Head-Fi Folding@Home: Join the team!
Jul 9, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #17 of 384
Added my XP1400+ laptop to the folding project... It'll run 24/7 at work.
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #18 of 384
Currently have my XP-M 2600+ @ 1.8 Ghz and my XP 1700+ @ 2400+ folding for Head-Fi, though only the XP-M stays on at night when I'm sleeping due to noise issues...too bad foobar2k takes away ~20% of the CPU cycles
frown.gif

Jul 9, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #19 of 384
Thanks to all those that have joined. As of this posting we have 3610 points and 13 members have contributed work units and about half those that have contributed work units are using (or will be using) multiple computers to fold for Team Head-Fi
biggrin.gif

And I ordered a new PSU, and once it gets here I should be able to leave my computer on 24/7. I've lowered the noise level a bit on the thing so it isn't as bothersome (although it is still a bit loud) and a new PSU will help the stability a bit. I might even be able to take it back up to 2.15GHz again.

Jul 9, 2004 at 8:35 AM Post #20 of 384
Looking at the results, ayt999 is a HOUSE, he is folding with amazing power.

Thanks to everyone who has recently joined team Head-FI.

Jul 9, 2004 at 9:20 AM Post #21 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI
Looking at the results, ayt999 is a HOUSE, he is folding with amazing power.

like I said, I am putting a dual xeon towards the Head-Fi team for now.
biggrin.gif
if I put all my computers onto FAH I think I can manage around 2500 to 3000 points per week... but I have other projects I'm working on so that one computer will have to do.

compared to my other team, 2CPU, that is nothing though since many on there have multiple duallies (just like me), or are admins of huge computer networks (like the world's top folder, OC-AMD, who is on our team... his only competition is the anonymous account that is the default for any client that is run without a user-inputed username), or whatever other reason there is that allows them to fold in much exess of what I am doing.

Jul 9, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #22 of 384
Since I had ~60MB of stuff downloading last night, I ran F@H on both our systems (my main one gets internet through our network). They're both identical in regards to CPU and mobo. Got a few more WU's done. However, I checked the CPU temp on this one (the secondary one) today, and it's at 66C! (150F) WAAAY too hot. I case modded the other one; cut out the fan grille, and added a 120mm blowhole to the top. Methinks it's time for this one as well. That's a bit too hot for my tastes.

To top it off, Windows has (yet again) crashed on the other one. After I don't know how many fresh installs. I think this is the 5th time in a few weeks. I have no idea why; it's XP. Linux runs perfectly. I swear, when I get to my friend's with broadband, I'm dumping Windows and running Gentoo with WineX.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Jul 9, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #23 of 384
My main work machine will now run at night and on weekends, and maybe I'll be able to add some of the lab machines, but we'll see...

Jul 9, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #24 of 384
I've only got my work machine (p4 2.8ghz) and one home machine (p4 3.4ghz) going so far. I should have enough time this weekend to get my other two machines at home folding away.

Jul 10, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #25 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
However, I checked the CPU temp on this one (the secondary one) today, and it's at 66C! (150F) WAAAY too hot.

the folding@home client, especially when running gromac cores, is a demanding program and will make the CPU run very hot. I haven't run it in a while and checked temperatures versus the other DC applications I run, but if I recall correctly it is one that makes the CPU temperature increase to one of the highest levels I have seen. a good PC stability program for sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #26 of 384
Yeah, it's keeping the CPU at a constant 100%. This one, with the gh3tt0 m0ds, (heh...) is running around 50C. I really need to mod the other computer one of these days...

(-:Stephonovich:)

Jul 10, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #27 of 384
Few questions--I want to run the screen saver version, but I accidentally passed configuration, and cannot find settings to change my team and username. How?

Jul 10, 2004 at 7:29 AM Post #28 of 384
My fun computer is not holding up too well to nonstop folding. Even though MBM tells me the CPU is holding steady at 54 Celcius, it is prone to random rebooting.

I have always left it on 24/7, but it was mostly idling, or downloading/uploading something. Nothing stressful to the CPU.

Well, either way, it get's at least 20 hours in at a time, until I have to log back in and restart everything.

But my workstation is going like a champ. Then again, I overbuilt that sucker and it helps that it is based on the Intel 875 mobo.

I think I will even break out the pathetic 1.4 GHz Pentium IIIm Laptop to fold too.

Since my server lacks onboard thermal diodes, I don't want to risk that one for nonstop folding, even though a 1.3GHz Pentium M (Banias) would fold quite nicely.

-Ed

Jul 10, 2004 at 7:50 AM Post #29 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Few questions--I want to run the screen saver version, but I accidentally passed configuration, and cannot find settings to change my team and username. How?

I`m not familiar with the screensaver version, if i was in your position i would just reinstall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back