Head-fi Austin 2013 Impressions
Mar 10, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #196 of 208
Great!

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #197 of 208
Quote:
Zep was what I listened to on Justin's BHSE. So excited for the (rumored) LP reissues this year.

People scoff at Come Away With Me like it's friggin' Ms.Krall. Screw that. I love that record, audiophile grade or not. Then again, I do have the 200g Analogue Productions cut. :)

The Austinites always show up with some Tool (I had Undertow in my box of records). I think that one might be fairly unique. Shame Alex always brings friggin' 10,000 Days. Great record, but their worst production wise.

AGREED. Love the album, but the production quality really is terrible. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #199 of 208
Quote:
It sounds very good on CD. The music is extraordinary.

That's what I like with LedZep, Page remastering is audiophile quality.

The price of LedZep vinyls reissue are sky rocketing high nowadays. Grab it while it last.

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #201 of 208
Quote:
Zep vinyl...I wouldn't be surprised if we see a vinyl box this year.

That's what I'm waiting for, I hope the price is fair enough for me to afford it. Those 200g LP from Classic Records are sooooo expensive!

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #203 of 208
Hopefully you had some time to get out during SXSW to see some live music.  Auditorium shores had the Flaming Lips last night and Robert Randolph tonight.
Saw / heard the James Hunter Six for the first time.  Nice Brit Soul n Blues.  It was cool to hear the small venues, like an alley between two stores and the large outdoor mega stages right after another.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #204 of 208
As the SxSW stage manager at the Continental Club for our four day run, I saw and heard some great music--as we do each year.  This year the music was provided in part by the Deadstring Brothers, Lydia Loveless, Waco Brothers, Robyn Hitchcock, The Relatives, Whiskey Sisters, Jason D. Williams, Carolyn Wonderland, Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band, The Wagoneers, The Split Squad, Ian Moore and Bobby Bare, Jr.  We were also supposed to have Eric Burdon, but his band had to fly out of town before his scheduled Saturday night performance.  The Club also has (continuing today) a great set of unofficial day shows.

Also at the Convention Center late in the week and open to the public were the folks from Audeze.  They had the 2 & 3 available for listening and a stack of vinyl to feed them through a Bryston  BHA-1 (balanced) and a tube or hybrid amp (unbalanced).  The folks there were very nice and I gathered very happy to speak to those of us who knew their cans before walking up to the booth.  I mentioned that we would have loved to have had them for our meet at the beginning of the month.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #205 of 208
I wanted to see a bunch of shows this SXSW but got stuck working during all of them. Oh well, I guess I'll do it right next year. I saw a few smaller acts but all the bands I wanted to see played noon to 6pm shows. I guess they assumed metalheads don't have day jobs :p

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #206 of 208
Quote:
As the SxSW stage manager at the Continental Club for our four day run, I saw and heard some great music--as we do each year.

Cool, you get to hear some great jams while doing your thing.  Sounds great.  I've always liked the Continental Club.  Classic honky tonk, good ceiling height, raised stage, nice sound.  With all the tunes that place has had over the years, I would think the room is harmonicly treated, like an old well played instrument.  Do you have any cans that you relate that honky tonk saloon sound to?  (I'm thinking Senn 558)  The Audeze crew were hanging at Barbarellas on 7th.  We ran in to them while cruizin the town.  I asked what they were doing here at SXSW.  The reply was "the music, it's part of who we are and what we do."  I never knew they made speakers before headphones.  They probably sound really good.  I plan to get some of their headphones one day.  For me, it was a treat to learn they are in business for the right reasons - "the music".

Bobby Bare, Jr.'s music was fun.  I've always been a fan of Carolyn Wonderland, we are lucky to be able to see her around town.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #207 of 208
Quote:
Quote:
As the SxSW stage manager at the Continental Club for our four day run, I saw and heard some great music--as we do each year.

Cool, you get to hear some great jams while doing your thing.  Sounds great.  I've always liked the Continental Club.  Classic honky tonk, good ceiling height, raised stage, nice sound.  With all the tunes that place has had over the years, I would think the room is harmonicly treated, like an old well played instrument.  Do you have any cans that you relate that honky tonk saloon sound to?  (I'm thinking Senn 558)  The Audeze crew were hanging at Barbarellas on 7th.  We ran in to them while cruizin the town.  I asked what they were doing here at SXSW.  The reply was "the music, it's part of who we are and what we do."  I never knew they made speakers before headphones.  They probably sound really good.  I plan to get some of their headphones one day.  For me, it was a treat to learn they are in business for the right reasons - "the music".

Bobby Bare, Jr.'s music was fun.  I've always been a fan of Carolyn Wonderland, we are lucky to be able to see her around town.

Glad you enjoyed some of the craziness and fun that is SxSW.

I have trouble translating a small club house sound and mix to any can.  They are just very different to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back