Head-Fi Short-cuts? Tips? User guide?
Jun 10, 2006 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

imho

500+ Head-Fier
Hello folks,

Although I have passed my 500th post, I am still new to Head-Fi and learning.

I just found out the < or > buttons in front of page numbers will take you to the previous or next page within a thread.

I know how to 'search' for items. I found out how the 'buddy/ignore' list works and how to insert threads and images in to a post.

Are there other things I should know or tricks/tips or short cuts people use to navigate Head-Fi?

*How and why would you subscribe to a thread?

*How do you create folders within a PM.

*What are some "absoultely, positively" must-do's on Head-Fi besides reading threads on the Forums?

Just curious to know if there are things that the veterans know that the newbies don't know since there is no 'user's guide' to Head-Fi and I am still new to this whole vBulletin concept.

I would like to thank you in advance for all your help and for making my Head-Fi experience more enjoyable.

Sincerely,
Joonmo

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 13
I'll tackle a couple of those.

Subscribing to a thread is nice, especially for things like build threads. If it falls back a page or two, you don't have to hunt for it.

Head-Fi must dos? I can think of two. First, attend a meet. I still haven't done this, but I will be at the L.A. meet in August and I'll go to the 2007 National Meet, too. Second, build an amp. You have to. Get a soldering iron and build one. Just do it.

Jun 10, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

What are some "absoultely, positively" must-do's on Head-Fi besides reading threads on the Forums?

In no real order of preference but some things you "must do" to be a real Head-Fier:

1: Praise the Mighty Trog. This involves crawling on your hand and knees (with your nose touching the carpet) along a 100 yard stretch to the Mighty Trog (a toy monkey with a wooden broomstick handle coated in chille powder between his legs) You must "praise the trog" and this can only be done properly by licking all of the chille powder off his "broomstick". You can gain extra points if you burn the skin off your nose on the carpet on the crawl up to the Mighty Trog.

2: Get banned. An essential part of being a "true" member. A one day ban will get you "into the club" but a one week ban will guarantee you inclusion into the select "Hardcore Head-Fier" zone where you will get a monthly newsletter and a free stuffed toy of your choice.

3: Streak at a Head-Fi Meet. This is not essential but guaranteed to get you noticed. Get your kit off and run around your local Head-Fi meet "Naked"....... get up on a table and express yourself in "dance" at the same time singing "I'm a teapot, I'm a teapot, look at my spout" Guaranteed to gain some respect doing that. We have already witnessed a member of "Team Fat-Gut" exposing his stomach at the National Head-Fi meet...... this, IMO, does not constitute a "full frontal streak" but respect to Tyll for "almost" going all the way
wink.gif

tyll3.jpg

4: Money in a brown envelope. Probably fastest way to get into the "club" Money in a brown envelope can be sent to either me or Sovkiller. Used notes in a brown envelope to Pinkie, C/O The lunatic asylum, Scotland UK PO. BoX NUT357X

More to follow............

Jun 11, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 13
Just a little curiousity...why are no discussions allowed on the "For Sale" forum? I have no problem with it, I was just curious to know why.

Between Pink Floyd and Uncle Erik...uh, I am lost for words... For ONCE on Head-Fi, I am speechless~

Jun 12, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 13
The For Sale forums aren't really the appropriate place for discussions, since someone wants to sell their item not talk about how they hate it.
orphsmile.gif

Jun 12, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
Do you use the New Post function? I didn't know about it for a long time. It's one of the buttons on that dark blue strip underneath your username and PM information. Pretty useful, I think.

I find the quote function to most helpful when making reference to other posts. But generally I use it for posts with some sort of smartass comment in them.

Jun 12, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
I find the quote function to most helpful when making reference to other posts. But generally I use it for posts with some sort of smartass comment in them.

Yeah, one thing is I'm still too lazy to quote several people in one post.

Jun 12, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh

Yeah, actually you are thinking of the Post Reply button.

The one I'm talking about let's you see a list of threads that recently (last half hour or something) had replies.

Jun 12, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 13
I just recently discovered the "new posts button" quit useful IMHO, I dunno why I didnlt discover that sooner, I kept going to each section and reading a little...but if you hit new posts it will show you all new posts in every catagory.

As stated quote and reply are handy, gives people that don't read the whole thread what your replying to...

Preview before you posts is quit handy, I have seen a few posts that could of used that feature
rolleyes.gif
but thankfully for me there is also the edit button
smily_headphones1.gif
I use that one quit a bit...

Heck Im still new here, but close to 300 posts... Any other suggestions from the old timers lets here em
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb
I just recently discovered the "new posts button" quit useful IMHO, I dunno why I didnlt discover that sooner, I kept going to each section and reading a little...but if you hit new posts it will show you all new posts in every catagory.

believe it or not, i just learned about that function this year. yep, i actually had to sift through the threads like a commoner before then
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back