Head-Fi Folding@Home: Join the team!
Jul 12, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #62 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
I have a p4 2.8g and I can easily hook up a new laptop for our team to, should i put in a new name or the same?

use the same username and team # (of course, we don't want you folding for anyone other than Head-Fi.
biggrin.gif
) so you won't have many accounts credited to you and the hassle of managing them all. the only case where the installation is not going to be the same for all clients you install will be when there are more than one client running on a single computer in which case you have to assign each one a separate processor ID number but otherwise everything else is the same.

Jul 12, 2004 at 11:13 PM Post #65 of 384
Keep in mind that most laptops are not designed to have 100% CPU usage all the time. Make sure that the bottom of the laptop case has plenty of clearance. I usually keep mine propped up. Blowing a fan over the laptop helps too. Just find out how hot it gets, then take additional steps to cool it further if necessary.

-Ed

Jul 12, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #66 of 384
Bah, damn the av-710 setup, restarted my computer and reset my WU that I was about 95% complete on that it took way too many hours to do...

ah well back to cranking...

Jul 12, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #68 of 384
I'll probably be losing my current standing (#3) within the next few hours...Just gave my backup computer (1700+ @ 2400+) to my sister (she probably won't be keeping it on as much as I did), and will be torture-testing my main rig with Prime95
frown.gif

Jul 13, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #70 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by petery83
....will be torture-testing my main rig with Prime95
frown.gif

people have found the FAH client, especially with gromacs and double-gromacs, to be a much more torturous test. at least they have noticed a higher CPU temperature and usually that corresponds to a more intensive use of the CPU.
smily_headphones1.gif

so... stop torture testiing with Prime 95 and use a distributed computing application instead.
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #71 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by petery83
I had my processor downclocked because of Head-Fi so I could enjoy my music with less fan noise, and now I'm finding myself overclocking it again because of Head-Fi so I can fold faster!
rolleyes.gif

welcome to DC addiction.
biggrin.gif

also, this is one of the reasons of getting a nice closed can such as the MDR-R10.
biggrin.gif
isolation is key.

Jul 13, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #72 of 384
Folding basically gives me a reason to splurge and build a watercooling setup on my system, can't be all that bad
biggrin.gif

long live hot running amd's
tongue.gif

Jul 13, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #74 of 384
I think I joined.... Not much processing power here though..
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #75 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinchy
I think I joined....

that may be a good thing. tell us when you know for sure if you did or not.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back