Head-Fi should have spell check
Jan 31, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think vBulletin has a spell check feature.

Wayne, check the ABC above the check mark on the top right when you respond. It is an spell checker I use all the time. The first time you downloand a plug in but then you are set.
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #33 of 43
I think alot of people dont even notice spelling and grammer mistakes.
There are native english speaking, american born people that cant spell, cant use the proper forms of words etc., like....

to, too, two
there, their, they're
you, you're

I talk to people in chat rooms from all over the world that excuse themselves for their english because it is only their second, third, fourth, or fifth language, and these people write much better english than native born english speakers in america who only know one single language, and cant even use it correctly.
I find it pathetic.
I never have any problem understanding what Head-Fi members type, even if english isnt their first language. Most of you are better at communicating than alot of americans, so dont worry or be ashamed at all.
I wish i knew enough of a few other languages to at least get by.
I know english. Whatever i know of a few other languages isnt nearly enough to do anything useful.
Im impressed by some people in other countries that know 5 or 7 languages almost fluently.

So durrz whutt i gots tuh say bout dat yall.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #34 of 43
Thanks drag0n for such open minded opinion. People use "then" instead "than" a lot when come to comparison, which really confuse and bug the hell of me......

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #35 of 43
Drag0n: Capitalize 'English." It's a proper noun.
wink.gif

Misuse of the English language doesn't bother me all that much, don't sweat the small stuff, Seamaster.

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Drag0n: Capitalize 'English." It's a proper noun.
wink.gif

Misuse of the English language doesn't bother me all that much, don't sweat the small stuff, Seamaster.

On the internet, im not so careful actually. Im not writing a book or a thesis.
I dont usually put the " ' " in dont (don't) either when im just posting or texting.
But im talking about people who constantly make errors, not just lazy typers like me...lol.

A mistake once in awhile isnt bad, but some people are terrible.

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #37 of 43
This is true. Sometimes, it's just like someone typed something into a translator, then flipped languages 10 times, then C+P'd it onto head-fi...

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #38 of 43
Apart from people with an continually offended sense of propriety, if a persons post can be deciphered, why should it matter?

Not all of us on Head-Fi have the benefit of a comprehensive education in a first world country or English as a first language.

In these sorts of threads, if you are arguing the opposing point of view, I'd suggest being utterly meticulous in your grammar, spelling and punctuation.

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #39 of 43
^ Langugae is the best way for people to communicate. English is not my native tongue but I try to use it the right way.
FWIW I use the Firefox spelling checker. Super easy; with two clicks with the mouse you can change languages.

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #40 of 43
I find spell checking useful, and have mine set to English as standard.
Not because I have any major spelling problems, but it is easy to type a wrong letter here and there. A quick look for red dots before pressing "Submit Reply" catch most of them.

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #41 of 43
Language and grammar are not inclusive. I'd also suggest that many are youth, in the learning process, type like they speak. If I can understand the dialogue, I won't criticize them. I might give thought to but won't judge their efforts. If you know enough to get r dun, it's enough.

I do agree with those who comment on the non-native language members having a better grasp of grammar than most. I salute you your efforts.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think alot of people dont even notice spelling and grammer mistakes.
There are native english speaking, american born people that cant spell, cant use the proper forms of words etc.,.....

I find it pathetic.
I never have any problem understanding what Head-Fi members type, even if english isnt their first language. .

Do you find it pathetic when people don't use apostrophes and capitalize English? It's OK, I understand what you meant.
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back