Head-Fit: Software Crossfeed and EQ
Dec 18, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #256 of 318
heres a dumb question for you guys... I copied the head-fit.dll to the components folder and i cannot select it in foobar2k... I was able to load George Yohng's VST Wrapper... What am I missing?

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #257 of 318
It might seem a little complicated, when the VST wrapper loads properly you should get an additional icon in your tray. You have to right click it and choose the VST effect/plugin you want to use. In case you don't have any plugins listed in the Use VST Effect submenu, click the VST Setup option and point to the folder where you put the head-fit.dll file, rescan. Now go to Use VST Effect, make it active, and use Show/Hide  Plugin Editor to configure it.

If you want your VST plugins to be visible in the DSP list and feel a little more integrated with foobar, you might want to try this VST wrapper. Still in beta stage, but it's been working fine for me the past couple of weeks.

Dec 18, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #258 of 318

Quote:
It might seem a little complicated, when the VST wrapper loads properly you should get an additional icon in your tray. You have to right click it and choose the VST effect/plugin you want to use. In case you don't have any plugins listed in the Use VST Effect submenu, click the VST Setup option and point to the folder where you put the head-fit.dll file, rescan. Now go to Use VST Effect, make it active, and use Show/Hide  Plugin Editor to configure it.

If you want your VST plugins to be visible in the DSP list and feel a little more integrated with foobar, you might want to try this VST wrapper. Still in beta stage, but it's been working fine for me the past couple of weeks.

Thanks, now that you mentioned it I do see it in the tray...

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #259 of 318
I get a glitchy head-fit when using Foobar v1.1.1 and George Yohng's VST Wrapper v1.2. Same result with VST 2.4 adapter 0.9.0.3. Using Windows XP. Using the version of head-fit lite linked here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/475007/head-fit-software-crossfeed-and-eq/30#post_6556125

It looks like

When setting it active and playing a track the computer freezes or slows gradually to the point where clicking the stop button or the action of stopping itself via hotkey takes upwards of 30 seconds. Another detail to note is the full version of head-fit (not lite) zip comes up with an "unexpected end of archive" as if there are some missing components or the package is incomplete. It's really a hopeless situation and I'm desperate for help from you master/experienced users of head-fit and the crossfeed regime..

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #260 of 318
after all this time I just want to chime in and say that I still use the barebones Headlite and use all the stock settings. After all the experimentation I really ended up liking the stock settings best :)

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #261 of 318
Does it exist ANY app with that you can monitor the signal that is going to the headphone jack (ie. after all processing is applied to it from your DAC) while playing music and would show the frequency response while music is playing in a similar way this one does except this head-fit doesn't take any stand as far as external EQing etc is concerned, just the music file itself and the built-in EQ in this plugin. I would love to have that.

May 12, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #262 of 318

This sounds very good to me! I wonder how it sounds to different people with different headphones. For some reason, this is the first setting that I have ever come up with that happens to sound best with whatever music I throw at it. I've only tuned it with a px100-II so far though but am waiting for some other cans to arrive so that I can double check if they are universally good.

May 15, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #263 of 318
Just trying these settings now and so far so good, sound stage and imaging I think are just that bit more focused compared to the settings donunus posted on page 16  #228.

Before I stumbled across head-fit I'd tried a number of cross-feed plug-ins which either coloured the sound by creating a muddled or boxy effect or just weren't that effective in general. For me head-fit has become that subtle something I use all the time with my headphones for both movies and music (gotta love J river media center). I quite like the fact that I can turn the cross-feed setting on or off and there's no overall change to the sound at least not in the way any casual listener would notice. Although if I'm listening to a well recorded track I can hear and imagine where every instrument is placed and I like to listen for the 'space' that sits between the notes in the mix. Then if I turn the cross-feed setting off it's like the instruments, notes and the music itself looses that final bit of focus and clarity to the stereo image along with that extra dimension of realism and air.

May 15, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #264 of 318
I agree ^^^ Headfit is great! As for the settings I put up before, I wen't nuts and just tried to go all over the place but going back to stock ended up being better in the long run all the time except for a slight veil that caused a slight discontinuity from the mids to highs. The setting I put above is just the stock setting of headlite with 2db up the ILD HF section to give it some fill for that coherence to come back. I tried -12db which was closer in tonality to the unprocessed signal but I went down to -14db to get an allround good feel for the xfeed combined with the slight fill to correct the tonality.

May 15, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #265 of 318
By the way, all the other settings i leave untouched. Did you know that delay settings have three steps in one value and that if its on the right, the center or the leftmost part where it still reads .32ms for example gives you three different actual values. I know this because the three steps change in sound from one step to the other. My setting above is done by resseting the plugin to stock before changing the ILD HF to make those ITD LF MS and ITD HF MS settings exactly stock.

May 17, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #266 of 318
For some different headphones i'm using now I turned down the -14 to -15db so synergy may also play a part in making this plugin sound good. Its a juggle between soundstage and tonality.

May 17, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #267 of 318
There's a clear and distinct difference between every value of ITD LF and HF, although I can't say that I've noticed any difference between the three steps at any given value of ITD LF. There are even more steps for every value of ITD HF, still no audible difference, but it might be just me. My current settings: -8.7 ILD LF / -14.4 ILD HF / .32ms ITD LF / .25ms ITD HF / F central at 1771, lowered volume by 7dB. I find that these settings color the sound the least, and -- depending on the recording -- tend to enlarge the soundstage a significant deal.

May 17, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #268 of 318
I either had better headphones back then or It could have been placebo but these el cheapo akg k44s I have on my head right now isn't really showing me the difference in those little steps in the ms section within the same value. As for your settings, try changing .32ms to .29 and see what you think. I was also inspired by your settings and decided to ruin my contentment with my setting and play around a little more LOL

try this one... Its pretty uncolored already as far as these cheap cans of mine can tell. I really ended up not liking .25 on the HF ms because I felt it made some gaps from left to right due to its width.

May 19, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #269 of 318
fufula,
As i listen longer, I feel there is really some form of genius in your -8.7, -14.4 setting. Me Likey! Only the width is different on mine. Well the F Central too I guess. I like the 1996 quite a bit. I feel it gets a little dark when going down too much. Here is my quick setting after resting from that tweaking session. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back