Head-Fi FAQ... Who Wants One?
Jul 17, 2003 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All...

It seems that we just agree to disagree on this site regarding the FAQ... no matter what way the various FAQ volunteers look at things, the opinion of the masses is that its not quite right...

I'm hesitant to re-commence the FAQ that I have been formulating on Word... Just because it'll probably get shot down...

Now... A poll...

If you are uninterested in an FAQ... you think it will eat bandwidth or whatever, then please obviously vote NO, but please only reply to the thread with constructive criticism (all blatantly negative / inflaminitary posts will be deleted)

For those of you that ARE interested... again, please (obviously
wink.gif
) vote YES... and then if possible, explain the format that would be most suitable to yourself if you was the reader... what you'd want in, and what you wouldn't...

BLATANT FLAMES WILL BE DELETED!!

I hope that this will then clarify the need, or lack of - of an FAQ, and what is wanted
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Duncan

Jul 17, 2003 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 23
I'm all for it.

Let's keep it basic. Say one that just covers the basics that we can all agree on and that are common questions. Like "Why does a headphone amp make things sound better?" Or "In reviews, what does bright mean?" That sort of thing.

Jul 17, 2003 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 23
To continue to beat the hell out of a dead horse...

I firmly believe that an FAQ is necessary to help point those looking to buy headphones in the right direction. It wasnt that long ago that I asked for $100 closed cans, etc...

threads asking for the best $___ headphone appear almost daily, and so I really think we need to have an FAQ which can help headfiers find some phones which might suit their needs. I really think that is the first priority we need to solve, as well as a glossary, defining those common headfi jargon such as "closed," "open," "impedance," headamp," etc...

Duncan, I really dont want the FAQ to die, and if people don't want my suggestions to be part of it, please delete what I've done. Hopefully this community can piece something together to help out the newbies of tomorrow.

Jul 17, 2003 at 11:40 AM Post #4 of 23
I think the FAQ should not make recommandation Here my idea for reccomandation Suggestion for Recommanded headphone FAQ

I think the FAQ should cover what closed, open, impedence, bright,clipping,vield or any relevent simple question. Like Why do I need an amp? Do I realy Need closed headphones? What about noice cancellation any good?Wireless? Are you crasy 300$ for an 1990 pdcp? Why the newer pdcp sound like crap?

Jul 17, 2003 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 23
we just need to make a desicion so all those polls and sother sticky stuff can come down, or be made into one good one.

Jul 17, 2003 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 23
Yes, please. I'm tired of burn in or not burn in threads, best cans below 25, 50, 100, 200 or 500 dollars, amp or not amp neccesary, and etc, etc, etc.

Jul 17, 2003 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 23
If you look back over the last year and a half several questions as stated above are asked over and over again. Exactly what FAQ address! The one word of advise is that they cannot be posted and remain untouched. The data will become dated and useless if someone does not take the initiative to update it periodically.

Jul 17, 2003 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 23
I vote yes... as long as the first thing newbies read in it is a frickin' search function tutorial.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 17, 2003 at 2:28 PM Post #9 of 23
Wiki Wiki Wikiwiki, Wiki Wikiwikiwikiwiki Wiki Wik?

Thought about it yet?
-voted yes

Jul 17, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 23
I think that an informative, concise, and easy-on-newbie FAQ will save, rather than waste, bandwidth.

On the other hand, Duncan is a waste of bandwidth with far more posts to his user account than is justified by actual new and/or useful information.
tongue.gif

Jul 17, 2003 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 23
Ouch Dan...

...Thats harsh!
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2003 at 7:51 PM Post #13 of 23
While I'm eager to use the "Use the search function!!" link as a FAQ, I think a FAQ is needed simply as a good way to introduce the people to the community - as well as help find them their answers --> results: maybe more interesting discussions?

One point I think the FAQ should do is incorporate existing threads/arguments regarding whatever it's talking about. That way newbies will be able to see that these "recommendations" the FAQ is offering are not set in stone - and there are differing view regarding these amps/headphones/so forth.

This way we can have a FAQ that *sorta* makes recommendations, but at the same time doesn't.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2003 at 8:03 PM Post #14 of 23
I think we should do this modularly. Lets get people together and do a basic one that covers stuff we can all agree on. You know, a glossary etc. No recommendations.

Then, after everyone can see that the FAQ works, we can move on to recommendations and other frequent Newbie questions. Since the FAQ team will already have been formed and will be working well together, it will be easier to move into more controversial territory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back