Head-fi Austin 2013 Impressions
Mar 3, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #31 of 208
Quote:
What were people's general impressions of the LL2 compared to the BHSE? It seems some people did like the LL2 more.

I intentionally left out my notes about the BHSE because it was sourced by an Oppo and was feeding the 007 MK1 and it thought it was kind of pointless to compare the two amps when the headphones and source was difference.  I didn't see if anyone tried the 009s on the BHSE, and if they did, I would have got in line :)

When I did listen to the 007 BHSE, it was out of the PICO/Ipad.  I wrote:

High notes too sharp.  Just listened to Norah Jones on an LCD2 and the vocals are much nicer.  Everything sounds too closed in here.  There are no layers.  Switch to Pink Floyd Young Lust.  Bass is anemic.  Missing texture on the bass guitar.  No strum bite, it's just a note.  Percussion sounds nice though.  Switch to tears in heaven, and the guitar is excellent.  This track is suited toward the 007s, I like this.  Switch to Brick is Red.  A lot going on in this track and the 007s are fast enough, but still layers sound closed in.  Bass is muffled.  

Preferred the 009 and LL2 here, but given my limited experience with both stax rigs I don't know enough about the 007s vs the 009s to say what is affecting the sound.

This post really wasn't helpful, but I don't think we had the right variables involved to A/B the two amps.

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #32 of 208
Didn't get to do a direct comparison (meet condition would mess it up anyway), but I can say that they're both built really well and sound great!

Quote:
What were people's general impressions of the LL2 compared to the BHSE? It seems some people did like the LL2 more.

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #33 of 208
Both amps were hooked up to an Oppo at one point.

Quote:

I intentionally left out my notes about the BHSE because it was sourced by an Oppo and was feeding the 007 MK1 and it thought it was kind of pointless to compare the two amps when the headphones and source was difference.  I didn't see if anyone tried the 009s on the BHSE, and if they did, I would have got in line :)

When I did listen to the 007 BHSE, it was out of the PICO/Ipad.  I wrote:

High notes too sharp.  Just listened to Norah Jones on an LCD2 and the vocals are much nicer.  Everything sounds too closed in here.  There are no layers.  Switch to Pink Floyd Young Lust.  Bass is anemic.  Missing texture on the bass guitar.  No strum bite, it's just a note.  Percussion sounds nice though.  Switch to tears in heaven, and the guitar is excellent.  This track is suited toward the 007s, I like this.  Switch to Brick is Red.  A lot going on in this track and the 007s are fast enough, but still layers sound closed in.  Bass is muffled.  

Preferred the 009 and LL2 here, but given my limited experience with both stax rigs I don't know enough about the 007s vs the 009s to say what is affecting the sound.

This post really wasn't helpful, but I don't think we had the right variables involved to A/B the two amps.

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #35 of 208
It would have been really hard to make a true A/B comparison since the LL2 was being run off of PWD and Ayon CD-1 into the SR-009's all day with $6,000 Jena Labs interconnects and the BHSE was running off of an Oppo SACD player (using cd's) into the SR-007 mk1 headphones.

Yes, the LL2 rig sounded better but I could hear the influence of the source and the headphones.  What I learned most from trying the two rigs out is that I won't be buying the Oppo (at least not to run CD's) and I really prefer the 009 to the 007's.  Both of the amps were stellar but I'd have to take some other variables out of the equation before I could answer which I liked best.
Quote:

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #36 of 208
Nick, did you mean the S7 rather than E7? Just making sure I understand the comparison.

Thanks!

The Eddie Current amp. E7? S7? Don't remember the model #... long day. :p

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #37 of 208
Random observation: When it came to music selections... no matter how heavily one leaned toward electronica or classical or indie rock or jazz... I nearly always found some ZEPPELIN in there.

Zep. Probably the most enduring, multigenerational, genre-spanning rock band of them all. At least according to Head-Fi!

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #38 of 208
Quote:
Random observation: When it came to music selections... no matter how heavily one leaned toward electronica or classical or indie rock or jazz... I nearly always found some ZEPPELIN in there.

Zep. Probably the most enduring, multigenerational, genre-spanning rock band of them all.

True true.  Also in everyone's collection: Norah Jones (Those sweet female vocals), Tool (gotta try and trip up the drivers), and Pink Floyd (Everyone has PF ingrained into their brains).  

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #39 of 208
Zep was what I listened to on Justin's BHSE. So excited for the (rumored) LP reissues this year.

Quote:

Zep. Probably the most enduring, multigenerational, genre-spanning rock band of them all. At least according to Head-Fi!

People scoff at Come Away With Me like it's friggin' Ms.Krall. Screw that. I love that record, audiophile grade or not. Then again, I do have the 200g Analogue Productions cut. :)

The Austinites always show up with some Tool (I had Undertow in my box of records). I think that one might be fairly unique. Shame Alex always brings friggin' 10,000 Days. Great record, but their worst production wise.

Quote:

True true.  Also in everyone's collection: Norah Jones (Those sweet female vocals), Tool (gotta try and trip up the drivers), and Pink Floyd (Everyone has PF ingrained into their brains).  

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #42 of 208
Just got home about an hour ago, unpacked and re-setup. I'm tired!! Full impressions later...

Nice collection of gear at this meet - looks like fun. Interesting to hear some validation on the quality of the Resonessence Concero and Matrix X-Sabre units. 

Yes the sound of both units was pretty close. Think both Nick and I would give the nod to the X-Sabre on sound alone, but what primarily sets them apart in price is features. Balanced vs no-balanced, DSD/DXD native vs none, and one extra input. He left satisfied with the Concero since he doesn't need balanced and has no DSD/DXD files or want to get them (I think). I left satisfied with the X-Sabre because I do need balanced and I've been having fun playing around with the DSD/DXD stuff.

I think the Concero is one of the best values out there right now. The X-Sabre in comparison is not quite as good of a financial deal, but is a solid unit for the price. I preferred it over the other DACs at the meet. I was surprised that I didn't like the PWD as much as I thought I would. Good, but has issues.

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #43 of 208
I never got to test the Concero, but will be sure to next meet, really interested. It would be great for my LCD2.2 rig when I get the money. :wink:

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #44 of 208
Oh, and something I forgot in my impressions. 

I found the Mad Dogs extremely underwhelming. They're just not nearly as good as LFF's Paradox. 

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #45 of 208
Agreed with Morbid & Max... I guess the current lineup of PS Audio DAC's just don't do the right things for me. Though they are quite popular with other folks. As always, YMMV.

I don't wanna know about DSD/DXD! (yet) *lalalalalala*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back