Class A+: Sennheiser Orpheus
Class A: Whatever sounds best to your ears after the Orpheus
Class B: Whatever sounds best to your ears after class A
Class C: Whatever sounds best to your ears after class B
Class D: Whatever sounds best to your ears after class C

cool.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #32 of 46
I can agree with this assessment that the A900LTD should be at least class B phones. The A900LTD is at least as good as the ATH-W1000 and the Beyer DT880 with cardas cables of which I have compared them both.

I just read the thread authors assessment concerning these phones. At least he is honest in his bias against the Audio-Technical sound. This puts these phones in their proper placement around here with a bias against these phones.

Iron_Dreamer has a much more balanced view of the ATH headphones without placing the A900s or A900LTD into his list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
If you heard A900 and A900LTD briefly then I should honour your list
smily_headphones1.gif
Otherwise A900 should be in "C" and A900LTD should be in "B" category.

Mar 28, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
Iron_Dreamer has a much more balanced view of the ATH headphones without placing the A900s or A900LTD into his list.

I did put the A900 as class C, and I've not heard the LTD, so no comment there. If it is at least comprable with the W1000, I'd agree with you on it, though it'd have to be mighty impressive to go any higher, of which I'd be somewhat skeptical.

Mar 28, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #37 of 46
My short list till now based on my personal experience and using Raul's scheme:

Class A+: Sennheiser Orpheus (not my cup of tea but anyway, the sound is out of class...if you have not heard it, just do it ASAP...)

Class A: R-10...CD3000...AKG K1000...sorry I have not found any other that I really like that will come close here, but I hope maybe in the near future I could place some others in this class...

Class B: Whatever sounds best to your ears after class A

Class C: Whatever sounds best to your ears after class B

Class D: Whatever sounds best to your ears after class C

Mar 28, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #39 of 46
not so well done, all those ATH headphones on the top? grrr... and Sony SA5000 is not a whole different level above the HD650, they are in the same league.
and the PS-1 deserves some respect.

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
not so well done, all those ATH headphones on the top? grrr... and Sony SA5000 is not a whole different level above the HD650, they are in the same league.
and the PS-1 deserves some respect.

HD650 is in class 'A' if driven balanced.

Regarding Audio-Technica, I realised all headphones are rated after listening through a good DAC's and AMP. If unamped list will go on then you'll see all AT's in 'A' class.

Still some of Audio-Technica's would capture 'A' class if driven through best DAC's.

oops... my thoughts.
icon10.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #41 of 46
Yea, your class B is fairly respectable I think. I do not have enough experience to suggest that they should be any higher in your listing.

I overlooked you A900 placement, sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I did put the A900 as class C, and I've not heard the LTD, so no comment there. If it is at least comprable with the W1000, I'd agree with you on it, though it'd have to be mighty impressive to go any higher, of which I'd be somewhat skeptical.

Mar 28, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #43 of 46
Hmm. Well, out of the cans I've owned or, with reference to the R10, CD3k and RS-1, long-term borrowed (all single-ended and not balanced):

Class A
I'm guessing Sennheiser HE90 will go here, but can't really say 'til I get an amp...
Qualia 010
AKG K 1000
Sony MDR-R10
audio-technica ATH-L3000
Grado HP-1000

Class B
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD600
Sony MDR-CD3000
Sony MDR-SA5000
Grado RS-1
Grado PS-1
audio-technica ATH-W11JPN
Sensaphonics 2X-S
audio-technica ATH-W10VTG

Class C
Grado SR-225
Grado HF-1
Shure E4c
Shure E5c
audio-technica ATH-ES7
Sony MDR-EXQ1

Class D
Koss KSC75
Sennheiser PX200
audio-technica ATH-ES5
UE superfi 5 Pro

Otherwise if I've owned it and don't list it, guess I'm really can't recommend them.
biggrin.gif
tho the reasoning for such differs...

Anyway, them's the thoughts. I can certainly respect a few other lists in this thread as being different here and there but all in all in line with my experience as well.

Best,

-Jason

Postscript: hmm, this list is rather Stax deficient... probably ought to give more time to AKG and Beyers ... sigh, not done yet...
biggrin.gif

Post-Postscript: lol, I just re-read the list. Man, I have to say my recommendations seem so conventional! But that's what I think!

Post-Post-Postscript: Also I've only had the HP1 for a few days and it's increasingly impressing me. We'll see if it breaks into Class A for me...
biggrin.gif

PPPS: Moved the HP1 to Class A. It's clearly worthy.

Mar 28, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #44 of 46
From what I've heard and owned:

Class A:

-Senn HD-650 in balance mode.
-ATH-L3000
-ATH-W2002 (I used to think that they are a Class AB product, but after I upgraded my source to Richard Kern Modded Sony SCD-777ES, the W2002s are very impressive)

Class AB:
-Baby O system (I owned the combo for 3 months and I enjoyed the HD-650 w/ Zu and RKV MKII more).
-AKG-K1000 (The K1000 was magical with the RKV MKIIk, but I displeased w/ the comfort)
-Grado PS-1
-Grado RS-1
-Senn HD-650 w/ upgrade cables
-ATH-W5000
-Modded Sony MDR-CD3K w/ Silver Dragon (bottom of Class AB for me)

Class B:
-Sony MDR-CD3000 (Not as refine as others above, and a little too bright)
-Senn HD-600 (Easy to please but a little bit much in the midbass)
-Senn HD-580 Jubilee (The Jubilee is more balanced and offer flatter freq. than the HD-600)
-Shure E5C (lots of fun)
-Beyer DT-880 (Nice, but I like the HD-580 Jubilee better)
-ATH-W11JPN (a little too heavy in the bass, but very enjoyable)
-Grado RS-2
-Sony MDR-SA5000 (I prefer a more musical CD3K to the SA5K, Tom Hankins also agree)
-Ety ER-4S (very SA5K like, but the comfort is bad)
-ATH-A1000 (own this briefly, and they are at the bottom of class B)

Class C:
-Senn HD-580 (great beginning audiophile headphones)
-Sony MDR-CD1700 (impressive closed phones for the price)
-ATH-W10VTG (they are good headphones, but not as refine as others AT woodies, especially in resolution department.)
-Grado HF-1 (great deal for the price, but still behind the RS-2)
-ATH-A100Ti (similar to A1000, but not as refine - buttom of Class C for me)
-Grado SR-325 (bottom of Class C)
-Grado SR-225 (bottom of Class C)

Class D:
-Grado SR-125
-Grado SR-80
-JVC HA-D990 (very grado like presentation)
-Sony MDR-E484
-Sony MDR-V7
-Sony MDR-V6
-Denon HA-D950 (??)
-Koss KSC-35
-Sony MDR-E888
-Shure E2C

Mar 28, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #45 of 46
Of all the headphones and IEMs that I've owned and/or heard, this would be my list (listed alphabetically):

Class A:

AKG K1000
Sony MDR-R10

Class AB:

None

Class B:

AKG K701
Grado RS-1
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD650

Class C:

AKG K501
Beyerdynamic DT880 (2003 model; I have not heard the newest version)
Etymotic ER-4S
Grado SR-325i
Sennheiser HD595

Class D:

Grado SR-225
Sennheiser HD555

Class MP:

Koss KSC-35
Sennheiser PX100
Shure E3c
Sony MDR-7506

Users who are viewing this thread