Head fi and OCD
Jan 5, 2006 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

fearless

100+ Head-Fier
Recently I've been studying Obsessive Compulsive Dissorder (OCD) and was wondering if many people on here had it. It would make sense that many people on an audiophile forum constantly seeking out a more perfect sound, etc.

I don't mean to trivialize this as I'm sure it would not be an easy thing to have and deal with on a day to day basis. I was just wondering because it seems as if the site lends to the compulsive nature of some of the members. (certainly not blaming head fi itself as that would be akin to blaming the devil for ones actions
evil_smiley.gif
)

Jan 5, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 47
It might seem like I would be a good candidate, what with the obsessive post count and continuous cursed upgrades - but apparently I'm actually a mentally healthy fellow when I step away from head-fi!

Jan 5, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 47
I'm not sure about OCD...but bankruptcy? Oh yeah...

Jan 5, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 47
I don't know if I'd have an actual disorder, but I tend to be obsessive in most things that take my fancy...

As an example, a buddy of mine back home (england) and I decided we would try golf. So one day we went to the driving range and borrowed a 7 iron to hit a few balls. It was great, I hit a bunch of balls what seemed like miles. So the following weekend, we were going to go shopping for a half set of clubs and go to the local municipal course to play 9 holes.

By the time sunday came around (5 days later...) I had a couple of instructional videos, 3 or 4 books about improving one's swing, a pair of golfing shoes, a FULL set of clubs, a golfing trolley and a very nice golf glove.... oh and dreams of turning 'pro within the next couple of years. That's pretty typical behavior for me...

Jan 5, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 47
Head-fi may be an obsession but I don't think it is a mental disorder in the sense OCD is (included are MMORPGs, and other things). I think the difference is, if we are away from high-end audio, it is an annoyance; for someone with OCD, it is a discomfort, so it's not really the same as OCD (in most cases I presume).

As a joke, this guy tried to give himself OCD: http://www.zug.com/pranks/ocd/

Jan 5, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 47
My roomate plays World of Warcraft at least as much as he sleeps, if not more. I find that to be quite compulsive but I don't think he has OCD. I would be quite surprised if someone dosen't post that has it, but I guess we'll see.

Very interesting posts, keep 'em comming.

Jan 5, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
It might seem like I would be a good candidate, what with the obsessive post count and continuous cursed upgrades - but apparently I'm actually a mentally healthy fellow when I step away from head-fi!

But you seem to be always here
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 47
I have Tourette Syndrome which is related to OCD, and I have some OCD-like symtpoms. I have to load the dishwasher in a particular way or I start to feel extremely anxious (near panic attack anxious). Technically speaking, I don't think being "obsessed" with getting better and better sound meets the qualifications for OCD. Obsessively adjusting the dishes for 30 minutes does. Typically for behaviours to be considered a disorder, the behaviour has to cause the individual some form of impairment or discomfort.

I'm also bi-polar though, which is more of a problem when you have a particularly expensive hobby like this. I cannot be trusted with credit cards. My girlfriend has my credit cards (trust me, safer with her than me)- and before her, my best friend had them.

Jan 5, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #11 of 47
Does it have to be audio related?

me -

If I see a scrap of paper or something on an otherwise debris-free floor, I must pick it up. Else, I think about it and it drives me nuts.

If I hear or read a word somewhere which I cannot define, I must go to dictionary.com or grab my Random House. I've been driven out of a warm bed many times due to this. Once again, I would be driven nuts.

Then there's this weird thing where I notice my breathing while using IEMs...

I understand that some may even have the quality of becoming obsessed with the very OCDs that others mention, so I apologize in advance!
tongue.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I'm not sure about OCD...but bankruptcy? Oh yeah...

Yup... I'm on my way bankruptcy land
biggrin.gif
and a HR-2, Hornet, and Arcam CD 73T are on their way to me.

On a serious note, what are some of the signs? Like Jahn said, when I step away from here, I'm OK.

Jan 6, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by fearless
Recently I've been studying Obsessive Compulsive Dissorder (OCD) and was wondering if many people on here had it. It would make sense that many people on an audiophile forum constantly seeking out a more perfect sound, etc.

I don't think that theory really makes sense at all. OCD is ritualistic and repetitive. Different thing entirely.

I think you're confusing unhealthy obsession with OCD: )

Jan 6, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #14 of 47
Clutz: Neat. I have Tourrettes as well. I've had it for sixteen years....

Yes, there are plenty of symptoms related to OCD. It just about destroyed my social life until high school - it's a terrible thing to experience because absolutely NOBODY understands why people that suffer from Tourrettes HAVE to do what they do, that they have no control over themselves. I don't have too many tics anymore, but the ones that were common back in the 'bad' days were weezing, and uttering high-pitched 'squeals' almost... my handwriting also suffers from an OCD-like symptom where you just can't control your hand in the way that you want to (though I'm a drummer and I have absolutely no problems with that).

Unlike what most people think, Tourrettes Syndrome is most closely associated to OCD, instead of the whole 'swearing for no reason' thing that the idiotic population believes in. I have never in my life had a rage/cursing control problem, and even if I did, it wouldn't be related to Tourrettes, most likely, in my case. Then again, my case is mild...

Anyway, does this have anything to do with Head-Fi? Probably not. I'm a little anal about cleaning/storing my music and equipment, but I am not the kind of person that has to clean up after himself or buy the same things more than once and stuff like that.

And on that note: Just about everybody has a CASE of OCD in some minute form or another. People that have a more severe case of OCD usually suffer from another disease/syndrome that hightens that mindset or problem in the brain.

Jan 6, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Unlike what most people think, Tourrettes Syndrome is most closely associated to OCD, instead of the whole 'swearing for no reason' thing that the idiotic population believes in.

Maybe they're just ignorant or uninformed rather than idiotic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back