Head-to-Head Comparison: S-Master (NW-X1060, NW-A847) vs. S-Master MX (NW-Z1070)
Dec 31, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #16 of 37

Quote:
Could you tell me what xLoud and clear phase function are?

How do you add lyrics to a song so you can see it while its playing?

1. Both deal with settings for the internal speakers.
2. There may be some other way, but you can add them via the Z itself if you really want. I don't plan on testing it, so you'll have to figure that one out.

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #17 of 37

Quote:
Meanwhile, I could really use someone out there, kindly, to explain how I can get ALAC off my Mac into the Z using an Android App.  Anyone??!!    

I don't believe the Z supports ALAC, just the lossless formats of ATRAC Lossless and WAV - just like the X or A:
http://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/NW-Z1000_series/spec.html

Here are the asterisks for both AAC formats:
  1. *2   著作権保護されたAACファイルは再生できません。本体で再生可能なAACファイル形式フォーマット:AAC- LC、ビットレート:16-320kbps(VBR)(サンプリング周波数によっては規格外および保証外の数値も含みます)、サンプリング周波 数:8/11.025/12/16/22.05/24/32/44.1/48kHz
  2. *3   本体で再生可能なHE-AACファイル形式フォーマット:HE-AAC、ビットレー ト:32-144kbps(VBR)(サンプリング周波数によっては規格外および保証外の数値も含みます)、サンプリング周波数:8/11.025/12 /16/22.05/24/32/44.1/48kHz

I can tell you drag and drop worked just fine with ATRAC files, so it's still intact from the post-Sonic Stage non-Android OS. Although I still use the Japanese x-App to encode into ATRAC and then transfer to the Z more often than not. I just installed the newest version 3.0.02.

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #18 of 37
Thanks, noted.  What would you suggest I use for encoding ATRAC Lossless for use with the Z?  

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #19 of 37

Quote:
Thanks, noted.  What would you suggest I use for encoding ATRAC Lossless for use with the Z?  

The only thing that does it is x-App as far as I know. ATRAC also gives you gapless, too. I encode at ATRAC 352k and it's good enough for portable use. I think x-App is PC only, so if you have a Mac you'll need something like Parallels.

Here's the Z's support page in Japanese:
http://www.sony.jp/support/walkman/products/nw-z1000s.html
which has a lot of links, including one to x-App.

Here's the direct download link which always has the latest version:
http://www.sony.jp/support/pa_common/x-appli/download/

Here's how to install x-App on English OSes:
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/yn2007/e/8902ea082627eca5f5c8848869ede529

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #20 of 37
Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked is because I got used to the X's NC IEMs, the sound is good for my ears and since the Z has NC build in as well, I thought that if they'll work with the new Z, I can use these and keep the other IEM's as a "backup" in case these break. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #21 of 37

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked is because I got used to the X's NC IEMs, the sound is good for my ears and since the Z has NC build in as well, I thought that if they'll work with the new Z, I can use these and keep the other IEM's as a "backup" in case these break. 

The NC app works with the NW-NC33 and the MDR-NWNC200, so if the supplied IEM with the X is the NW-NC33 you're all set.

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #22 of 37
Very grateful for this - thank you.  I'm glad you said you find ATRAC 352kbs more than acceptable - so did I on my old HD-5 (via Sonic Stage).  Using WMP I've found WMA VBR (set to highest quality) is also pretty good, sometimes encoding in excess 350kbs depending on the complexity of the material.

Back to Android, I may have picked this up wrong from elsewhere, but I got the impression that, for instance, Poweramp for Android would playback any FLAC, ALAC, AAC etc files on any Android device.  If that were the case, the possibilities with the Sony Z are fairly interesting I would say.

Happy New Year to you.

Simon 

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #23 of 37

Quote:
Very grateful for this - thank you.  I'm glad you said you find ATRAC 352kbs more than acceptable - so did I on my old HD-5 (via Sonic Stage).  Using WMP I've found WMA VBR (set to highest quality) is also pretty good, sometimes encoding in excess 350kbs depending on the complexity of the material.

Back to Android, I may have picked this up wrong from elsewhere, but I got the impression that, for instance, Poweramp for Android would playback any FLAC, ALAC, AAC etc files on any Android device.  If that were the case, the possibilities with the Sony Z are fairly interesting I would say.

Happy New Year to you.

Simon 

I never tried 352 on the HD-5, just 256. ATRAC (or really, ATRAC3+ which is what it is now) sounds good. All of the old ATRAC comparisons were with older versions. I've stuck with ATRAC because for portability it has good SQ and it has gapless for the Sony players.

In theory you could put another audio application on the Z such as Poweramp since it's Android, but it's not something I am going to do or try.

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #25 of 37

Quote:
You have to realize that Sony in Japan is a different beast than the rest of the world. In Japan, they make tons of dockable products with a WM-Port and lots of third party manufacturers do as well. In Yodobashi, they have a whole section dedicated to Walkman products including docks/speakers (including a Hello Kitty one I saw). It's the rest of the world that gets the shaft if you still support the Walkman line (whether or not you get a Japanese model). Heck, Sony still supports ATRAC in Japan. It's one main reason I get the Japanese players.

I do own the 7550s (nee MDR-EX800ST). I got them for $250ish before they raised the price from I think Sam Ash here in the USA. I've had a lot of IEMs over the years and they are near or at the top. Of course, that is subjective. Since I'm a musician, the fact they are "monitor" IEMs don't scare me. 

Yes, do realize that Japan is the heart land for Sony and they have a loyal cultural following hence why they out strip Apple like 8-1 for sales still over there, just like Apple do to Sony now in the US and Europe hence why we get shafted by Sony on certain stuff as it is all about market share and costs, be fair in general Sony have supported their products last few years just once in a blue moon they seem to shaft supporting one model properly for some unknown reason. But now you mention they do a Hello Kitty version......

If I still was on generic iem's and did not have my JH16's I would be interested to try the 7550s as I guess been a with them been classed as monitor reference by Sony they are quite balanced sounding.  

Quote:
Hi FenderP,

I entirely agree with your assessment.  The new Z is a significant step forward from X, and certainly the A84X and A86X that came in between.  The Z drives my DT 1350s with no difficulty at all - fabulous; typical smooth, fulsome Sony sound, but with all the detail and clarity.

For those in the UK waiting for this thing eventually to arrive through official channels I would only caution that Brussels will no doubt take its toll by imposing the dreaded volume restriction.  To avoid this, I ordered mine via White Rabbit Express who I found to be honest, reliable and efficient.  All up, it wasn't much more than an iPod Touch 64GB from Amazon.co.uk, so go for it if you want the SQ and, for now, something different.    

With thanks and all the best for '12.

Simon

First paragraph welcomed to hear from a happy X owner. Is the built in amp actually any more powerful than the X's S Master amp from 2009?

Stuck in two minds really as by what I can see it is quite a bit more on White Rabbit for the 64gb (Approx £365 currently) a bit more than the 64 ipod touch (£260) on Amazon.co.uk. Just blown x-mas funds on a pair of Sony Z1000's otherwise I might of bitten on the Japanese model now regardless : (

I am not to bothered by Atrac any more with the Japanese model (last time I had it was on the HD-5!) as  I use WAV only now, it is just the EU volume cap that could be a problem with the UK version when it arrives like you mentioned but i think Sony realized their mistake with the A84x models which people sent back in their spades due to the overkill on the capping and the following A86X apparently was a lot more acceptable (reports not far of what the X volume was) so can only hope Sony keep the thresh hold at an acceptable level as possible again.  If not I will be in for the Japanese version and bite the bullet and start saving now for the extra handling fees on it!

I take it there is still no on the go-play list function like there used to be on the old HD Walkmans?

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #26 of 37

Quote:
so is the web browser on this one quite fast and no lagging?

Would you say this walkman can definately be considered somewhat a multimedia device like the ipod touch?

I only used it a little bit to browse at home and then again I tried at the airport last night. I don't use Chrome, so I put Firefox on there. Seemed fast enough, but obviously your WiFi signal strength has a big factor on things. To be honest as someone who does not own a smartphone nor do I want one, I found trying to browse and type on such a small screen annoying. I don't know why anyone would use a device such as this for the 'net.

The Z like many of its previous Walkman predecessors plays videos and music. By that definition, the Walkmans have been multimedia devices for years. Since the OS is Android and you can install whatever apps you want, this one is arguably the most flexible. So if THAT is your definition of a multimedia device, then I guess the answer is yes.

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #27 of 37
Do you know why poweramp is quite popular among music listeners? Is it because of its 10 adjustable eq bands?

Is the UI of the z series quite smooth? ie. very little lagging time when you enter/exit an app and change songs?

Does the Z series have better battery life compared with the A840 and X series?

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #28 of 37

Quote:
Yes, do realize that Japan is the heart land for Sony and they have a loyal cultural following hence why they out strip Apple like 8-1 for sales still over there, just like Apple do to Sony now in the US and Europe hence why we get shafted by Sony on certain stuff as it is all about market share and costs, be fair in general Sony have supported their products last few years just once in a blue moon they seem to shaft supporting one model properly for some unknown reason. But now you mention they do a Hello Kitty version......

Actually, as popular as Sony's devices are over there and the support they get, I saw much more Apple in actual usage. That said, there's still a big market for Sony. I mean, some of the Z accessories such as the leather case were sold out the day after its release. Someone's buying all of that stuff.

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #29 of 37

Quote:

Happy New Year to you.

Simon 

I've got power amp running on this baby, and believe me its well worth the 5 bucks. It plays all file major file formats, has cross feed, replay gain, a 7 band EQ with pre-amp, supports gapless and a whole bunch of other goodies. Highly recommended. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #30 of 37

Quote:
Is the UI of the z series quite smooth? ie. very little lagging time when you enter/exit an app and change songs?

Does the Z series have better battery life compared with the A840 and X series?

The UI is fine. Sony's apps work as expected. The annoying UI bits seem to be inherent to Android. In that way, I prefer the UI of the X and A. Example: changing volume. If the screen times out, the device seems to lock. To change volume, even with the hardware rocker, you need to swipe back in. On the A/X, even with the screen going black you could change volume. Like I said, this seems to be an Android thing.

Haven't benchmarked battery life, but if you go by Sony's specs, it's slightly worse. That makes sense considering it has a much bigger screen. If you run WiFi on all the time with full screen brightness of course you're going to have worse battery life than if you adjust differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back