Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jul 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #2,161 of 9,902
mine came with a tool... yall sure that in your excitement and haste, you didn't overlook the small adjustment tool, and perhaps accidentally discard it? 

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #2,163 of 9,902
Quote:
Bah, safety is overrated. Live on the edge!

Yeah. Ain't no fun unless there's a chance of bloodshed.
biggrin.gif

se

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #2,164 of 9,902
Quote:

it is also a strong recommendation for going with solid state products!  how about building the kgss hv commercially?

wrong thread dude

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #2,165 of 9,902
I didn't get the adjustment tool and instructions how to place the tubes for my Aristaeus amplifier.
I was very careful when I opened the box.
I have also emailed to Justin specifically  asking about the instructions how to use his amplifier before I received
the amplifier  but never  get any answer back.  It doesn't make any sense to me why Justin had to do all the
measurement of all the tubes for me but did not inform me how to use that properly, at least the way that he thought
they should be.

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #2,166 of 9,902

Although I've only had my BHSE for a week, I thought I'd post my basic impression of it driving my SR-009's with my source being the K-01. The photo above is where I do my listening and I feel the chair has to be positioned so close in order to allow me to control the volume at anytime, this is a must because different songs have to be played at different volumes. About my thoughts, I'm not very good at describing sound but this combo seems to produce a clear crisp impact to the instruments being played, especially percussions and acoustics, the vocals are quite realistic and the bass is there but not over powering. As long as I can control the volume, this combo is going to give me many pleasurable hours of listening.

Sorry for not being very good at describing.

Dave.

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #2,167 of 9,902
Quote:
I didn't see a biasing tool or instructions in my BHSE box.  How do I bias it if I want to try out other tubes?

I just updated the BHSE product page on Head-Fi for an easier-to-find spot: http://www.head-fi.org/products/headamp-blue-hawaii-se-electrostatic-amp

Quote:
Unfortunately that sound like greek to me. I saw the instructions on page 95 and still wasnt entirely sure... yes, E&E subject has always been a problem for me.

Is there detailed instructions anywhere or better yet a YouTube video? One other question is that each matched pair of EL34 should be fitted left-front and left-back or left-front and right front? Haven't been able to get a response out of Headamp so any help will be much appreciated.

No offense but I'm not sure I'd recommend trying out tube-rolling if you don't know how to follow the directions I posted, because as spritzer mentioned there's high voltage levels in the amp. The BHSE comes properly biased for the stock EL34s so you don't need to worry about adjusting for them.

Jul 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #2,168 of 9,902
No offense but I'm not sure I'd recommend trying out tube-rolling if you don't know how to follow the directions I posted,
because as spritzer mentioned there's high voltage levels in the amp. The BHSE comes properly biased for the stock EL34s
so you don't need to worry about adjusting for them.
     The problem is that the information about the bias tool and the sequence of the tubes to be placed in specific order in my
Aristaeus amplifier (sorry , may be wrong topic but I think it is similar situation here) was informed by another head-fier friend.
I had no idea beforehand that it had to be that way and I had emailed Justin asking about the proper use . I did not get any answer back so normal
people would think there was no big deal about the tube position.  I initially  thought that there was no need for specific position
of the tubes in my case until I looked at the tube boxes and I saw the small  number written on the box.... that does not make sense to me

Jul 18, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #2,169 of 9,902
Quote:

I just updated the BHSE product page on Head-Fi for an easier-to-find spot: http://www.head-fi.org/products/headamp-blue-hawaii-se-electrostatic-amp

Asr, Thank you for capturing this information on the product page!  I wish more on Head-Fi would take advantage of this feature, rather than only posting to a thread to share useful information with the rest of the community.  Your effort is appreciated.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #2,170 of 9,902
Quote:

Excellent, thank you for updating the product page with the diagram and step-by-step instructions.

I'm a bit disappointed my amp did not include the tool or instructions that previous amps were supplied with.  I hope Headamp will mail out biasing tools to owners who did not receive the tool.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #2,171 of 9,902
Quote:

Excellent, thank you for updating the product page with the diagram and step-by-step instructions.

I'm a bit disappointed my amp did not include the tool or instructions that previous amps were supplied with.  I hope Headamp will mail out biasing tools to owners who did not receive the tool.

I forgot to include the tool in the last shipment of 8 amps; i will be sending it out to all of those owners in an envelope.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jul 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #2,173 of 9,902
t1175 and David1961: I have a request for you since we are going to have exactly the same setup (except maybe cables but let's not get into that).

Please use the different Digital Filter modes in your Esoteric K-01 and let me know after one week which mode you like best with the BHSE and SR009:

FIR1, FIR2, SLY1, SLY2, OFF

I don't use up-sampling at all, as I think playing straight gives the most natural sound - but I am curious to know your thoughts on the various digital filters. Please let me know - I know which mode I like most with my speaker system, but I won't tell you yet since that may create bias. I will also let you have my thoughts when I get my BHSE.

By the way, I am using the Antelope Trinity word clock for the Esoteric K-01 and it does produce a difference in my speaker rig, mainly an improvement in the focus of vocal image and instrument placement, which I could not believe to happen to a single-box device before auditioning. The impact of the clock is much more prominent in my current speaker system (Dynaudio Confidence C4) which is much larger in scale than my previous one (Monitor Audio RX8), which I used in a small room.  I will let you know whether the clock has any impact on the BHSE-009 combo when my BHSE arrives, but I suspect the effect (if any) on headphone setup would be minimal.

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #2,174 of 9,902
Even is one had a KGSSHV made commercially or a KGSS/LL then those same adjustments would have to be monitored from time to time.  The Stax SRM-717 and 727 both have a servo which monitors the output offset and cuts off the amp if it gets to high.  It doesn't do the adjusting for you though so many users have ended up with amps with no sound. 

For the record I recently did a full service on an old Headamp KGSS belonging to a friend and the offset and balance were spot on for both channels.  This particular amp has traveled the globe quite a bit and never been opened until I did so.  Long live fully regulated power supplies... 
redface.gif

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #2,175 of 9,902
Spritzer - I know you do it for fun and I have great respect for you so no pressure - but if you could some day perhaps modify my SRM-727II that would be great - any service / parts fees and all shipping fees on me, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back