Head-Fi Recommended Components
Mar 27, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
I also respect your openions though. But it must be titled as your favourite list rather then Head-Fi favorite list. As you told you dont like Audiotechnica's sound while many members here likes them too much. How Head-Fi list be evaluated by just one person's openion ?

I didn't mean to suggest that this list was somehow authorized or condoned by head-fi, or is somehow official. It is based on (a) my personal experiences, and (b) reading lots of reviews and trying to compile other people's opinions. I'm just trying to have a little fun -- this is not the end-all be-all of headphone lists. For example, I've owned some of these headphones and listened to them extensively. Others I've only heard for a few minutes, either in meet conditions, or at stores, or at people's houses. I can't change the thread title, but if the mods think that it is misleading, it can perhaps be changed to: "Head-Fi Recommended Components: One Person's Opinions."
tongue.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard
I didn't mean to suggest that this list was somehow authorized or condoned by head-fi, or is somehow official. It is based on (a) my personal experiences, and (b) reading lots of reviews and trying to compile other people's opinions. I'm just trying to have a little fun -- this is not the end-all be-all of headphone lists. For example, I've owned some of these headphones and listened to them extensively. Others I've only heard for a few minutes, either in meet conditions, or at stores, or at people's houses. I can't change the thread title, but if the mods think that it is misleading, it can perhaps be changed to: "Head-Fi Recommended Components: One Person's Opinions."
tongue.gif

OK, sorry if any of my word hurts you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Meanwhile I can just say you that try these phones personally. It's totally different as I experienced and peoples expressions. These phones along with woody's can compete open cans whether in clearity, neutrality, And better seperations.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also I am not a fan of Sony's CD3000 while as per peoples review, it must have place in "B" catagory.

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

tongue.gif

its pretty spot on..if we do stock config....although balanced senn are something else..

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

"Well, of course it's impossible to agree on a list, but I am not sure why that's a reason not to make one. American Film Institute comes out with best movies list. Does that mean that we all have to agree that Godfather or Gone With The Wind are the best movies ever made? No. Every city has a restaurant guide that lists the best restaurants in a list. Does that mean than an expensive French restaurant is objectively the best? Of course not. We have lists of top colleges, greatest soccer players, best authors, and many many other complete subjective categories. Why not have one for the hobby that we all love?"...

Yes, there are a lot of expert rankings in the world, and everyone represents something or somebody's idea. I just don't think most Head-Fier's would like to speak with one voice and rank equipment. I think it would be even very difficult for people liking the Grado line to agree, the Sennheiser lovers amongst each other, AKG devotees to agree, AKG, the SinglePower admirers, Headroom, RSA, Meier Audio, etc.

I think I could understand the value in a discussion around the sequence of the items on such a list. Why not, after all this is a forum. But ultimately, it will look like what the thread starter, or anybody who cares to respond, personally find the right sequence to be; hence, what is the common value? Mind you, this does not mean I do not like reviews. I do, a lot. But, I am then aware of that it is one person's view, and if it is about equipment I am interested in, I usually place comments.

I'm sorry if I sound very negative to some, it is just that I don't believe in a Head-Fi.org recommends list.

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
Also I am not a fan of Sony's CD3000 while as per peoples review, it must have place in "B" catagory.

I have listened to the CD3000, and I, too, wasn't a big fan. They definitely wouldn't be on my Class C. However, I placed them on the list because there seems to be some general opinion on Head-Fi that they should be there. Personally, as I mentioned earlier, I would have probably put either the AKG K340s, Koss ESP-950, or Stax 2020 or 4070 on the list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
although balanced senn are something else

I think that may be a different list as well. I didn't feel qualified to comment on modded equipment, esp. because I have no clue how much other headphones (like the K701, or the SA5000) will improve when balanced.

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
I'm sorry, but I honestly do not see any value in a list like this. Taste is divided and so are the preferences to headphones and related equipment: It will be impossible for the Head-Fi.org community to agree on such a list. Besides, who would want one and for what purpose? I don't need anybody to tell me what I find sounds good or not.

In addition, it is my understanding that Stereophile does not include components that they have not reviewed. How many people can say that they have sufficient listening experience with a significant number of phones in the Class A section, such that they can (1) confirm that they are Class A, and (2) determine where all the other cans rank in comparison?

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
In addition, it is my understanding that Stereophile does not include components that they have not reviewed. How many people can say that they have sufficient listening experience with a significant number of phones in the Class A section, such that they can (1) confirm that they are Class A, and (2) determine where all the other cans rank in comparison?

Absolutely. And if somebody like Wayne, or Nik, or Kevin Gilmore, or somebody else who has actually heard every headphone ever made a completely different list, I would put a lot more stock in theirs than even my own. This one is merely a composite of my opinions and the general consensus on headfi.

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #24 of 46
emmm... except electrostats, i think the lists follow pretty much the overall impressions on these forums.... from what i've been reading. good job..

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #25 of 46
A Balenced, gilmore balenced refernce amp i think, HD650 could, and did, beat, imho, the qualia at the meet. (but then again, i havn't heard the balenced qualia).

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
As always (with Head-Fi) this ranking is (almost) a price list...
icon10.gif

God point.

And if the top class models are so good, why are so many of them no longer being made? If they were really that good the manufacturer would want to keep them as flagship models.

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
God point.

And if the top class models are so good, why are so many of them no longer being made? If they were really that good the manufacturer would want to keep them as flagship models.

I presume they were discontinued because the company wasn't making any money on them, although I don't have access to any company records. But I'm not sure if that reflects on the quality of the product or not. I mean, Bose has been making their QC2 for years now, but not many people here would argue that they are better than the Orpheus, which is discontinued.

Mar 28, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #30 of 46
Here's my take on a class system, based on headphones I've owned or auditioned extensively:

A+
Sennheiser Orpheus
Sony Qualia 010
Sony R10
Stax Omega II

A
AKG K1000
Audio-Technica L3000
Audio-Technica W5000
Audio-Technica W2002
Grado HP1000
Sennheiser HE60
Sony SA5000
Stax SR404

B
AKG K701
Audio-Technica W1000
Beyerdynamic DT880
Grado RS1
Grado PS1 (class-A if driven balanced)
Sennheiser HD650 (class-A if driven balanced)
Sennheiser HD600
Sony CD3000

C
AKG K501
AKG K271S
Alessandro MS2
Audio-Technica A900
Beyerdynamic DT831
Beyerdynamic DT770-80
Beyerdynamic DT531
Grado SR325
Grado SR225