Head-to-Head Comparison: S-Master (NW-X1060, NW-A847) vs. S-Master MX (NW-Z1070)
Jan 2, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #31 of 37

The volume thingy would be a pain in the.... for me at least because I mostly listen to music outdoors with the device in my pocket and I am used to adjust the sound volume while device is there. I have the Xperia Arc as well (which has Android gingerbread too) paired with PowerAmp and I have no trouble adjusting the volume with the hardware rocker after the screen goes off. Maybe it's Sony's UI implementation over Android? I hope that's just a bug that'll get fixed soon..

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The UI is fine. Sony's apps work as expected. The annoying UI bits seem to be inherent to Android. In that way, I prefer the UI of the X and A. Example: changing volume. If the screen times out, the device seems to lock. To change volume, even with the hardware rocker, you need to swipe back in. On the A/X, even with the screen going black you could change volume. Like I said, this seems to be an Android thing.

Haven't benchmarked battery life, but if you go by Sony's specs, it's slightly worse. That makes sense considering it has a much bigger screen. If you run WiFi on all the time with full screen brightness of course you're going to have worse battery life than if you adjust differently.

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #32 of 37

Quote:

The volume thingy would be a pain in the.... for me at least because I mostly listen to music outdoors with the device in my pocket and I am used to adjust the sound volume while device is there. I have the Xperia Arc as well (which has Android gingerbread too) paired with PowerAmp and I have no trouble adjusting the volume with the hardware rocker after the screen goes off. Maybe it's Sony's UI implementation over Android? I hope that's just a bug that'll get fixed soon..

I solved it by installing the No Lock app. It's just a quirk and maybe it's Sony's issue with their Walkman apps. Don't know.

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #33 of 37
With this Z player being Android, I wonder how Rockbox could work with it, since it's possible to use on the Android based D3. If I understand correctly so far, Rockbox isn't totally stable yet with Android though. Still, with the reports on SQ, and the wide range of possibilities, this player seems very very interesting. I'm sure I'll be ordering one via Whiterabbitexpress in the next month or two. Gots me a bonus coming from woyk.....  
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #35 of 37

Quote:
Can music be deleted from the player directly? If so, is it a relatively pain free process?

It depends. The main Sony app (similar to the one that is on the non-Android Walkmans) doesn't allow you to directly. Since it's Android, you could ostensibly use some sort of file viewer/explorer type of app and delete the music files then rebuild the database (an option in the music app).

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #36 of 37

Quote:
Can music be deleted from the player directly? If so, is it a relatively pain free process?

Just install any one of the gazillion file manager apps from the Android Market - Like Astro File Manager or ES File Manager. Both are good - and free 
smile.gif

Can anybody say how this player interacts with low-impedance IEMs? Has Sony published the output impedance anywhere?

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #37 of 37
Replying to my own post here - 

Loaded PowerAmp onto the Z1070, hooked up to iTunes (on Mac), dragged and dropped a whole load of ALAC files.  Works brilliantly - this is the perfect non-Apple DAP solution and sounds just as good as my WM-D6C!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back