Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
May 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #3,346 of 9,902
Quote:
That sounds fun.  I'm going to find some kittens now.  To be ready.

You might check with Grokit to see if he would be willing to offer up his cable-chewing cat and dogs.

May 9, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #3,347 of 9,902
Cane toads from Queensland would be a more environmentally friendly option as well as being productive...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_toads_in_Australia

May 9, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #3,348 of 9,902
Guys hang in there!  The sound of the BHSE is just godsent.  I'm listening to mine right now and it works excellent with both SR009 & HE90.  Love mine.  I don't have the stock Mullard tubes but the Shuguang 50 years treasures sound great with my amp.

May 9, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #3,349 of 9,902
Another option to consider is the PSVANE EL34PH, which should begin shipping next week (May 15).

From their website:

The Reproducing Classic Power Amplifier EL34PH of the top vacuum tube brand PSVANE perfectly reproduces PHILIPS iron pedestal EL34of 50s.
As the one of the most beautiful sound in pentode amps, EL34 was introduces to the market at the very beginning by MULLARD (PHILIPS’ sub company) in 1953. In the history of tube-producing industry, EL34 was designed very well and given infinite dynamism and strength on its pressure-resistant performance. Just like we always think of Western Electric’s WE300B when refer to 300B, as to the top representative products of EL34, it undoubtedly is the iron pedestal EL34 of PHILIPS produced in 50s.
That product of PHILIPS has perfect Frequency response performance, proper sound density and wonderful music analytic ability. It definitely is the king of EL34!
PSVANE always takes classic amp-reproducing as its own task. We have already successfully reproduced Western Electric 300B, 275A, 212 and other good tubes in recent two years and won the high reputation in market. Now, PSVANE, as well as the research team in Europe, successfully developed the PSVANE EL34PH, which is completely reproduced from the iron pedestal EL34 from Dutch PHILIPS. The price of our products is only 15% but show you a full top HIFI sound effect as its model (A new pair PHILIPS iron pedestal EL34 which contains 4pcs sells 15,000 RMB in the market). Besides, PSVANE give EL34PH its unique music feeling which is absolutely worth your listening.

May 9, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #3,350 of 9,902
I've seen a price of $395 on ebay for a match quad. That's about a $100 more than the Treasures or fat bottle Psvanes. 

One plus point with these new ones is that they don't appear to have the powder coating, so more chance of seeing that warm tube glow.

May 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #3,351 of 9,902
These are a new part in their "Replica" series, where they are attempting to reproduce some of the better regarded tubes from years gone by.  This will give a NIB option as the NOS items become scarcer, and even more expensive.  These are not meant to compete with their Treasure or TII series where they are trying to improve on good tubes with new technology, like the tube coating, and improved bases.

The EL34s look great, but I will wait for reviews.  I currently run a quad of Treasure 6CA7 (in my speaker amp), and have a just worn in quad of Sed Winged C EL34 to go with first. I will probably try a quad of TII though, either in my current speaker amp, and or in the BHSE, which is in production (December 2012 order frame for me).

May 10, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #3,353 of 9,902
Quote:
Justin, once you receive good stuff (Aluminum), do you only have to screw the front panel to the amps and test them for about a week before shipping them, or am I missing something? Also: how many at the time will you be testing? Thanks again.

Excellent question again! Will it be answered?

About outsourcing: the main problem is that no one is responsible for whatever happens!

May 10, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #3,355 of 9,902
Quote:
These are a new part in their "Replica" series, where they are attempting to reproduce some of the better regarded tubes from years gone by.  This will give a NIB option as the NOS items become scarcer, and even more expensive.  These are not meant to compete with their Treasure or TII series where they are trying to improve on good tubes with new technology, like the tube coating, and improved bases.

The EL34s look great, but I will wait for reviews.  I currently run a quad of Treasure 6CA7 (in my speaker amp), and have a just worn in quad of Sed Winged C EL34 to go with first. I will probably try a quad of TII though, either in my current speaker amp, and or in the BHSE, which is in production (December 2012 order frame for me).

Thank you Bones13 for keeping us aware of the results of your tube tests.

May 14, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #3,360 of 9,902
Quote:
Another option to consider is the PSVANE EL34PH, which should begin shipping next week (May 15).

I'm very interested in these too! Was thinking of picking a quad up for my Electra and forthcoming BHSE.

Apparently Psvane has a 6CA7 option as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back