Head-Fi 2012 Christmas Gift Exchange Whadjaget? Thread
Dec 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #76 of 91
I really enjoy the Head-fi CD swap.  It was fun trying to figure out what metalsonata would like based on his previous comments about music and his listed preferences.  For his part he reintroduced me to an 80's favorite who transitioned into one of the early post rock bands.  I had no idea that Talk Talk matured that far from new wave pop but they are fantastic.  From wikipedia:
Quote:
In their later years the band's commercial appeal receded, but their critical reputation increased as they moved from synthpop to a more experimental form. Their final two albums, Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock, were highly acclaimed and remain influential to experimental alternative rock genres, especially post-rock.[1]

I also received Heligoland from Massive Attack which I am really enjoying listening to.  Both of these albums are great headphone fodder.  It's an interesting coincidence that one of the members of Talk Talk later recorded under the name Heligoland.  Coincidence?  Only metalsonata knows.  Thanks.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #77 of 91
Lol. Glad you're enjoying them. ^^

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #78 of 91
Picked up my gift from Kepler28nm

61SgDYAaIZL._AA1297_.jpg

Thank you so much man! Will be watching it on the weekend 
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #79 of 91
Partner was LeeMark.......

I have only heard a couple cuts but likewhat I hear....can't wait to give it a quiet listen....Merry Christmas all!

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #80 of 91
Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Like Bad News (we actually both sent this album, kinda funny)

Gorillaz - Self-titled (already had this one in my library, but that's okay. It's my favorite Gorillaz album, don't mind having it physically)

Busdriver - Beaus $ Eros (already had this one physically, what can I say.. I'm hard to buy for. Always have been :p)

He did good though :)

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #82 of 91
Here's what I got from Sorrodje :

there's a cd and an interesting kind of frisbee in a vinyl shape
biggrin.gif

It is a compilation of punk bands from our country (France) and it rocks hard !

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #84 of 91
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a509/ipbea/722AEEB9-435F-4C5D-9C58-701D0592CCE1-8705-00000588D93F83D6_zpseeb30b24.jpg http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a509/ipbea/4F1642AE-FE6C-4B7A-9FA9-1B13AB1727B4-8705-000005884E9E07AE_zps32734bc2.jpg

My gift from haquocdung. I told him to surprise me with a cd--and he did. The PianoGuys takes hit songs & put their own piano magic to them. Also, the phones are great because I like the size, deep red color, swivel design and they are super light. The sound is very clear overall. I can see me choosing to use these on the go. haquocdung can pick my gift anytime! Lol! Thx

bhighmanic

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #85 of 91
Just got my Third CD from DanTGG. Flashback! 1970's Latino Acid Rock. I didn't know it existed. Super Cool Sounds. Thanks, Dan!

A lo lejos, hombre!

Quote:
I received 2 or 3 CDs from my Gift Exchange partner, DanTGG. He lives in Brazil so I asked him to select some Brazilian jazz artists I've likely never heard before. Dan did a great job with these two and I have another very interesting surprise on the way. I love these albums! Many thanks, my friend!

Left: Maria Rita: ELO
Right: Tribalistas: Their one and only album

Dan describes the albums and performers...

Quote:

Tribalistas was a one time collaboration (sadly, they only made that album) between three very good and successful Brazilian artists: Carlinhos Brown, Arnaldo Antunes and Marisa Monte. They have different styles of music that came together beautifully in that album. They are really worth checking out individually too. I almost sent you Marisa Monte's newest CD "O Que Você Quer Saber de Verdade", but then decided on Tribalistas. What I really like about them (feel free to share your impressions) is how their voices interact with each other. Marisa Monte's voice is more pronounced, Carlinhos Brown kind of "in the middle" and then Arnaldo Antunes with that very weird low register, not to mention the great arrangements and the wonderful lyrics. It all combines beautifully.

Maria Rita is the daughter of Elis Regina (maybe you've heard of her). Elis is considered by many to be the greatest Brazilian singer ever. She enjoyed a brilliant career, until she overdosed in 1982 (Maria Rita was about 5 years old then). Everyone thought Brazil had lost one of its greatest voices forever, until Maria Rita started her career and the resemblance between her voice and her mother's voice was immediately noticed. Despite the similarity between her and Elis, she is a very good artist on her own, deservedly achieving a successful career. I included her because she is a good representation of (good) modern Brazilian music, with strong roots of Samba and MPB.

I'm really glad that you liked the CDs. Let me know when the third one arrives, because I'm really looking forward to seeing if you will like it. It is one of the best CDs of Psychedelic Rock ever made and it is done by a Brazilian band. That CD is a love it or hate it case.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #86 of 91
From Poland with love. 3 excelent albums

9ygyqu4e.jpg

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #87 of 91

Exchange partner: Kamcok.
i usually dont listen to old recordings because of hissing,mono..crackling.... but these are great and well recorded. very enjoyable through my jh13:) thank you mate,hope you enjoyed the cds i sent as well.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #88 of 91
Just realised I hadn't posted here yet.  My partner was fatmaggot (Wes) ....

He got me:

and 

Diana Krall - The Girl In The Other Room, and also Arcade Fire - The Suburbs.

I already had the Diana Krall album in high-res from HDD Tracks - but it's good having a CD back-up.  Had never heard of Arcade Fire before - but finding them very enjoyable.  Many thanks Wes.

FTR - I got Wes Portico Quartet's self titled CD, and also The Flashbulb's 'Reunion' and 'Love As A Dark Hallway' albums

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #89 of 91
My gift only arrived now thanks to the brazilian post office (it was posted december 11th). My partner was bluemonkeyflyer (Keith) and he sent me some awesome DBV #3 T20RP Mk2s. I'm still getting to know them better, but I'm loving them. Now I just need a good amp. I will post my impressions in the Incremental Mods and Measurements thread when I've spent enough time with them.

I don't know why but I couldn't post the images directly so I uploaded them here: http://postimage.org/gallery/2y2ssb98/

They are near some of my CDs and some of my PS3 games. They have a really good soundstage for a closed can, so I'm loving to play using them.

Thanks so much Keith. I'm loving them!

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #90 of 91
Quote:
My gift only arrived now thanks to the brazilian post office (it was posted december 11th). My partner was bluemonkeyflyer (Keith) and he sent me some awesome DBV #3 T20RP Mk2s. I'm still getting to know them better, but I'm loving them. Now I just need a good amp. I will post my impressions in the Incremental Mods and Measurements thread when I've spent enough time with them.

I don't know why but I couldn't post the images directly so I uploaded them here: http://postimage.org/gallery/2y2ssb98/

They are near some of my CDs and some of my PS3 games. They have a really good soundstage for a closed can, so I'm loving to play using them.

Thanks so much Keith. I'm loving them!

Hi Dan,

Whew! Your delivery must have gone around the world a couple of times! Thank you for letting me know you Finally got your Christmas gift. I'm happy to hear you like what you hear from your DBV #3 modded T20RP mk II headphones. I think they sound great with my Dacmini's DAC section (and ODAC, and Schiit Modi) paired with my Project Sunrise II Amp. I look forward to hearing more about your impressions, particularly after you get your DAC and amp. At that point, let me know if you want suggestions for tuning to suit your "gears' and ears."

Your photos are really high quality. I wish I could take photos even half as good.

All the best,

Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back