Head-Fi has ruined my ears...
Jun 11, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by charonme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The speakers could have sounded much better in a finely tweaked room but surely not as good as headphones for half the price

Yes, you're right. But then again, I won't have a finely tweaked room at home. It will be our living room rig and with a one-year old running around doing his own 'tweaking', the auditioning basement was probably a fair representation of how our living room is going to sound.

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #18 of 46
Is there any cure in sight???!!!
frown.gif
(

Theres so much money put into cancer and aids research etc., and meanwhile we have an epidemic!!!

Im afraid we are all doomed to aquire mountains of headphone gear until weve blocked ourselves into a small corner of the room ,where there is a chair and a wall outlet to plug into, to be forever torchured by music.

This is our sad demise people. @};-

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #19 of 46
I don't think there is a "cure" for this expensive hobby of ours. Like somebody mentioned earlier, just enjoy the ride ...

For me right now the challenge is to find IEM's that sound and fit "right". So far I have abandoned the universals (could never get them to fit right), and I am right now with the true-custom ones (FreQs). I am waiting now to get them back from the second re-fit ...

Who knows what will be the next thing ...

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #21 of 46
Yup, those are wise words, Akabeth. I think I shall contain myself. Those Stax Omega II's are doing just fine without me
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, those are wise words, Akabeth. I think I shall contain myself. Those Stax Omega II's are doing just fine without me
wink.gif

No, no! I say buy them and give em to me when you're done with them.
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #23 of 46
I get it, too. I bought my first "stereo" when hi-fi and stereos were new, back in the 1950's. Over time, my tastes refined and I bought some relatively high end components for my LP collection.

Ultimately, I lost the stereo system---meaning speakers in our living room---to my wife's decision to redecorate the living room and, thus, rid the world of my "ugly" speakers. I unwillingly conceded the speakers didn't go with the new decor.

No speakers=forlorn.

Then comes Head-Fi. I'm now set up with cans (Senn 595 & Denon 2000), an amp (Little Dot MK V), Apple Lossless and an Ipod. While my set up is not the most advanced, I'm very pleased with it. It's brought great sound back into my life and I think the SQ with my present system far exceeds anything I previously had. At last, I no longer miss the speakers.

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #24 of 46
Groeten uit Brabant!

There is an alternative to electrostatic speakers. Check out Magnepan's. But make sure you use a poweramp that can deliver, else, no magic. Best bass i have ever heard from a speaker. If you like bass, get 1.5 or higher. There are quite some available here in the netherlands second hand.

Still miss my 1.5's daily. Should have given them a decent amp....
And still trying to find a headphone that could do bass like my Magnepan's did.

magnepan.jpg

And if you feel a little adventures, wait for the building plans of the Planot speaker.

And if you want really obscure, check out the findings of A.J. vd Hul. The story goes that he dared audio store owners to a game. That he could get better sound of there cheapest setup, but placed his way and placing his rings on spots he selected. And the owner of the store could select anything he wanted.

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #25 of 46
Dude those are some thin speakers!

Also I didn't know the 990's were that old, I thought only the 880's were that old, and the 990's were released in the 00's got any pictures?

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelle Schrijver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Groeten uit Brabant!

There is an alternative to electrostatic speakers. Check out Magnepan's. But make sure you use a poweramp that can deliver, else, no magic. Best bass i have ever heard from a speaker. [I

Oh man, this is scary! I was looking at those speakers myself... It must have been cosmically prearranged for me to buy them I think. And thanks for the other tip offs, I'll take a look at them.

Jun 11, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude those are some thin speakers!

Also I didn't know the 990's were that old, I thought only the 880's were that old, and the 990's were released in the 00's got any pictures?

I don't have any pics, unfortunately. I have a camera here, but no cable to connect it to the computer :Frown:. But I've attached a schematic drawing of the DT990 (the old DT990 as Beyer calls it on its website). As you can see the grills are the same as the PRO grills. It still looks quite much like its predecessor. It's very sturdy, but looks kinda cheap. The headclamp is made of plastic and not covered with leather. The headband looks like what it is: an '80's headband. 'Nuff said. It's a great phone, the best I've heard. But then, I am partial to it...

Jun 11, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelle Schrijver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But make sure you use a poweramp that can deliver, else, no magic.

Do you have an idea exactly how much power you'd need from an amp?

Jun 11, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, no! I say buy them and give em to me when you're done with them.
biggrin.gif

You, sir, are the devil.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have an idea exactly how much power you'd need from an amp?

1.21 Jiggawatts.

Just spend the money you would on speakers on a Stax sytem.
smily_headphones1.gif
I am giving you this advice as it is my field test to see the results. I am tempted by the world of electrostats but I am trying not to get sucked in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back