Head-Fi Meet: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada - July 8th
Jun 13, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #31 of 297
I would actually really like to get my hands on an SPL meter, if even for a little bit to test what my normal listening level is. I'll even bring a piece of cardboard for the test
biggrin.gif
And it's not as if our good friend Jason hasn't done this before, we've had a couple of awesome meets, fun with cats, beer and headphones! That reminds me, we should get a couple of people to bring some drinks that people can pitch into a pot for. I find it really helps the listening experience
rolleyes.gif
And, are we going to be going late/doing dinner?

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #32 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
I would actually really like to get my hands on an SPL meter, if even for a little bit to test what my normal listening level is. I'll even bring a piece of cardboard for the test
biggrin.gif
And it's not as if our good friend Jason hasn't done this before, we've had a couple of awesome meets, fun with cats, beer and headphones! That reminds me, we should get a couple of people to bring some drinks that people can pitch into a pot for. I find it really helps the listening experience
rolleyes.gif
And, are we going to be going late/doing dinner?

Good point, will their be food / will we be going for dinner or? Last meet sucked because I was so freaking hungry (didn't eat dinner as I left early), and their was only coke which I detest. As for alcohol, I can't say much about that, but I'de be willing to pay for my own meal if we were to go out or something, although that may not be what your referring to. Also, is it fine to bring chips and drinks? 12 pm is generally near my lunch (12:40 pm is schools lunch.) We'de keep the food away from the phones obviously
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #33 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophiliac
Jay, I dont' know the layout or space of your place, but I was wondering...would it be possible to have a dedicated listening room? (no talking allowed) Distractions were an issue at the last meet, and this would greatly improve people's listening. Tables with chairs facing the walls would be good too, less distracting with coming and goings. It's kind of a lot to hope for, but could be very
smily_headphones1.gif

Stop PMing Jason...

I think that's a good idea. Some people may just want to talk, but sometime you just want to sit down with a peice of gear for a good while. The only problem I see is with open-air cans playing loud-ish music could also be distracting.

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #34 of 297
Quote:

That reminds me, we should get a couple of people to bring some drinks that people can pitch into a pot for.

I don't think I will be getting a couple 24's this time, so it is BYOB. Though if I catch anyone drinking who looks like they are underaged, I'm taking out my belt.
evil_smiley.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Good point, will their be food / will we be going for dinner or? Last meet sucked because I was so freaking hungry (didn't eat dinner as I left early), and their was only coke which I detest.

We usually go out for dinner to a local sports bar and/or order pizza later on... just don't let me pick the toppings.
tongue.gif
Quote:

Also, is it fine to bring chips and drinks?

I usually have some snacks out and will get a case of water, but feel free to bring whatever you'd like.
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #35 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I don't think I will be getting a couple 24's this time, so it is BYOB. Though if I catch anyone drinking who looks like they are underaged, I'm taking out my belt.
evil_smiley.gif
We usually go out for dinner to a local sports bar and/or order pizza later on... just don't let me pick the toppings.
tongue.gif
I usually have some snacks out and will get a case of water, but feel free to bring whatever you'd like.
wink.gif

How many times do I have to tell you? I am anti alcohol. Alcohol kills the body and is stupid! Does nobody believe that I think alcohol is bad?

For food, will their be details later-on of how much money each person should bring if they plan to go to the sports bar or whatever? (BTW, is the sports bar okay for <21? Some are only for >21 I believe.) And yeah, I'll check if I have anything interesting to bring food wise, my mom buys loads of this stuff I never end up eating.

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #36 of 297
Quote:

How many times do I have to tell you? I am anti alcohol. Alcohol kills the body and is stupid! Does nobody believe that I think alcohol is bad?

It was a JOKE!
biggrin.gif
Quote:

is the sports bar okay for <21? Some are only for >21 I believe.

I think they let kiddies in there as long as you are eating... as for how much money to bring, that is up to you. If you think you will be eating steak, figure $20 with non-alcoholic beverage and tip. Otherwise, $10-$15 should do it. If you think you will be staying really late and will be there for the late night pizza, we usually all pitch in $10.

Jun 13, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #37 of 297
Quote:

If you think you will be staying really late and will be there for the late night pizza, we usually all pitch in $10.

How late is really late?

Jun 14, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #39 of 297
yea, me and Asmo will be staying a heck of alot later, as we have no Feens to contend with! Great guy, but hes just not into this stuff as much as we both are.

Jun 14, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #40 of 297
Quote:

yea, me and Asmo will be staying a heck of alot later, as we have no Feens to contend with! Great guy, but hes just not into this stuff as much as we both are.

My parents could care less if I stayed till 5 am, but the biggest problem is getting home (my mom would probably pick up as last as 4, but she wouldn't drive too far.) If I was to stay late, would there be any other gta'ers I could go home with late at night (no way my parents would let me on public transport alone late at night), and if so, could they wait at the bus stop till my parents get there?

Sorry if this seems ridiculous, but my parents do have a point.

Jun 14, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #41 of 297
Quote:

My parents could care less if I stayed till 5 am, but the biggest problem is getting home (my mom would probably pick up as last as 4, but she wouldn't drive too far.) If I was to stay late, would there be any other gta'ers I could go home with late at night (no way my parents would let me on public transport alone late at night), and if so, could they wait at the bus stop till my parents get there?

Sorry if this seems ridiculous, but my parents do have a point.

I'll be taking the bus back, unless someone has extra room in a car for me. I don't need room for gear in the car, I'll just have a packpack's worth. I'd probably be taking the GO-bus back, I don't know which though. I probably won't be staying until about 4 am though.

Jun 14, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #42 of 297
Well, Yorgi [Rick] is coming... which is a good thing. Not only a good guy, but great taste in beer.
biggrin.gif

I know I said not to bring more than 3 headphones of the same type, but we do have 3 HD600's... all with different cables. Should be fun to have a little shootout. I can moderate it as I don't want my anti-Senn attitude to skew the test.
evil_smiley.gif

If we can just get a HD650 and a Zu Mobius we can really have a shootout!
cool.gif

EDIT: By the way, I updated my signature so that people can check who is coming and what they are bringing quickly.

Jun 14, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #43 of 297
Quote:

Well, Yorgi [Rick] is coming... which is a good thing. Not only a good guy, but great taste in beer.
biggrin.gif

I know I said not to bring more than 3 headphones of the same type, but we do have 3 HD600's... all with different cables. Should be fun to have a little shootout. I can moderate it as I don't want my anti-Senn attitude to skew the test.
evil_smiley.gif

If we can just get a HD650 and a Zu Mobius we can really have a shootout!
cool.gif

EDIT: By the way, I updated my signature so that people can check who is coming and what they are bringing quickly.

I might not bring mine, possibly just the upgrade cable, no promises though, if their are three, I might not want to bring mine, just because it will give my parents peace of mind.

Jun 14, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #44 of 297
Quote:

Bump.
wink.gif

I will be sending out some PM's tonight to folks who have shown interest or have been to previous Hamilton meets. I will also follow up with Tyll to confirm if he will be making an appearance... as well as another manufacturer.
cool.gif

Haven't gotten my office back together after deconstructing it for the Stereophile show, so I'm a bit lax on my email at the moment but will drop you a not to confirm and send a gear list. However, I'm in!

Jun 14, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #45 of 297
JaGWiRe: That's fine, just bring the cable.
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
Haven't gotten my office back together after deconstructing it for the Stereophile show, so I'm a bit lax on my email at the moment but will drop you a not to confirm and send a gear list. However, I'm in!

Actually, I haven't sent you the email yet... but I suppose this saves me from doing so.
biggrin.gif

Glad you can make it buddy, let me know if you want to come down the night before or need a place to crash after the meet. Also, though I would love to hear all your stuff again, don't go too crazy with the gear.
tongue.gif

PS. Check the new Announcements link in my signature.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back