Head-Fi Talks New Headphones At CES 2012 With Tekzilla!
Jan 24, 2012 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28
Head-Fi Talks New Headphones at CES 2012 with Tekzilla!
 ​
 ​
(If you can't see the embedded video, click on this link.)
 ​
At CES 2012, I saw Patrick Norton, and had to introduce myself, as I'm a huge fan of Tekzilla. It turns out both Patrick and his co-host Veronica Belmont both frequent Head-Fi, so we had a lot to talk about. When I suggested that they give even more coverage to headphones, Patrick said the solution was simple: Let's talk about 'em on Tekzilla! And so we did.

Headphones discussed and/or shown:

1. Sennheiser HD 700
  2. Sennheiser Amperior
  3. Sennheiser RS 220
  4. Philips Fidelio L1
  5. Philips CitiScape Downtown
  6. V-MODA Crossfade M-80 (white)
  7. V-MODA Crossfade LP2
  8. Sonomax PCS-100 sculpted eers
  9. Sonomax PCS-200 sculpted eers
  10. Monster Diamond Tears Edge (in a discussion about a post-Beats Monster)
  11. Monster Turbine Pro
  12. Skullcandy Mix Master Mike
  13. Skullcandy Aviator
  14. Skullcandy Hesh2

When it comes to audio enthusiasm, make no mistake about it, Patrick is one of us!

If you can't see the embedded video above, click here to see our discussion about new headphones at CES 2012.

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 28
Very nice short/firm but detailed discussion of the highlits at CES 2012, although geek like I am and followed Tyll's coverage I already knew like 70% of that but yea you pointed out the most interesting topics. :p

I feel 2012 will be an excellent year for headphones now with this shocking lineup of Philips headphones as well as Dr. Dre is no longer associated with Monster company as well as Skullcandy is starting to improve the sound quality of their products hugely from now on. In an interview with the new very knowledgable Skullcandy sound engineer they hired he said they'd try to replace like 70~80% of their lineup in 2012 with a newer kind of manufacturing process instead of just importing cheap oem stuff from China with a focus on sound quality this time, that along to me is really wonderful news and I respect that kinda move very much that they admit themselves they've made only poor sounding headphones in the past and now want to do something about it as Skullcandy is one of the most common headphones I see around here, almost every teens seem to have them. 

Can't wait for some Philips Cityscape Downtown reviews either, seem like impressive $99 headphones (maybe lower street price even).

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 28

Quote:
Very nice short/firm but detailed discussion of the highlits at CES 2012, although geek like I am and followed Tyll's coverage I already knew like 70% of that but yea you pointed out the most interesting topics. :p

I feel 2012 will be an excellent year for headphones now with this shocking lineup of Philips headphones as well as Dr. Dre is no longer associated with Monster company as well as Skullcandy is starting to improve the sound quality of their products hugely from now on. In an interview with the new very knowledgable Skullcandy sound engineer they hired he said they'd try to replace like 70~80% of their lineup in 2012 with a newer kind of manufacturing process instead of just importing cheap oem stuff from China with a focus on sound quality this time, that along to me is really wonderful news as Skullcandy is one of the most common headphones I see around here, almost every teens seem to have them. 

Can't wait for some Philips Cityscape Downtown reviews either, seem like impressive $99 (maybe lower street price even).

Monster said it's split with Beats was bc they wan'ted to target audiophile's :D hope they make a account on Head fi :D add in STAX's acquissiton by China, China stepping up it's audiophile and music game and other companies like SKullcandy and Sony both trying hard to get into audiophile :D
With the increase in comp from Vmoda, and the new Beyer DT1350's on the HD25's let's see how our fav German big audiophile companies react. :D Sennheiser, BeyerDynamic, Ultrasone :D

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #9 of 28

Quote:
its awsome that more companies are getting into audiophile quality headphones

it is. i hope phillips just delves in :D their S/PDIF format with Sony is much loved, but both companies have dropped out of audiophilia..they are both seemingly trying to re enter again....Monster on the other hand with their post......i don't think so. their new CES $300 headphones were more on self personality through headband design :/

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 28
OOH - New toys :wink: I have not got my hands on the Sennheiser Amperior yet but looking forward to having a play with some in a couple of weeks. They look lovely

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 28
I remember Patrick Norton when he co hosted Screen Savers with Leo LaPorte.  Brings back fond memories of back in the day.  Enjoyed the interview.  Jude, you are the best.  Thanks for keeping us updated on the latest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back