Head-Fiers in the Military
Oct 11, 2007 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

naamanf

500+ Head-Fier
I am currently deployed to Iraq and was wondering how many other military members might have this crazy addiction. And if so what do/did you drag on deployment with you? And if your a REMF you can also chime in
340smile.gif

I currently have with me: K701s, D5000s, UE Triple-Fi 10, Mini3, Xin Reference, Alien Dac, and a Scott Nixon USBDac.

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 21
Damn. That's quite the equipment list to have with you. I'm not Military yet, but about to enter the Navy as an officer. Well, about to enter training, anyway.

What are you using for a source?

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 21
Nice. Not sure yet.

I'm considering either Information Warfare, Public Relations, or Intelligence. If its one of the first two, I'll be shooting for getting a Master's degree through various Navy programs.

And most likely, it'll be career. Either through Navy, or other agencies in DC.

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 21
I'm not in the military, but I must admit I've always wondered how much hardware you would be allowed to haul around with you when deployed...

My dad was Navy in the late 60's and early 70's....and to hear him talk about all the goodies they had was pretty impressive...lot's of high end reel-to-reel equipment, turntable and headphones. They picked up a lot of stuff when in port in Japan and the Phillipines, etc.

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 21
every now and then we get a thread asking for headphone advice for a specifically military situation, usually deployment somewhere. It stands to reason, sometimes being in the military can put you in precisely the position with time to focus on your music and no chance to set up a full-size stereo.

Even so, you have to be a pretty dedicated audiophile to carry around as much kit as naamanf, hats off to you man. I don't bring that much when I move back and forth between Berlin and NYC, that's for sure.

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not in the military, but I must admit I've always wondered how much hardware you would be allowed to haul around with you when deployed...

My dad was Navy in the late 60's and early 70's....and to hear him talk about all the goodies they had was pretty impressive...lot's of high end reel-to-reel equipment, turntable and headphones. They picked up a lot of stuff when in port in Japan and the Phillipines, etc.

Not even just audio equipment, the things you could get that were standard issue, or at least available to enlisted men was amazing. (What do you call it? Like a company store, but military. I can't recall for the life of me right now.) Occasionally things come up on ebay, Leica's, headphones, etc.

Nowadays, I don't know, but there was a Limited Edition Military Zune.

Oct 11, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
every now and then we get a thread asking for headphone advice for a specifically military situation, usually deployment somewhere. It stands to reason, sometimes being in the military can put you in precisely the position with time to focus on your music and no chance to set up a full-size stereo.

Even so, you have to be a pretty dedicated audiophile to carry around as much kit as naamanf, hats off to you man. I don't bring that much when I move back and forth between Berlin and NYC, that's for sure.

15 months is a long time. It's one of the few ways I can just kick back and relax. If you can't relax it's going to make time go a lot slower. I actually plan on having my wife send more of my gear here. Mail only takes about a week so it isn't that bad. The only bad thing is I am used to having a very fast internet connection for downloadind FLACs.

Oct 11, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckypictures /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not even just audio equipment, the things you could get that were standard issue, or at least available to enlisted men was amazing. (What do you call it? Like a company store, but military. I can't recall for the life of me right now.) Occasionally things come up on ebay, Leica's, headphones, etc.

Nowadays, I don't know, but there was a Limited Edition Military Zune.

Seems like Microsoft like putting out Military Edition stuff. They have a ME Xbox 360. Seems to be the same price as a regular 360 though so no idea what makes it ME.

Oct 11, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 21
I'm no longer in the military (got out of the Navy 5 years ago) but on deployment I would just bring a set of Sony phones and a Creative player, dont remember the model of either. I kept all of my files I wanted to use on an HP laptop I brought on my last deployment when I was in, which I sold to someone on the ship when I left half way through.

Oct 11, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like Microsoft like putting out Military Edition stuff. They have a ME Xbox 360. Seems to be the same price as a regular 360 though so no idea what makes it ME.

Usually its just a paintjob and preloaded content. But it seems to boost resale value as well.

I remember the ME Zune's went for about $100 more than the regular ones on ebay, and were available for a discounted price from the original $249 pricetag.

Of course, with the new one, the price of Zunes is dropping.

Oct 11, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #12 of 21
Back in the day(early 90's), I made do with a pair of Koss Porta-Pro's, a Sony Walkman, and a lot of cassettes when I served in the Marine Corps. Ignorance was bliss regarding sound quality back then, at least for a future audiophile.

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #13 of 21
In Baghdad, just over a month to go Lord willing.

because Im lucky and not on a JSS or COP, Ive got a CHU with one roomate who works an opposite shift from me.

I started out with a portable set up, RSA SR-71 with a pair of HD 650's.
Then got an Aloia CDP with a pair of GS-1000s over a year ago for the B-day. Then I got some woo amps, then a x7esd sony cdp, and then, duh duh duh, a CARY CAD-300 SEI F1 edition Direct Coupled!!! HAHAHA! This is over the course of a year mind you.

The cary is awesome by the way.
Cant wait to try other 300b's and 6sn7s, and I may even scrounge for another source. Ive got some Master VD IC's coming as well. It be nice if they could make all of your favorite old cd's in this new K2 HD format. man, sounds like its a breakthrough.

Ill have to ship it back soon. Im out of the army when we get back but I may still ship it to where Im at just to listen to it while Im there outprocessing. Man. Audio Junkie.

Oh and just for the record, Im a "former" Marine who happened to try the army. Yes I wish I would have gone back in to the Corps, but Im sure there was a reason it happened this way.

Lord bless the guys over here and thier loved ones back home.
Keith

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Mail only takes about a week so it isn't that bad.

Sh1t,thats seriously quick considering it takes about the same from the UK to me in Ireland, go figure?

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

So we can blame the American military for Windows ME? Finally, we know the real culprits.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back