Head-Fi Forums Wish List
Apr 3, 2010 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Justin Uthadude

500+ Head-Fier
Here are some of the things I wish were stickied somewhere on the forums:
(or were easier to find using search)
Kinda of like a giant ‘readme’ file or a ‘start here first’ forum

1)Head-Fi Glossary- this is a dac, here’s what it does, this is a picture of a typical one, etc. This is what an rca connector looks like… flac and why people like it. You get the idea. Links would be nice.
2)Self Imposed Headphone Reviewer Ratings- People would disclose what category they feel they fall in. Like: I have tried most of the poplular hp’s, many of them side-by-side on a variety of high level ancillary equipment and have also attended many live concerts so I have a very good idea of what real music sounds like so you might want to attach some value to this review. Or, I have never actually heard these phones but think I know what I’m talking about. Or, I am a picky whiner and will never like anything so ignore me ‘cause you will never hear any of minor nuances which I consider earth-shattering. Or, I only like model xyz so I will rag on even the finest set of phones if they don’t sound like xyz. Of course I’m kidding, but this is a wish list.
3)A Flowchart of Equipment- Like: if you listen to 128kbps mp3 files, then follow this arrow and don’t waste your time on any headphones that cost any more than these. Do you have or plan to get an amplifier in the future? If yes, look at these phones, if no, look here or at least pay attention to the ohms rating of your choices. Is your amplifier portable? Bypass the balanced amplifier section. Blah, blah, blah.
4)A CD database- of Do not be fooled by the word ‘remastered’ on the following cd’s. They have been brick-walled, compressed and otherwise re-plastered to the point of worthlessness. These cd's are generally considered to be of better than average quality.

Hey, I can wish can’t I?

Apr 3, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 9
1) Wikipedia solves up to 99% of this problem.
2) Up to 80% of people here do this up to 80% of the time. Several reviews that I have read are about so.
3) Eventually.
4) Ignorance is bliss for some folks.

Apr 3, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 9
I think that they're all pretty interesting ideas, but I don't know how one could implement them (especially the flowchart, no one would ever agree...).

Apr 3, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 9
Hop to it!
smily_headphones1.gif

3602 is back, except hes not wiping his face
eek.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #8 of 9
X2 on the glossary. I think it would be very helpful for everyone, not just newbs. I still dont know the difference between tube amps, or understand stats vs dynamic headphones.A glossary in each forum would help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back