Head-Fi mentioned in New York Times article about headphones!
Feb 8, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #62 of 149
Well for whatever reason these are the de-facto standard forums for headphone discussion. A) It's a popular website with a lot of accounts and traffic. B) I don't know of any other purely headphone devoted websites that have forums.

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #63 of 149

Quote:
Well for whatever reason these are the de-facto standard forums for headphone discussion. A) It's a popular website with a lot of accounts and traffic. B) I don't know of any other purely headphone devoted websites that have forums.

That's a good point, ac500. I interface regularly with many of the companies whose products we're interested in and/or buy (sponsors and non-sponsors alike).

The community here has an enormous amount of influence on our nichey (but growing) world of headphone audio (and especially premium headphone audio). Trust me, many companies do pay close attention to the goings-on here, and many of them will design products specifically to appeal to the audio-first enthusiasts here, or at least weigh the community's feedback (about their products and the products of competitors) in their product planning and development.

The collective voice of the community here has far greater impact and influence than any one reviewer does. And, in that, in this space, Head-Fi is pretty unique.

Feb 8, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #64 of 149
I find the organisation and the mechanics of this site pretty awesome too. Very impressive.

Gigantic site that comes up first on a Google search about sometimes completely random and audio unrelated topics.

And jude, it is impressive how manufactures directly listen to feedback from here. Many times it's about really technical stuff too.

Anyway what a smooth and freeflowing site you founded Jude. Congratulations!

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #68 of 149
But for some audiophiles, one set of headphones isn’t enough. Ronald Shmyr, a U.S.-based banker and a self-professed audiophile, owns several different pairs, each for a different purpose: Sony in-ear buds for music, Shure in-ear buds for athletics, over-ear padded Sennheiser headphones for comfort, and the full-size Bose for noise canceling. The newest addition to his collection is his favorite — the Bluetooth wireless Beats by Dr. Dre ($279.95, www. Beatsbydre.com). “They have great sound and great ease of use as I love not having wires,” Mr. Shmyr said. “They also have a rechargeable battery, and although the bass is a bit too much for my taste, the handy wireless feature is overwhelmingly worth it and makes up for that. They are amazing,” he says of the D.J.-promoted brand, adding that they may be the last set he buys — for a while anyway.

This guy gives bankers a bad name.

Audiophile...over-ear headphones for comfort...

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #72 of 149

Quote:
But for some audiophiles, one set of headphones isn’t enough. Ronald Shmyr, a U.S.-based banker and a self-professed audiophile, owns several different pairs, each for a different purpose: Sony in-ear buds for music, Shure in-ear buds for athletics, over-ear padded Sennheiser headphones for comfort, and the full-size Bose for noise canceling. The newest addition to his collection is his favorite — the Bluetooth wireless Beats by Dr. Dre ($279.95, www. Beatsbydre.com). “They have great sound and great ease of use as I love not having wires,” Mr. Shmyr said. “They also have a rechargeable battery, and although the bass is a bit too much for my taste, the handy wireless feature is overwhelmingly worth it and makes up for that. They are amazing,” he says of the D.J.-promoted brand, adding that they may be the last set he buys — for a while anyway.

This guy gives bankers a bad name.

Audiophile...over-ear headphones for comfort...

The Beats weren't an indicator that this guy is not an audiophile?

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #73 of 149
Depends which definition you take.
He definitely seems to be an audiophile--in the sense of simply liking music. If less SQ still makes something he can qualify as music, then there is no problem there.

In the other widely used definition of audiophile--he most likely does not sound like one.

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #74 of 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantScareMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But apart from that the article sucked!  Is this really written for the new york times, or is it a fake mock up version- the grammar and punctuation is weird.

The NYT was among the first credible newspapers to get rid of the -- in their view -- unnecessary expense of staff proofreaders.  The disillusioning evidence of that decision has been apparent ever since. 

The copyediting tends to be better than this particular article suggests, but then again, so does the writing.  We should look up Jennifer Conlin to determine whether she's ever written anything decent.  Apparently, her magnum opus is The Perfect Parents Handbook (note the absence of a possessive in the title -- that's intentional).

On the nether hind, the NYT also publishes articles regularly by people like E. L. Doctorow, who's hardly one of my favorites but at least knows how to offset appositives and punctuate correctly.

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #75 of 149
Jude:  I have to agree that congratulations are in order for this very fine site.  I've been to other audio-oriented sites like AK and Audiogon, but have not found the intellectual and artistic bandwidth the membership of this very fine effort of yours has contributed to the love of music and craftsmanship.

I, too was disappointed by the NYT article and found it a gross departure from other fine writings in it.  Perhaps you might want to post a comment in the editorial section about the fingerwagging the article's writer got from those in the know and it may lead to further exposure to the truly great gear out there.

As for the grevious omission of amplifiers in the article, aaarrrrgghhhhh.  One can only imagine the reaction of lay readers to BHSE, Beta22, Stax gear, DarkStar, Liquid Fire mentions.... with those feats of audio engineering design (and prices
blink.gif
), "audiophile" just might get the meaning it deserves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back