, it tames the treble a bit on the BHSE and gives a warmer sound.

Or change your DAC to a none oversampling type with tubes. I did that and never looked back. I have a brand new Audio Note DAC 3.1 for sale if you are interested. It is as smooth as vinyl, sounds very organic and has great bass power. Not digital sounding at all. NOS DACs with tubes are a revelation to those lucky to hear them!

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #6,765 of 9,899
An interesting subject indeed. I have also pondered this at length. Let me explain my situation.

I have a tubed Audio Note DAC 4.1 and had an Audio Note M3 pre-amp connected that then fed my Power amps which were 300B SETs at that time.
Then I realised the output stage in my DAC which had 2 x 5687 tubes and transformers on the output had 2 volts output and a very low 10 ohm output impedance.

So I bought a Khozmo Passive 48 step pre-amp, and then connected this direct to my DAC. I also have a selector on the passive to feed my KGSShv direct (full signal level).

So, if you have the BHSE you can thus connect that directly to your DAC via RCA or balanced. Make sure you turn the pot right down on your BHSE first.

If you already are using the BHSE direct to your DAC and find it is a bit bright, look at the length of your RCA leads. They need too be really short. If you use glanced then you are ok.

I would then look at a DAC swop. The BHSE and 009s are very detailed, but you are ok if your source is clean and not over bright or digital. Look at the threads on PSVanes, it tames the treble a bit on the BHSE and gives a warmer sound.

Or change your DAC to a none oversampling type with tubes. I did that and never looked back. I have a brand new Audio Note DAC 3.1 for sale if you are interested. It is as smooth as vinyl, sounds very organic and has great bass power. Not digital sounding at all. NOS DACs with tubes are a revelation to those lucky to hear them!
I suppose I haven't quite followed what you are saying and how it answers my question. You mean it is not a good idea to use a preamp with the BHSE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back