Head-Direct RE-2 Impressions
Jun 1, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$49 including a fiio...I will use this with my Dell mini9 away from home, or with my work computer, reviews all looked good enough for $49!
I eagerly anticipate their arrival!

then I guess you will experience a lot of hiss from your poor soundcard

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomasshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
then I guess you will experience a lot of hiss from your poor soundcard

I don't know about that. I personally don't have much problem with my T60's soundcard; no, the problem comes from the hard drive whine, that does carry through the earphones. Since the Dell Mini9 has a SSD and is fanless, it may actually be a decent sound source. Let us know, thomasshi.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #18 of 33
I write the following with full fire retardent gear on and am prepared to be flamed....I plugged my ATH 700s directly into the dell mini 9 and was truly surpised by the sound quality! Played flac files through winamp and was very impressed....so hopefully the Re-2's will work just fine, the fiio was basically ten bucks in the deal so what the heck!
I am sure it will be fine for my purposes and good price.
I guess there is no way to upgrade sound card in the Dell mini if I ever wanted too? not much room to work under the hood!

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about that. I personally don't have much problem with my T60's soundcard; no, the problem comes from the hard drive whine, that does carry through the earphones. Since the Dell Mini9 has a SSD and is fanless, it may actually be a decent sound source. Let us know, thomasshi.

good for you

all my 4 laptops give me hiss on any sensitive earbuds/IEMs

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #20 of 33
Yep, the microphonics is pretty bad. OP said they're great for classical/baroque, I'll pipe in and say that they're great for rock as well, They're lick a colder mini-Grado.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #21 of 33
How do the RE2s compare with the ATH-CK7s?

Also, is the cable really stiff like the UE Metro-fis? I had a pair of them and the cord was so stiff it could almost cause the them come out of my ears.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomasshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good for you

all my 4 laptops give me hiss on any sensitive earbuds/IEMs

My old Z60t was dead silent with my EP-630s yet my new W500 has plenty of hiss and severely distorted bass without an impedance adapter. Not all laptops are created equal. T60, Z60t and W500 are all Lenovo products of course.

Edit: The negatives of the W500 only apply with my EP-630s, fullsize headphones sound pretty decent directly out of this laptop.

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #23 of 33
@redrich2000; I haven't heard the CK7...but a wild guess would be that they perhaps offer a warmer sound signature...

The cable is stiff. I've had the RE-2 for two weeks now and the cable has only "just" started to soften up due to winding and unwinding of my earphones. Fit has gotten better too and I've stuck with the translucent bi-flanges.

I've done a little more testing with the combo'd FiiO E5...and it doesn't really do much in comparison to the notable volume/bass boost of the E3. The BB of the E5 is heard in some songs, but between "flat" and "bass", there isn't much noticeable difference; for me anyway. This could be placebo effect...but the attack of the mids sound much punchier and with more impact. Take that with a grain of salt though.

As for the sound, I quite enjoy it. It's seemed to get a little warmer through a ~15 hours use. I hope to buy the RE-1 when I get the chance as they seem to offer a "darker" sound...

Jun 26, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #24 of 33
So apparently the RE-2 come with new cable now - cloth type? Any reports on these with the new cable? Less microphonics?

I wonder how this will affect the lifespan. I had the JBL Reference 220 with the cloth cable and they broke inside the covering near the plug after a while (as did the EX-82s with plastic covering that came with the Sony player). It would be nice to find a good earphone that's "pocket friendly" (can withstand being put in and taken out of the front pocket every day).

Also, what's up with the brand change - now it's "Hifiman". Why would they change the brand name after it's gotten some good reviews? It will just confuse people and make them suspicious. I'm getting a little bit of a weird "fell off the truck"/grey market vibe myself now. I was about to pull the trigger on these but now I'll reassess and see what's up with the new version (hopefully the sound will be reported as good as before, because I do like the idea of less microphonics).

Jun 26, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #25 of 33
You probably missed out the Hifiman 801 thread in the portable source forum.

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #26 of 33
Is there any Comply foam tip compatible with this earphones?

Jun 29, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #28 of 33
Compared to MP4 Nation's Beta BRAINWAVZ, which one is the best? RE-2 or Beta?

Jun 29, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #29 of 33
I have a review on the Beta. You will find your answer if you read the last few replies.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tman1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So apparently the RE-2 come with new cable now - cloth type? Any reports on these with the new cable? Less microphonics?

Take this with a grain of salt maybe. I am coming from Sony MDR-EX51LP as my first IEM and the cable split after about a year. So with super glue on the cable after about a month of exercise at the gym I pulled the trigger on the RE2, Fiios E5 combo.

The RE2 microphonics are so bad I am back to using the Sony for workouts.

If I stay still and don't move and have an absolutely close shave, the RE2 are tolerable.

Maybe I'll get used to them, but it will be difficult I think.

Currently contemplating the Westone 3 based on others comments RE: microphonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back