Head-fi Austin 2013 Impressions
Mar 4, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #106 of 208
Many thanks to Pabbi1 for sending me out some components to help build a CTH, and not even accepting shipping! :wink:

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #107 of 208
Wow, what a nice gift for you, Mark.

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #108 of 208
Wow, what a nice gift for you, Mark.
I know, he was also great to talk to during the meet, as he came pretty early, so I got to have a decent sized conversation with him... his HE60s were great, but I only audited them briefly. :frowning2:

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #109 of 208
Mar 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #110 of 208
Chris,

Your notes were an interesting read. Closed headphones typically have more bass. For transportability reasons, this has been my focus. Not bass. Every closed headphone you tried had too much bass for you. I think you just prefer the sound signature of open cans. The Sig Pro and TH900 are considered to be the best closed cans around. Not for you. The Sig Pro and TH900 are compared favorably to the D7000 and the Edition 8 and 9, and even the LCD3. Many people would think your preference in treble to be too bright and unnatural. The Sig Pros are definitely not rolled off for many. It's just definitely not bright like all the open cans you like, which still, many others think are way too bright. 

It's all personal preference. TH900 an ultra-refined Beats? 
tongue.gif
 Isn't than an oxymoron? Is it just that they have more bass than they're used to? 

I enjoyed your perspective, and I can't thank you enough for all your hard work. I regret not bringing out my personal favorites for you to try, which could have been game changers. The Final Audio FI-BA-SS, and the vintage horn-sounding Piano Forte IX. The FI-BA-SS is the closest thing I've heard in transparency and detail to the 009. Makes my TH900 sound colored and congested. The Piano Forte is severely "rolled-off," but possibly the most emotionally engaging head/earphone I have ever heard. They taught me that measurements and accuracy are decidedly not everything.  

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #111 of 208
So, Chris, you've been to statsville and you're done with that?

Hm.. sort of. I'm done with known entities. I'm interested in trying out the King Sound stats when they become available. If it's too much later I might have to pass as I will need funds available to bring in the Schiit statement pair to compare with my own.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #112 of 208
I really think you just need end up with one of those adorable 'desk racks' for your X-Sabre and GS-X and be done. 

Quote:
Hm.. sort of. I'm done with known entities. I'm interested in trying out the King Sound stats when they become available. If it's too much later I might have to pass as I will need funds available to bring in the Schiit statement pair to compare with my own.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #113 of 208
Chris,

Your notes were an interesting read. Closed headphones typically have more bass. For transportability reasons, this has been my focus. Not bass. Every closed headphone you tried had too much bass for you. I think you just prefer the sound signature of open cans. The Sig Pro and TH900 are considered to be the best closed cans around. Not for you. The Sig Pro and TH900 are compared favorably to the D7000 and the Edition 8 and 9, and even the LCD3. Many people would think your preference in treble to be too bright and unnatural. The Sig Pros are definitely not rolled off for many. It's just definitely not bright like all the open cans you like, which still, many others think are way too bright. 

It's all personal preference. TH900 an ultra-refined Beats? 
tongue.gif

Isn't than an oxymoron? Is it just that they have more bass than they're used to? 

I enjoyed your perspective, and I can't thank you enough for all your hard work. I regret not bringing out my personal favorites for you to try, which could have been game changers. The Final Audio FI-BA-SS, and the vintage horn-sounding Piano Forte IX. The FI-BA-SS is the closest thing I've heard in transparency and detail to the 009. Makes my TH900 sound colored and congested. The Piano Forte is severely "rolled-off," but possibly the most emotionally engaging head/earphone I have ever heard. They taught me that measurements and accuracy are decidedly not everything.  

Yes, closed cans are generally my enemy. Only ones I've sort of liked well enough to even think about owning are Beyer T5P, TH900 prototype, and now the K550 that I heard this time. I didn't realize you had some Final Audio on you, I've always been curious about them since I follow Muppetface's diary thread and she is a big fan of FA gear. Next time, I suppose.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #114 of 208
I really think you just need end up with one of those adorable 'desk racks' for your X-Sabre and GS-X and be done. 

That rack was awesome, haha. At home I don't have the Rotel connected so it's just the amp and DAC so I just stack them and they are able to stay out of the way.

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #115 of 208
Quote:
 I didn't realize you had some Final Audio on you, I've always been curious about them since I follow Muppetface's diary thread and she is a big fan of FA gear. Next time, I suppose.

With it being my first meet, I didn't feel up to putting out several pair of $1,300 IEMs out on the table. I had mentioned in the meet thread that if you didn't see them to ask for them. I should have made a sign or mentioned it. Sorry about that. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #117 of 208
Quote:

With it being my first meet, I didn't feel up to putting out several pair of $1,300 IEMs out on the table. I had mentioned in the meet thread that if you didn't see them to ask for them. I should have made a sign or mentioned it. Sorry about that. 

Sorry I couldn't meet up for a demo later... but I am intrigued by these unusual beasties. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #119 of 208
Looks like I missed another great Texas meet.  I knew from when dates were just being thrown out there that I'd have no chance to make it, but I'm going to catch one one of these years.  It's more important than ever to go to these meets these days with all the new products beings brought to market.  Especially DACs, they seem to get better and cheaper each successive month.

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #120 of 208
Quote:
Looks like I missed another great Texas meet.  I knew from when dates were just being thrown out there that I'd have no chance to make it, but I'm going to catch one one of these years.  It's more important than ever to go to these meets these days with all the new products beings brought to market.  Especially DACs, they seem to get better and cheaper each successive month.

Next Dallas meet will be at my place in another couple of months. Concero and X-Sabre DAC's will be here along with some others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back