Head-Fi has ruined my ears...
Jun 11, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snicewicz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1.21 Jiggawatts.

Just spend the money you would on speakers on a Stax sytem.
smily_headphones1.gif
I am giving you this advice as it is my field test to see the results. I am tempted by the world of electrostats but I am trying not to get sucked in.

I'll let you know how I fare...

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #33 of 46
Yeah,

I have a 5.1 setup based of of the NXT technology. They sound really great, especially for the price. Sure, not quite as detailed as my k400 - but that ain't bad.

Yeah, magna planars sound really good.

Just look at how many high end manufacturers are starting to make them. My speakers can be huge on a wall (as they are now) and give a soundstage as though you are in a much larger space.

My reccomendation is to go planar, magnar planar, electrostat, NXT, whatever floats your boat.

They do need a fair bit of wattage. I have 100W going to each satelite and they are not big speakers. Even with that much power, they don't get earth shatteringly loud. Granted, I run them at 3/5th of their potential.

Jun 12, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no way I will ever buy loudspeakers that sound as good, as detailed, as balanced as the DT990/Zero/Solo rig.

I'd be fairly happy to find a headphone rig that doesn't cost the earth but that sounds as good as my home speaker setup (so that I can listen to music without disturbing others). That's what drew me to Head-Fi in the first place. Still working on it!

I have a relatively simple system - MythTV media server, Chaintech AV-710, optical SP/DIF to Rotel RSX-1056 and a pair of Spendor S9 speakers. They're a bit more expensive than 800 euros (especially in Australia where imported speakers have higher overheads), but they integrate fairly deep bass (under 30Hz in-room) and good treble extension into a quite well balanced and rather pleasing overall sound - at least to my ears.

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have an idea exactly how much power you'd need from an amp?

It's not so much how much power, but more the ampere it could deliver and it has a high enough slewrate.

Very popular amongst Magnepan owners is the Bryston 4B (and 7B) which are really nice amps (love them myself). If i had them today, i would try the Hypex UcD models to see if the can power them properly. Without a good amp the sound sluggish, wish the aren't.

Jun 12, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #37 of 46
I am still disturbed by the lack of detail in some high end speakers I've had the displeasure of sitting with vs my lowly headphones.

...but then I do have a TakeT
evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #38 of 46
I'm almost in the opposite camp as the OP, my family have been friends of the owners of a highly reputable hi-fi store for years and every time I go in there, they give me a listen of some or other gear that is simply earth-shatteringly good, even if it's "only" $10k or $20k in total. The last was a considerably more expensive set-up, IIRC with an Atoll amp or CD player (I don't recall exactly) and Piega speakers... cellos playing base notes on that were as detailed as the treble in anything I'd heard previously. I've not heard a system there where the speakers were simply GONE and you were there. Headphones can't get me there, but they get me far enough.

Jun 18, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtwn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still disturbed by the lack of detail in some high end speakers I've had the displeasure of sitting with vs my lowly headphones.

...but then I do have a TakeT
evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

Interestingly I have been using SuperFreqs out of an iBasso D2 Boa via USB for the last few days and on one recording last night there were two tracks that sounded quite bad, as if the recording was poorly done or deliberately degraded. I listened to them on my speaker setup again and the problems could be heard if you listened closely but could also be easily missed if you weren't...

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #40 of 46
ruined my ears too (although probly not as much as all you people with systems costing many times mine). now, whenever anybody takes out their mp3 player and says, hey i got a cool song wanna have a listen? i have to fish for my own phones first.

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #41 of 46
I played with toys when I was little;
Not interested at dolls anymore except putting a can aroud their heads
good music and sq aren't verything. Differences or curiosities seemed more attractive

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve The Egg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know what you mean. I just got into this hobby, and my wallet is slowly dying.

u r lucky, my pocket goes empty
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #43 of 46
Don't worry All of the top audio companies are working on a cure

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #45 of 46
I went the opposite way. I have been trying for years to replicate the sound of my Rega Ela's with headphones, and I have pretty much accepted failure on that now. The Ela's are a unique speaker which many owners say they will never sell, as to many, there are few, if any all round better, more musical speakers. Thats despite the fact that, in England, these speakers are ridiculously cheap on the 2nd hand market, on account of being ugly and not very well known...

However, I've found my headphone destiny now in the form of the HD600s which for whatever reason that I cant explain, have synergised in ways that the HD650, DT880 et al never did, and I now appreciate it as much in its own way. I have to say I have spent a lot of the last few years thinking that, in comparison to my speakers which cost less than any of these headphones, most of the headphones were simply under par.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back