Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jan 10, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #6,736 of 9,902
  The long wait time is why I've decided not to order a BHSE and go a different route. As I see it, Justin doesn't communicate per personal messaging well (for whatever reason.)
He does however update the masses in this thread, for whatever that is worth.

My take is do your homework on how the runs work and make your informed decision from there. Once you pay the man, A. Sit tight. B. Request a refund.

This goes back to simply reading about some waiting 2+ years for their BHSE. If you want something now, get something else.

Beating a dead horse eh.  Everyone who read this thread knew that Justin takes time to do his thing including replying any business related email,pm or why.

One would know that why people bothered to post their questions here directly to Justin if they truly knew what is going on.  

Still don't know?  It is not about the long wait time as I waited 30+ month for mine.  It is about the false hope as I paid the 75% final payment in end of March last year while Justin wrote in the email that the unit will be shipped within one month.  Guess what, not happened until the end of 2014.   As Maus said, it is about the false hope/promise that ticks people off and not replying msg just added oil to the fire.

If you condone to sales tactics like this, you better pray to have have something rare like BHSE or have mad skills on whatever.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #6,737 of 9,902
Wow.  1st post on P450.

Just got my quad set of XF2 00 Philips Mini Watts.  Wondering if there is special attention that I should be aware to remove the re-issue EL34?

Do I just put in the new set in any random spot?  

Thanks for answering up front.

Jan 10, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #6,738 of 9,902
  Wow.  1st post on P450.

Just got my quad set of XF2 00 Philips Mini Watts.  Wondering if there is special attention that I should be aware to remove the re-issue EL34?

Do I just put in the new set in any random spot?  

Thanks for answering up front.

Do a search in this thread for 'offset'. You'll find lots of info on what you need to do (make sure you read Justin's step-by-step video on how to the adjustments).

If you have 4 matched tubes it doesn't matter where they go (hopefully the seller marked the boxes with some measurement). If they're not all the same measurements, you should try and get 2 matched pairs, or as close to that as possible.

One matched pair goes on the left side, the other matched pair goes on the right side. Then do the offset adjustments you learned about in Justin's video (fairly simple task).

I would suggest you track the stock tubes by putting some tape on the base and writing which socket they came from (Left Front, Left Back, Right Front, Right Back). Same thing if you ever take the xf2's out later on.

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #6,740 of 9,902
Does swapping the tubes really throw balance and offset off? I would be surprised that any adjustment would be needed if you were going to xf2 tubes - as long as you aren't using some variant tube you should be fine. No matter how many different tube sets I have tried in my T2, balance and offset never changed.

Not really (my experience has been the same as yours). However, just to be cautious I always reset everything back to zero and test a few times afterwards to make sure the tubes themselves are stable (who knows what condition some of these NOS tubes really are).

I also wanted to mention, I only do this once when I initially received the tubes. I never do it afterwards when swapping them out for something else (or back in).

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #6,741 of 9,902
  Do a search in this thread for 'offset'. You'll find lots of info on what you need to do (make sure you read Justin's step-by-step video on how to the adjustments).

If you have 4 matched tubes it doesn't matter where they go (hopefully the seller marked the boxes with some measurement). If they're not all the same measurements, you should try and get 2 matched pairs, or as close to that as possible.

One matched pair goes on the left side, the other matched pair goes on the right side. Then do the offset adjustments you learned about in Justin's video (fairly simple task).

I would suggest you track the stock tubes by putting some tape on the base and writing which socket they came from (Left Front, Left
Back, Right Front, Right Back). Same thing if you ever take the xf2's out later on.

Thanks Golfnutz,

This is the video I assume. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdMR9pZ3IcQ

They are indeed match quad set as the seller claims.

I am anxious to try them out but don't have a multimeter right now to test.  Would this cause any issue w/o zeroing it or I best go out and get a multimeter today before attempting the swap?

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #6,742 of 9,902
  Thanks Golfnutz,

This is the video I assume. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdMR9pZ3IcQ

They are indeed match quad set as the seller claims.

I am anxious to try them out but don't have a multimeter right now to test.  Would this cause any issue w/o zeroing it or I best go out and get a multimeter today before attempting the swap?

Correct, that's the video.

Go for it. I wouldn't worry about the offset too much for now, but I don't think it would harm getting a multi meter when you have a chance (considering they aren't that expensive, and peace of mind).

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #6,744 of 9,902
He's alive 
beerchug.gif

Ali

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #6,745 of 9,902
Is the BHSE weak in bass or body in the midrange? ...

...  I would not say it is weak in the bass or mids, IMO that is and YOMV.

+1.  At a CanJam at RMAF 2012 I listened to BHSE, LL, and WES, and did not find the BHSE lacking in the bass or in midrange body.  Two more references; first, with the 009s and my Stax T1 (not T2!, which I can only wish I had had) I "felt" I could use a little more bass weight but had never any complaints about the midrange.  When the BHSE replaced the T1 I got more bass weight which ameliorated that "feeling".  Second, that "feeling" came primarily from my experience with the absolute sound (not the mag!) of classical music, primarily orchestral (incl. opera) with some organ.  Bottom line, I agree with those who characterize the BHSE as a straight wire with gain.  As always, IMO, YMMV.  
wink_face.gif

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #6,746 of 9,902
i'll get the pictures i promised this weekend..i have BHSEs burning in at 3 different locations right now. As of right now, 76% of the BHSEs in this batch are either shipped, on the burn-in rack, or have been tested and will burn in next. The emails about those latest ones went out a while ago, but they will all be shipped this month (and that includes Australia and Japan). The last 24% are a variety of 115v and 230v, including some payments that came later or have not yet been made, those will ship first half of February.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jan 19, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #6,747 of 9,902

Lots of gear arrives sans power cord now adays.  I will be running my BHSE straight out of the socket, using a 14 guage power cord with right angle connectors (3 feet) which fits my installation just right.  I have a couple of "medium high end" power cords without noticing a difference.  I'm sure I am not as discerning as some folks, but I would rather spend my money elsewhere.

I had found the beefiest-looking IEC cable in the house when my BHSE arrived.  In the meantime I've been watching Audio Advisor for a sale on something decent.  I ended up getting a Pangea AC14XL.  It's their top of the line for "source components", so possibly not optimal for the BHSE, but I wanted to see if it mattered.  Sadly, it does.
1) Better integration of violin harmonics with fundamentals.  A separate sheen on the violins that I had been trying to remove with the load resistor for my MC cartridge was substantially reduced with the Pangea.
2) The Pangea gives integration of bass harmonics with fundamentals, which are slightly more prominent.  I had previously noted that I could hear basses "humming" without their proper harmonics.  That is reduced. 
Probably a "duh" point: the power cable matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back