Head Direct EF1 [Review]
Feb 26, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #17 of 29
dwong: The Zero DAC emits a fair bit of heat as well, hence I'm now considering to maybe add rubber feets on the EF1 to create a bigger gap in between. EF1 does really get very hot to touch, and I think the Zero DAC isn't gonna help in that.

----

Anyway, someone swiped my Amperex Bugle Boy from eBay while I'm asleep, damn disadvantage in time-zones.

Looking for cheap alternatives now, such as :
Telefunken 12AU7

Amperex Holland 12AU7

Amperex 12AU7

Referring to this chart:
12au7_guide2.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #19 of 29
My CV4003 Mullard tube [tube code Gf0] has just arrived half an hour ago, and I got surprised at once. Sounds warmer and most notably bass extension, impact and abit more boom. Will require more A-B to have a fair comparison, but sounds good to me currently as I'm somewhat a basshead myself!

Feb 27, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #20 of 29
I just ordered one and would like to know where can I get rubber feets to raise the amp.

Feb 27, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #21 of 29
I've owned my EF1 for about 1 month and I have to concur that it is a great match with the Denon D5000. It sounds superb to my ears. Mine came with a Conn-branded Sylvania tube and does not run hot, merely warm even after hours of listening. It sits on top of a Sony MDS 930 minidisc player/recorder that I use for its DAC only. I plan on getting into this tube rolling thing shortly.

Feb 27, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #22 of 29
Feb 27, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whenesday /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dwong: The Zero DAC emits a fair bit of heat as well, hence I'm now considering to maybe add rubber feets on the EF1 to create a bigger gap in between. EF1 does really get very hot to touch, and I think the Zero DAC isn't gonna help in that.

----

Anyway, someone swiped my Amperex Bugle Boy from eBay while I'm asleep, damn disadvantage in time-zones.

Looking for cheap alternatives now, such as :
Telefunken 12AU7

Amperex Holland 12AU7

Amperex 12AU7

Referring to this chart:
12au7_guide2.gif

What kind of sonic signature are you looking for in a new tube?

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #24 of 29
any comparison made to the Canamp?

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #25 of 29
I have a stupid question but this is my first tube amplifier. Is the tube supposed to glow at some point? I think I got the tube well connected in the socket.

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #26 of 29
Hey guys, random question: would this be able to properly drive a HD 600? My Little Dot I+ was made with low impedance 'phones in mind, so they aren't particulary up to the task.
redface.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by j24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a stupid question but this is my first tube amplifier. Is the tube supposed to glow at some point? I think I got the tube well connected in the socket.

Yes they all should glow, but, the 12AU7 is not a very bright glowing tube by design and the brightness is further obscured even more by the foggy glass on some models. It is very common for me to look at my amp and not see any light coming from the 12AU7. If you get close you should be able to see some glowing. Black Glass Tungsols excluded.
smile.gif

I don't have an EF-1 but it seems like such a fun amp because of all the cool tubes available for it.
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, random question: would this be able to properly drive a HD 600? My Little Dot I+ was made with low impedance 'phones in mind, so they aren't particulary up to the task.
redface.gif

It will drive an HD600 better than any portable amp, but the EF1 really shines with low impedance phones like Grado, Denon and Ultrasone (or ATH-ESW10). The EF1 beat my DV336i with all my full size cans except the HD600, where the two amps drive them fairly similarly but with a slight edge going to the 336i with HD600. EF1 was still good enough to get me to sell the 336i. The only amp in the house that drives the HD600 better than the EF1 is my maxed WA6 at 3x the cost, or my balanced single power at 3x the cost. (I haven't tried the HD600 on the Qinpu A-3 yet).

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ef-1-a-375903/

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #29 of 29
God life was so easy just a day ago. Set on a Caliente but now it feels like I will have to hear this as well
frown.gif
. Is there anyone that have had both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back