Head-fi's Recommended Digital Sources call for nominations
Apr 15, 2004 at 9:22 AM Post #61 of 142
no wadia love yet? what's up with that? i've never heard one, though i want to at least audition one some day.

Apr 15, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #63 of 142
Quote:

Originally posted by Demolition
How long will the nomination process continue for?D.

Well in order to try to accumulate many votes, even for same units, I would suggest it should continue for at least a couple of months, or maybe as long as nominations keep coming? We'll see how it goes.

Apr 15, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #64 of 142
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
no wadia love yet? what's up with that? i've never heard one, though i want to at least audition one some day.

It's about time I give some wadia love...I will nominate the 301 and 302 in the under $5000 class since I am a big fan of both of them. MSRP 301=$3950 (discontinued) MSRP 302 = $4450.

The other Wadia products are fantastic too but I don't know them well enough to nominate them.

Apr 19, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #65 of 142
BUMP!

C'mon guys...we all know the source is the most critical component in an audio system. Put in some more suggestions.

Here's one: what about the Pioneer Elite DV-47AI? It was last year's top of the line model. It can be had for much lower than its MSRP. I heard it but I don't think it's better than my DV-59AVi but I do think that the street prices make it a steal. It can be heavily modded too.

Another one: what about the Linn Unidisk 1.1 and 2.1? I just heard them today and I can't tell for certain that they're any better than the Bel Canto Design PLayer-1 but at this level of the universal player game, it's going to come down to personal preferences. It is not quite worth its asking price IMHO but it's giving BLD PL-1 a serious challenge.

Apr 20, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #66 of 142
Yes where are those nominations people? What source you've heard and compared to other similar sources, and made you truly love it, or truly got you impressed?

Welly Wu, how about the exact price ranges you are nominating those players into, and also, what their actual costs are/were?

For everyone, if you have a nomination, please feel free to post here about it instead of sending me a PM. It's very informative for everyone to be able to read details about the nomination from the actual person making the nomination, the actual person that heard the unit. Also, readers of the list interested in a specific recommendation could find out who in particular voted for that entry, so that they can send a PM or contact that specific person for further inquiries about that source.

Apr 20, 2004 at 12:30 PM Post #67 of 142
I vote for the Apple iPod (all models of iPod, but in particular the one's that come with a cradle) for home use.

Unbeatable ease of use, great interface, great sound, great encoding options, line-out on the cradle, great compatibility with computers, easy and fast transfers of music to and from the computer, easy access to your entire music library on one device.

I know CD/Vinyl/DVD and all that can sound better, but I can't get past the convenience / quality of the iPod. I don't think hard drive based players should be separated from other players. I use an iPod at home instead of my CD or DVD player because I prefer it. I don't have a need for a portable player and I would buy a full sized home only iPod if there was one.

EDIT: Ok, maybe I was too quick to post this. I guess it doesn't really fit here, but if I was looking for a source I would consider hard disk players as well. This doesn't quite fit within the scope of this thread, so I was going to delete it but's still worth thinking about for anyone having a browse. Maybe just ignore this post, so we don't go off topic but I thought I should leave it here anyway.

Apr 20, 2004 at 12:49 PM Post #68 of 142
In category best player under 4k$ I definetly vote for Audionet ART V2. It's a pity that no one knows about it here... www.audionet.de

EDIT: BTW I have it in silver, not in black
cool.gif

EDIT2: It's 3090 Euro MSRP. About 3900$.

Apr 20, 2004 at 1:06 PM Post #69 of 142
Best Redbook Playback For Under $250 (new, or used);

1) Marantz CD6000 OSE
2) Micromega Stage 2
3) NAD 521i
4) Cambridge Audio D500

These CD players are good enough to make you wonder "Why spend any more?" I havn't heard anything yet, regardless of price that really blows these CDP's out of the water.

Apr 20, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #70 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorg
In category best player under 4k$ I definetly vote for Audionet ART V2. It's a pity that no one knows about it here... www.audionet.de

EDIT: BTW I have it in silver, not in black
cool.gif

I would love to hear one of these players. I've read nothing but great reviews on them. However finding one to listen to is a very hard search!

Apr 20, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #71 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
I vote for the Apple iPod

EDIT: Ok, maybe I was too quick to post this. I guess it doesn't really fit here, but if I was looking for a source I would consider hard disk players as well. .

I think it does fit. It is a "digital source".

In fact I've read a number of accounts of Wilson Audio's demonstration of their 'Loudspeaker first philosophy' as opposed to the common 'source first'.
A competitor's 16k speaker was against a pair of 11k Wilson speakers. Krell CDP and amplification powered the competitor. The components connected to the Wilsons were hidden but apparently sounded superior. They were revealed to be an iPod connected with Radioshack cables to a 1k Parasound amp!

Apr 20, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #72 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I would love to hear one of these players. I've read nothing but great reviews on them. However finding one to kisten to is a very hard search!

Yeah, they usually have only one supplier in each country. It was a coincidence that I auditioned it against Cary 306/200 and Rega Jupiter. My friend works in the company that supplies them.

The only problem is their transport - great quality but easy broken. When I'm using it alone everything is OK. But when guests come it could brake.

Thanks to my friend, repairs take not more than a day
icon10.gif

Apr 20, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #73 of 142
I searched this thread and I was surprised not to see even one mention on the Meridian 588 ( under 5K or 4K category ). IMHO it certainly deserves a honorable spot in his catagory.

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #74 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I think it does fit. It is a "digital source".
In fact I've read a number of accounts of Wilson Audio's demonstration of their 'Loudspeaker first philosophy' as opposed to the common 'source first'.
A competitor's 16k speaker was against a pair of 11k Wilson speakers. Krell CDP and amplification powered the competitor. The components connected to the Wilsons were hidden but apparently sounded superior. They were revealed to be an iPod connected with Radioshack cables to a 1k Parasound amp!

Well Eyeteeth, no wonder Wilson used that as a showcase, the comparison is precisely just indicating how good the Wilson speakers are, because they sounded better with a back end of amp and source that were not at the level of the Krell competitors.

The comparison is not very informative about the quality of the Ipod vs. the Krell CDP, for the very fact that the speakers were different, and the amps were different, and the cables were different, they were not just comparing the source, actually they were mostly comparing the speakers. Also, probably those speakers were in different rooms? Room acoustics+speakers have the largest effect in the magnitude of perceived differences in the sound. Then well there are opinions, probably the source or the amp, then cables, then power. How about the music they were playing? Depending on the music and quality of the recording, the source differences can be more/less exposed or harder/easier to detect.

Will add the Ipod. Mp3/portable players are all also digital sources after all. I think there could be a recommended list for those on their own, but well let's add them here if the submissions come then.

Apr 21, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #75 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Axel
I searched this thread and I was surprised not to see even one mention on the Meridian 588 ( under 5K or 4K category ). IMHO it certainly deserves a honorable spot in his catagory.

I assume this is for redbook CD. Meridian is one of the main supporters of the DVD-Audio format, but I'm not sure exactly what formats the 588 supports, and if your nomination goes exclusively for CD playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back