Head Room Easter Eggs...
Mar 13, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 26
So what are shipping costs to Coruscant?

Mar 13, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Should be no more than 30 galactic credits. Now, if you will excuse me while I go wheeze, wrap tape around my glasses, covet Newegg's video card selection, and browse the myspace pages of girls that I'll only tutor and never sleep with.

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, i noticed that a while ago. Grado really does seem to try and keep their cans a secret, or at least make it impossible for poor 'ol Europe to get their mitts on 'em.

They are very (or overly if you'd like) concerned with protecting their dealers. It's tough for dealers in Europe when they have to compete with American dealers who will ship and sell for far less then the European dealers are allowed to. Grado keeps a close eye on what prices their gear are being sold at and where they are being shipped. This is also why you rarely see much variation in the price of Grado headphones across the internet. On the otherhand, Sennheiser had some problems themselves a little while back for being too lax. With the HD650's, three months after they were first released there were e-tailers selling them for $320 when they were supposed to be going for around $500. Sennheiser eventually starting reining in some of the prices so that it was a while before I saw the HD650's hit that low. While we certainly enjoy the +$100 savings, it severely undercuts a large number of dealers who are unable to sell the large volume to make such low prices feasible.

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 26
Grado in particular are having a laugh in the UK. ~$1400 RRP for the RS-1. A total rip-off, and they try & enforce it by insiting their overseas (particularly USA) dealers don't sell to markets abroad. Very naive business practice in this modern era of international markets & cheap logistics.

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Even better, do they ship to Tatooine?

It's so hard to find good cans on the rim...

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado in particular are having a laugh in the UK. ~$1400 RRP for the RS-1. A total rip-off, and they try & enforce it by insiting their overseas (particularly USA) dealers don't sell to markets abroad. Very naive business practice in this modern era of international markets & cheap logistics.

Grado is a **tiny** family operated company that has the audacity to continue to operate and manufacture in New York City. Where, last time I looked, a 1 BR apt will set you back a minimum of $2000/mo. (In case you have the gall to argue with me, understand that I am the last middle class person voluntarily living on the island of Manhattan. After 22 years. For now.)

Do they ship their production overseas? No.

Do they indulge in Bose level B**sh** gimmickry? No.

Do they try to maintain control over their products, their image, and their pricing? Heeeeeelllll yeah.

You can, in your rank ignorance, crap on this company all you want. Go ahead, stand in front of the fan and throw your own waste. Guess where it ends up.

And as for HeadRoom? Go to their site all the time. Buy from them? I don't think so. The supposedly unbiased "reviews" of the Grado products they sell seem to fluctuate based on the condition of their business relationship with Grado.

The reviews of the SR60s and the SR125s have varied from raves to "meh," depending, again, on some or other beef they seem to be having/not having with Grado.

Grado or HeadRoom...hmmm, let's see....let me think about it. OK, I thought about it: GRADO.

Oh and their support for Etymotic, another SMALL business? Well, can you buy ETYs from HeadRoom? Could that be because the larger companies now offer competing products and are in the position to offer them a better deal?

NNNNAAAAAAHHHHHH...couldn't be.

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 26
Heh, I've never really noticed that before. I just thought it listed a bunch of countries.

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh and their support for Etymotic, another SMALL business? Well, can you buy ETYs from HeadRoom? Could that be because the larger companies now offer competing products and are in the position to offer them a better deal?

NNNNAAAAAAHHHHHH...couldn't be.

actually, i'm pretty sure that's because of Etymotic's failure to stock HeadRoom. IIRC Etymotic is going to a partially direct-from-factory distribution system... while i agree with the rest of your post, i just wanted to point that out. IIRC there's information on it in the HeadRoom Clearance thread.

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #15 of 26
very funny. does tyll write these?

small dealers are grado's bread and butter. if grado distributes to resellers who undercut, there goes the authorized dealer's sale, when would make the dealer think twice about selling grados in the future.

it appears this is what happened to etymotics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back