Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Dec 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #4,456 of 9,902
nope.

its a lifestyle change.

that and every single really good French restaurant in Chicago has closed. 
Le Francais, Carlos, Le Titi de Paris, Charlie Trotters... very sad

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #4,457 of 9,902
About the T2, it's worth mentionning the schematics were provided by stax to the diy community FOR the diy community and not commercial cloning by third parties.

About the KG and JW, everybody knows justin bakes bread for a living, kevin is manfucturer of torsaded cable with special properties and there's another bloke who has designed all the stat amps like kgss (kg stands for keine glukricht, which itself means voltage alright in norslandinc language). And yes, absolutely nobody has met or seen a pic of any of these people, it's that mysterious!

That's not quite true.  I bought a T2 and had it shipped to Kevin and as a surprise it had the full schematics included.  They were naturally incorrect as all Stax schematics are but we fixed the issues and drew up the actual schematic.  Since Stax know us we were allowed to share the design but never the actual Stax schematics.  The design will always be DIY only too, nobody will ever be allowed to make a commercial version of the T2. 

Stax's own T2 also seems to suffer from thermal issues, and the PSU is always operating at 50% capacity. Someone else can confirm this while I finish up my Justin Gilmore Megatron

All Stax made T2's will die eventually and there is no good way of preventing or even fixing it.  The filament transformer will simply die, no way around that. 

I've lost 40 lbs since that picture.

...even with my efforts to turn that loss into gain... . 
tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #4,458 of 9,902
nope.

its a lifestyle change.

But but that can't be.....some people think you reside in Charlottesville, VA. :p

Dec 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #4,460 of 9,902

Whew . . . glad I was wrong about that space time thing . . . sorry if the sci-fi spoof was too over-the-top . . .

Is it true that drinking Macallan 12 helps attenuate the effects of a trebly headphone?

That is so weird.  How did you know about me and Macallan?   But, since I'm off the sauce I now tame the trebles with a graphic equalizer.  http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/

Cheers and seasons greeting to all 
beerchug.gif

Richard

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #4,462 of 9,902
  nope.

its a lifestyle change.

A qui le dites vous, très cher et très estimable Kevin ?
Living in Paris is an every day challenge 
biggrin.gif
 Besides the food issue stand the delirious price tag of Stax stuff down there...

Ali

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #4,464 of 9,902
  one of the challenges in designing these amplifiers over the past decade has been the discontinuation of low noise and high voltage transistors suitable for audio. it's something i deal with everyday trying to source parts for the BHSE. on one particular component 3 out of every 4 orders i receive are fake parts. i have to test all of them

I'm suddenly curious to confirm the legitimacy of the parts in my DIY Blue Hawaii. What procedures do you use for testing? Just confirm that the curves appear to match what's expected in the datasheet?

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #4,465 of 9,902
I'm suddenly curious to confirm the legitimacy of the parts in my DIY Blue Hawaii. What procedures do you use for testing? Just confirm that the curves appear to match what's expected in the datasheet?

Yours should have the legitimate parts otherwise it would not work in the first place. Justin is notorious about a thorough testing of each components including front panel LEDs.

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #4,466 of 9,902
most fakes don't meet the V breakdown specs - some builders do use a curve tracer to get hfe curves  too

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #4,467 of 9,902
a lot of the fakes are not even the same pinout. solder them in, power them up, and instant
smoke. The rest like the fake 2sa1968 are 300 volt or lower parts, and blow instantly
when powered up.

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #4,468 of 9,902
  a lot of the fakes are not even the same pinout. solder them in, power them up, and instant
smoke. The rest like the fake 2sa1968 are 300 volt or lower parts, and blow instantly
when powered up.

imagine that, be rightly pissed off

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #4,469 of 9,902
i've filed 6 chargebacks in the past 2 months on fake parts. most of the time the sellers never even see the parts. they are just brokers. I also found there is a complete lack of understanding in China of the problem with selling fake parts. here is a response I got from a major broker when I challenged the fake parts:

Code:
 Sorry for that, i just double checked with our supplier, these 2 items are made in China parts, so maybe it can not meet your request, but the parts are not fake parts, some customers can use it.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Dec 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #4,470 of 9,902
spritzer and I ended up with about 500 fake parts from dalbani
(nikko-electronics.co.uk) very bad people to deal with.
they eventually replaced the parts with real parts, but charged
us additional to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back