Head-fi Withdrawal
Nov 8, 2012 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

BackwardPawn

100+ Head-Fier
So the cord on my DT880s broke two days after I got my first tube amp and now I'm going through head-fi withdrawal.  Wouldn't be such a big deal, but the factory service shop is closed due to being located on the Long Island Sound (not that my headphone withdrawal compares to the nightmare that the people up there are going through).

But I was wondering what headphones would complement the DT880s and not break the bank.  Alternatively, I can hook up my old computer speakers, but I'd like try out my tube amp this month and see that its working alright, even if I end up selling one of the headphones once they both work.  I know most people on here have a headphone collection...but I just had my one set of Beyers.  I did find a local electronics shop willing to recable them, but I'd rather wait for the factory shop to do it, since they're only a year old and he asked me to bring the cable and a set of directions.

EDIT:  I do have video games so its not like, I'm staring off into space imagining that I'm listening to music.  At least not much anyway.

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 21
To prevent cable breakages, get headphones with detatchable cables. I know there's more brands but I know Shure has all their headphones have detatchable cables. New cable is $20 so just worry about breaking the headphone itself.

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 21
I'll look for detachable cables in the future.  I really do like the DT880s, though.  I wish I could afford T1s...maybe in a few years I'll be able to get a used pair for a good price.

I'm pretty sure its the cable because depending on what I plug it into, the drivers either sound equal, unbalanced, or no sound from the left at all.  When it does work, I don't have any distortion issues, I just have to turn the left channel way up--I suppose I could use it like that until the cord gets fixed, but I'm afraid its not good for the amp.  Especially if the cord detaches the rest of the way the amp runs with no load on that channel.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:
I'll look for detachable cables in the future.  I really do like the DT880s, though.  I wish I could afford T1s...maybe in a few years I'll be able to get a used pair for a good price.

I'm pretty sure its the cable because depending on what I plug it into, the drivers either sound equal, unbalanced, or no sound from the left at all.  When it does work, I don't have any distortion issues, I just have to turn the left channel way up--I suppose I could use it like that until the cord gets fixed, but I'm afraid its not good for the amp.  Especially if the cord detaches the rest of the way the amp runs with no load on that channel.

Heya,

I wouldn't buy another headphone just yet. If you just want another headphone that's different, but if you're looking to drop enough money to buy another mid-fi headphone just to play with your tube amp while you wait for your DT880 to be up and running, that money could have been better spent on the DT880 itself and/or cabling and/or more tubes and music which ultimately would be the better investment if you love the DT880 enough to have it for 10+ years as your only headphone (which is perfectly fine and actually recommended).

DT880's are world class. Keep them. I wouldn't even both sending them to have them fixed. I would have a professional recable them to a locking detachable cable. You get the length you want, plus an extension if you want, and your headphone now is essentially perfect (excellent sound, excellent durability and build, and the weakest link, the cable, brought up to excellent standards). I used Brian over at BTG Audio to do my cabling needs.

Here's what he did with my DT770. Locking detachable 4 foot midnight cable (braided and sheathed), terminates to 3.5mm, with a 3 foot extension cable with 3.5mm female and 3.5mm male terminations so that I can use it as a portable or on the desktop without excessive length on the cable, or I can add length to the cable if sitting further away from the source.

If you do however want a headphone to compliment the DT880, then I would imagine you should look at something less bright, warmer, and either closed back or simply with a different sound stage that is not similar in any way to the DT880 (or at least mostly not similar of course). A Denon D2000 for example would be a good compliment. Ultrasone PRO 2900 would be a good compliment. AudioTechnica A900X would be a good compliment. But again, unless you just want another $200~300 toy sitting on a shelf while you use something else, I would suggest you use your money to invest in your DT880 since it's pretty much one of the best headphones for the money and will last your lifetime if you take care of it.

Very best,

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 21
Thanks for the reply.  That may be the best route then, since I since I really like the DT880.  There's a local shop that told me they'd be willing to do that, but I'd need to bring them the cable I want them to use, plus detailed instructions.  While I appreciated the effort they were willing to go through, I'd rather use someone that knows the headphones.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 21
Hi Mal,

Brian actually cut off all orders for the month, but I got him to agree to get mine in under the wire.  I'm just trying to decide what I want done.  I use the headphones in two locations, at my desk and in bed.  Initially, I was thinking I'd have him recable the full 10ft cable, but then I got to thinking that the excess cable is probably how it got snagged in the first place.  I'm thinking I need about 5 feet of cable to comfortably reach my desk chair from my amp.

To reach my bed, though, I'll need about another 5 feet of cable.  Is the Midnight cable that much better than the typical headphone extension that its worth having him send me a five foot extension.  Also, did the locking mechanism change the sound of your headphones at all?  He has a disclaimer on his site that it might.  It would be nice to be able to order different sized cables in the future if I ever needed.  Thanks.

Jeff

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
Hi Mal,

Brian actually cut off all orders for the month, but I got him to agree to get mine in under the wire.  I'm just trying to decide what I want done.  I use the headphones in two locations, at my desk and in bed.  Initially, I was thinking I'd have him recable the full 10ft cable, but then I got to thinking that the excess cable is probably how it got snagged in the first place.  I'm thinking I need about 5 feet of cable to comfortably reach my desk chair from my amp.

To reach my bed, though, I'll need about another 5 feet of cable.  Is the Midnight cable that much better than the typical headphone extension that its worth having him send me a five foot extension.  Also, did the locking mechanism change the sound of your headphones at all?  He has a disclaimer on his site that it might.  It would be nice to be able to order different sized cables in the future if I ever needed.  Thanks.

Jeff

Heya,

I love the midnight cable, it doesn't grip anything (no rubber) and is very light weight. I didn't notice any change in sound from the locking mechanism or when using my extension. I definitely recommend a short cable with an extension over a single long cable. More versatility and less hassle.

Very best,

Nov 13, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 21
Brian is a good guy. I have used his service before with excellent results. He has recently joined forces with Q Audio, so I imagine that he's a pretty busy dude!!

Highly recommended...

gL!!

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 21
Thanks to both of you.  Everyone seems to highly recommend him.  I'll use a tape measure in the morning to figure out exactly how much I need at my desk and how much I need in the extension.  Eyeballing something that expensive is probably not the best idea.  Hopefully this fits in my new place when I've finally saved up enough for a condo, but I guess that's the good thing about detachable cables.

Nov 14, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #10 of 21
Mal, you've ruined me 
tongue_smile.gif
 I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get every pair of headphones I own recabled. Brian will get a call as soon as he's taking orders again 
smile.gif

Nov 14, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
Mal, you've ruined me 
tongue_smile.gif
 I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get every pair of headphones I own recabled. Brian will get a call as soon as he's taking orders again 
smile.gif

If it's a headphone you plan on keeping for a long time, it's worth every penny.

Sorry about your wallet. 
biggrin.gif

Very best, 

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 21
I'm having a little trouble figuring out how long the cord attached to the headphones should be (I'll worry about getting an extension cord later, as I'm thinking I may need a longer one and midnight cable is expensive).  I measured the distance between my amp and my head at 4 feet.  I added two feet for slack and asked him to do a 6 foot cord.

Then I got to thinking that this might hang down onto my keyboard and get in my way.  The amp sits on a shelf attached to my desktop.  I can post a picture of my setup if it'll help, but I'm basically wondering what the best cord length would be as 10 feet seems to catch my foot whenever I put it down and walked past, but I'm afraid six feet will be just long enough to be in my way.

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 21
I'm heading home now and will take a picture.  Don't mind the girly stenciling on the walls, though...My sister decided she wanted to make her room an art project and stenciled flowers on the wall.  Six months later she gets married and moves out.  I gave her kids my room since they spend almost as much time with us and moved into her room since it was bigger.  I haven't had a chance to repaint yet.

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
I'm heading home now and will take a picture.  Don't mind the girly stenciling on the walls, though...My sister decided she wanted to make her room an art project and stenciled flowers on the wall.  Six months later she gets married and moves out.  I gave her kids my room since they spend almost as much time with us and moved into her room since it was bigger.  I haven't had a chance to repaint yet.

Don't be shamed of your girly room. Be proud!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back