Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Dec 17, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #4,441 of 9,902
I think that people are missing the obvious point here. Justin and Kevin are clearly separate individuals. Kevin is the outcome of 40 years of collaborative research between NASA, CERN and Blue Note Records. He is the first polymetal alloy construction to utilise femtonanonics. Justin on the other hand is just some guy, but more importantly no one has ever seen Justin and Batman in the same place! Make of that what you will...

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #4,443 of 9,902
  Okay, so I think some of my questions have been answered. So the reason there is no commercial version of the T2 other than Stax's original T2 is because Stax has forbidden any third party from implementing T2's design for commercial purposes, so we're only stuck with DIY. Here are a few more questions...

1. What is so special about this T2? For anyone who has heard it--either the Stax or DIY version--is it really the best-sounding electrostatic amplifier ever created, surpassing even the mighty BHSE? How would you describe its sound, and its advantages/disadvantages compared to BHSE?

Well, I got to hear a friend's DIY T2 and I was awestruck! Simply the best I've heard the SR-007MK1 or MK2s. Now my KGSSHV does a fantastic job with my newly acquired SR-007MK1s and my SR-009s, but that T2 was truly an experience! 

I haven't yet heard a BHSE, but the T2 had zero sonic disadvantages to my ears. Physically it's a monster and it runs on the hot side and it's at least $5k in parts alone. Beyond that, this is the mac-daddy of Stax amps. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #4,445 of 9,902

Okay, so I think some of my questions have been answered. So the reason there is no commercial version of the T2 other than Stax's original T2 is because Stax has forbidden any third party from implementing T2's design for commercial purposes, so we're only stuck with DIY. Here are a few more questions...

1. What is so special about this T2? For anyone who has heard it--either the Stax or DIY version--is it really the best-sounding electrostatic amplifier ever created, surpassing even the mighty BHSE? How would you describe its sound, and its advantages/disadvantages compared to BHSE?

Well, I got to hear a friend's DIY T2 and I was awestruck! Simply the best I've heard the SR-007MK1 or MK2s. Now my KGSSHV does a fantastic job with my newly acquired SR-007MK1s and my SR-009s, but that T2 was truly an experience! 

I haven't yet heard a BHSE, but the T2 had zero sonic disadvantages to my ears. Physically it's a monster and it runs on the hot side and it's at least $5k in parts alone. Beyond that, this is the mac-daddy of Stax amps. 

Speaking of KGSSHV, what is the difference between the high voltage version and regular KGSS? Which is a more expensive, overall better sounding amp (with either SR-007 or SR-009)?

I also newly acquired the SR-007 mk1, do you think it is better than SR-009 like what many people say, with your KGSSHV?

Lastly, is your KGSSHV commercially built, or DIY? Is there a legit commercial vendor that builds KGSSHV? If it's DIY, who built it?

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #4,446 of 9,902

Speaking of KGSSHV, what is the difference between the high voltage version and regular KGSS? Which is a more expensive, overall better sounding amp (with either SR-007 or SR-009)?

I also newly acquired the SR-007 mk1, do you think it is better than SR-009 like what many people say, with your KGSSHV?

Lastly, is your KGSSHV commercially built, or DIY? Is there a legit commercial vendor that builds KGSSHV? If it's DIY, who built it?

Oh my...I'd seriously recommend doing some reading on the Stax thread...it's all there. 
smile.gif

The HV is the High Voltage version of the KGSS. I've owned both and loved both. But the KGSSHV is the evolution of the KGSS with moar powa. 

There are no commercial builds of the KGSS or KGSSHV. Justin had a few KGSS's built way back when (that was the version of the KGSS that I owned previously), but no builder is offering them.

The KGSSHV is brilliant with both the SR-007MK1 and SR-009. Mine was built by a local friend who's built a few of them and he built his own T2. It's awesome having the builder about 25 minutes away (especially if he owns a T2 that you can listen to
wink.gif
). 

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #4,447 of 9,902

Oh my...I'd seriously recommend doing some reading on the Stax thread...it's all there. 
smile.gif

The HV is the High Voltage version of the KGSS. I've owned both and loved both. But the KGSSHV is the evolution of the KGSS with moar powa. 

There are no commercial builds of the KGSS or KGSSHV. Justin had a few KGSS's built way back when (that was the version of the KGSS that I owned previously), but no builder is offering them.

The KGSSHV is brilliant with both the SR-007MK1 and SR-009. Mine was built by a local friend who's built a few of them and he built his own T2. It's awesome having the builder about 25 minutes away (especially if he owns a T2 that you can listen to
wink.gif
). 

Lucky you! Actually, I'm quite new to this whole Stax gig. I've heard Stax headphones many times in several meets, but it wasn't until recently that I started actually owning them. With my BHSE on its way, I think I'm going to have a good time with my SR-007 mk1 and SR-009. The SR-009/SRM-007tII was somewhat disappointing, so I hope the BHSE does a much better job.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #4,448 of 9,902

wink.gif
).

Is that right? I had understood that this fellow had only ever built one other KGSSHV besides yours. But who knows what he might be doing with his spare time while his wife is watching "T'ill Debt do us Part" or "Breaking Amish". And yes, that proximity is pretty convenient.

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #4,450 of 9,902

Is that right? I had understood that this fellow had only ever built one other KGSSHV besides yours. But who knows what he might be doing with his spare time while his wife is watching "T'ill Debt do us Part" or "Breaking Amish". And yes, that proximity is pretty convenient.

That's what I meant by a few. 
smile.gif
 Mine and Chase's = "a few", maybe "a couple" would have been a better choice of words? And you did a fantastic job on both builds (IXYS and 1968SA)! I just like having the opportunity to hear your T2. 
tongue.gif

FTR, I watch Breaking Amish from time to time as well.

So great! Done deal then! No more thread drift. We can all now return to our regularly scheduled posts regarding the BHSE, ETAs and face plate colours...

Exactly...LOL.

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #4,451 of 9,902

Well, to help clarify things.  <snip>  However, and this is where it get's tricky, there are NO KNOWN PHOTOGRAPHS of them together.  <snip>

You are so wrong....you're not clarifying anything.

Whew . . . glad I was wrong about that space time thing . . . sorry if the sci-fi spoof was too over-the-top . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back