Head-Direct RE252 review: Prepare to be blown away!
Feb 6, 2010 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

MD1032

Headphoneus Supremus
Fang and Head-Direct have struck again with a fine piece of equipment here. The RE252 is a direct upgrade from and improvement to the RE0. The soft silicone molded piece that goes around the driver actually has a lot to do with the sound…it brings the driver and the sound it produces into contact with your ear and the vibrations substantially improve the bass and fullness of sound.

Equipment: EMU 0404 USB into a Head-Direct EF1
Compared: Grado HF2, Head-Direct RE0

Fit. Let’s get something straight here: If you don’t get the fit right on these earphones, they simply will not sound right. I tried the prototype at the NJ meet over the summer before Fang modified the housing and they absolutely would not fit in my ears. I told him that they sounded good, but I preferred the RE0 because they had more bass. He told me that for him, the RE252 has much more bass and the problem was that the housing was not in contact with my ears and that he would fix the housing so it would be compatible with more shapes of ears. I was suspicious, then I got my sample RE252 in the mail and witnessed the same problem for a while but had a feeling I could get them to fit correctly. I ripped off the double-flange tips and put on the small rubber tips…immediately, I noticed a complete change in the sound. This wasn’t even a seal issue, it was a fit issue. With the earphones really jammed into my ear, the sound is heaps better. I ended up using the medium tips, which still allow the housing to come into contact with the ear but give me a better seal than the smalls.

Sound. I’ll first compare these to the RE0 using some symphonic band works. I don’t really know how else to describe the sound but just completely fixed. The RE0’s only weakness was that it could sound bright at times. These earphones do not have that slight treble spike and the detail at the same time has been improved. Instruments sound very realistic and the positioning of them is far more accurate. The bass is way, way better. I can safely say I’ve never, ever heard better IEM’s in this department and these are the ones to beat. Everything sounds so, so perfect without any odd peaks. The instrumental separation is superb. The soundstage isn’t AD2000 huge, but the positioning is still very accurate and nothing ever gets smudged together. Trombones have some serious balls which indicates excellent midrange. The RE0 by comparison just seems to add more distance between you and the instruments and decrease the detail and fullness of sound. And again, you won’t hear any of the above without an absolutely perfect fit, so get it right.

Now I’ll use some blues like Stevie Ray Vaughan and Buddy Guy (I have amped and unamped records of his). The RE0 does surprisingly well in this genre, but the RE252 just blows them out of the water. The bass is substantially better and way more gratifying. The guitar tone is also improved…much fuller and more realistic in the high end at the same time. The drums have way more impact and the cymbals have a real nice crash and decay without sounding too bright, which is usually difficult. These earphones also have less of a U-shape than my HF-2’s, so the mids are just more prominent and it makes guitar solos really, really gratifying. Overall, I’m floored at how good these earphones are so far. They sound hundreds of dollars better than their asking price. With acoustic guitar, the differences are subtle. Both do an excellent job, frankly, but the RE252 still has the advantage because the sound just seems much smoother and more even. That slight peak in the treble of the RE0 can be problematic on strings that have been plucked hard and it can be harsh. The RE252 not only addresses this issue, it seems to lift a sort of very slight veil on the RE0 I never really noticed that much before that makes the sound much clearer and more realistic.

Now let me try some metal. I ordered a Paul Gilbert CD…why not? Here’s an interesting scenario in which people might prefer one or another. The RE252 has a much more in-your-face sound…like Grados on steroids with kick-butt guitar tone and extremely intimate drums and bass. The RE0’s perceived increase in distance could be an advantage if you preferred a more laid back sound with slightly less bass to highlight more of the high end. The difference is akin to the HD600 pitted against a pair of Grados, but on a micro scale. This test actually made me realize that much more fully.

Conclusion. The RE252 has learned from its predecessor and taken an already great sound and made it far better. The RE252’s ability to resolve a lot of different sounds at one and still be in your face is astounding. Frankly, I don’t know how this IEM is able to pull off such a natural, full-size sound…at times it really does feel like I’m wearing a good pair of full-size cans. Fang’s design of molding soft silicone around the housing to increase the amount of sound that hits your ear is genius and is clearly working wonders that other IEM manufacturers would be wise to copy. I would love to compare these to the Shure SE530 to see how this $200 earphone compares to one that is twice the price…personally, I don’t really hear much that can be improved in the sound of this IEM since once you get the fit right, the sound is really ridiculously good and these IEM’s are just extremely gratifying to listen to. Have I mentioned that the bass is ridiculously good for an IEM? I am digging these earphones, and hope to see more people talking about them soon. I find it ironic to find a thread claiming the RE0 rivals the ER-4P and E500/SE530 when this earphone is clearly much better than the RE0…I bet the reviewer would drop their jaw after hearing these!

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 18
Hmm... this makes me want to get these RE252s real bad... Great review!
icon10.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 18
Glad you are enjoying your RE252, I really like mine. I like you believe these are a major hit for Head Direct. Sent mine on a "tour" to a couple of Head Fiers and I hope they post their impressions.

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 18
nice review! this makes me wanna get them or at least try them out even more as well as the other reviews i saw on this but unfortunately i already spent enough on my most recent purchase.

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 18
This makes me want to pull the trigger on a trade offer I previously had on the table.... But I just bought the RE0 so I think I will just enjoy them first.

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 18
sounds good
I'm hoping for a nice Christmas/Holiday sale
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 18
they already had their sale! it was 99 for like 2 days during black friday :p

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 18
I know, but I'm not 24/7 @ head-fi so I missed it and besides I lacked the cash at that moment. So maybe as a birthday present at the end of the year. Really liking my RE0 for now
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 18
Just curious how do these phones compare when amped?

Ive heard that the 252 does not really benefit much from amping. So does the re0 sounds about as good as the 252 when you bring amps into the picture?

Oh and i hope something will be done about the design in the future. Would definitely like to try them but the fit issues and not being able to be worn over the ears are holding me back

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #11 of 18
I appreciate Fang's enthusiasm to develop a new type of iem but really wish he would release a version without such obvious fit issues. This has got to be holding back allot potential customers. Including myself.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enanthate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I appreciate Fang's enthusiasm to develop a new type of iem but really wish he would release a version without such obvious fit issues. This has got to be holding back allot potential customers. Including myself.

I have some of the weirdest shaped ears that I know of and they fit me without any problems. While they may look normal in the picture, I have very small ears, in fact (Grado bowls are nearly circumaural for me), and they lay flat against my head rather than sticking out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazybum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious how do these phones compare when amped?

Ive heard that the 252 does not really benefit much from amping. So does the re0 sounds about as good as the 252 when you bring amps into the picture?

Oh and i hope something will be done about the design in the future. Would definitely like to try them but the fit issues and not being able to be worn over the ears are holding me back

I'll try these without an amp tomorrow and let you know about the differences.

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently got my RE0's , what are the major differences between the two.

the RE0 is like super HD TV, everything is super crisp, the colours super crisp, super vibrant, just super WOW!!!

the 252 is a window

Users who are viewing this thread

Back