Head Gear rankings?
Jan 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 16
Perhaps it would help if you could explain more precisely what you mean by “calculating the rankings process”!  Frankly, that kind of language doesn't make much sense with regard to “head gear” I am afraid. Seriously, what the hell are you talking about?
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 16

Quote:
Perhaps it would help if you could explain more precisely what you mean by “calculating the rankings process”!  Frankly, that kind of language doesn't make much sense with regard to “head gear” I am afraid. Seriously, what the hell are you talking about?
confused_face%281%29.gif

If you look in the Head Gear section, you'll see each component is assigned a ranking on the right hand side.
How are those rankings determined?  Does that the hell clear it up for you? 
devil_face.gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 16
You mean the star rating?  Thats the average of user ratings, nothing more

Quote:
If you look in the Head Gear section, you'll see each component is assigned a ranking on the right hand side.
devil_face.gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 16
Good question. I've always wondered that myself.

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
devil_face.gif

I still don't see why you should care much about that -- I am really not of fan of “ranking” in general, which seems to me the lazy way of approaching things, except in the case of... numbers, precisely! Otherwise, it seems to me that most of the time those ranking systems prevent you from hearing-watching-reading-thinking for yourself. It is true however that, to draw on my humble life, I became curious about, for instance, Stax because certain people (not everybody or most people) were saying that they were the best headphones for classical music, or that I spent time listening to and discovering Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Webern, Ligeti, to name a few of my favorite composers, because some other people told me about them (same for books, films, paintings, etc.), but this is certainly quite different from ranking things on a scale from 1 to 10, which again seems to me at the very least ludicrous. But of course, if you need those rankings for orienting yourself -- and you would certainly not, unfortunately, be the only one! -- let's be it and good luck with everything! That is roughly what I had in mind when I wrote “what the hell are you talking about?,” not that there were no ranking for “head gear,” since I am fully aware that we tend to rank everything these days and therefore I am not surprised at all that there is such a ranking system for that, whatever it means; nevertheless, life is just more complicated, nuanced and refined than anything you will find in those stupid ranking systems...
popcorn.gif

That being said, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that single malt scotches are always better than blended ones -- and please, no it doesn't mean that I have anything against diversity! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
confused_face(1).gif

Huh!? His question makes perfect sense.  Nowhere in his post does he say "calculating the rankings process".  He clearly asks how the rankings are calculated (makes sense to me).
And then he asks if there is a process used to obtain the different rankings.  And I concur with 'Draygon' - "good question", I've also wondered that myself.

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Huh!? His question makes perfect sense.  Nowhere in his post does he say "calculating the rankings process".  He clearly asks how the rankings are calculated (makes sense to me).
And then he asks if there is a process used to obtain the different rankings.  And I concur with 'Draygon' - "good question", I've also wondered that myself.

You are right indeed, he wrote, “How are the Head Gear rankings calculated? Is there a page somewhere that explains the rankings process?” Does it make any substantial difference? Allow my to doubt it. If this question makes sense for you, as it surely will for many others, that is fine. Keep looking for the answer and then when you find it, ask yourself again that question: what the hell does it mean? You won't have made much progress I suspect, except that perhaps with some luck you will finally realize that you ought to learn to find your way in this world by other means, such as your own ears and judgment, for instance. At any rate, please keep me posted!
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 16
I have been looking for the same answers but haven't found any. Would be nice to know because looking at some of the rankings, they don't make much sense?

darthsmile.gif

Quote:

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #11 of 16
I'm not interested in learning about the rankings to actually use them in my purchasing process.  They just don't make any sense.  They aren't ranked by star-rating, cost, or ownership. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 16
Well, so far I've heard nothing from my feedback request, nothing from a PM to Jude and no definitive posts here in this thread ... so I guess at this time the Head Gear ranking process is to remain a mystery ... 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back