Head Direct EF1 [Review]
Feb 25, 2009 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Whenesday

New Head-Fier
Review of the Head-Direct EF1

Do note that this is my first review in Head-fi, originally posted in Jaben Forums here: Head Direct EF1 [Review]

I've been lusting for my very own tube amplifier after hearing other people's, like the Yamamoto HA-02 and the Little Dot MKIV SE. After much consideration and the tempting price of the sale at Head-Direct, I've finally brought the EF1 home, potentially the first to arrive in Singapore!

I've received my EF1 5 days after ordering. The components inside the parcel are very tightly wrapped individually with layers of thin foam.

EF1-Protect.jpg

The three components consists of the 220v AC Adaptor, the Conn-branded Sylvania tube, and the unit itself.

EF1-Unpacked.jpg

The EF1 is a small hybrid amp, utilizing both 12AU7 tube and op-amp. The chassis is thick dark-coloured metal, with a matching volume knob. The size of the knob is ideal, but the lack of contrasting colour in the indentation of the knob ‘pointer’ means you have to strain your eyes to visually know how high the volume is. A future fix for this is to manually apply white paint into the indentation.

EF1-Front.jpg

It has a blue LED inside as the power indicator, but its stuffed all the way in the interior near to the front panel and not underneath the clear top cover, hence you can’t see it directly from the top, but only from the reflection from the heat sink from an angle. Too bad the interior is not illuminiated by the blue LED like the Audio Technica HA20, which emits a cool blue glow of the interior.

EF1-Glow.jpg

It uses RCA inputs, and a ¼ inch headphone jack for output. A pity it doesn’t have a output RCA like my Audio Technica HA20, which allows me to connect to my speakers and listen to speakers without swapping cables and switching on the HA20 amp.

EF1-Rear.jpg

The whole chassis gets very hot to touch after running it for a couple of hours, halfway towards scalding. And yes, it includes the volume knob.

With my Denon stock D5000 and the default Sylvania tube, I can’t hear the noise floor, no tube hum as well. Sound-wise, it couldn’t be better. EF1 is MADE for the Denons to my ears. The clarity is so clean and clear, providing so many details not heard before. Plenty of deep, yet tight bass and full-bodied sound. All of these which what I’ve been looking for exactly, as Novo is being too neutral and clean for my taste.

EF1-Rig.jpg

It performs very well with my other headphones like the JVC RX700 and the Audio Technica ES7. Noteworthy is that the ES7 gets very aggressive-sounding with it, totally surprised me when I heard heavy rock with it.

The bottom line: It works fabulously well with low-impedance headphones, especially with the Denons. At this price point, its stunningly good.

Will update my review when my Mullard ships here as well (Seems that dwong has let it go after winning the bid) and hopefully winning the Amperex Bugle Boy as well.

EF1 Setup for reference is: PC -> Zero Dac -> EF1

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 29
Thanks for the great review. I could not have said it better. The EF-1/Denon synergy is incredible. My 5k's are stock and if J&R ever gets some 7K stock in, I'll have a taste of them with my EF-1 as well. My Other cans ( see my Signature), did fine but I'm a firm believer in "EQ when you want to" and the other cans all needed a bit of EQ'ing to negate some sibilence and Veil with the EF-1.. The HD650's didn't do too well with the EF-1 but they are 300ohm and really need full power amps/Tubes to shine.

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whenesday /img/forum/go_quote.gif

With my Denon stock D5000 and the default Sylvania tube, I can’t hear the noise floor, no tube hum as well. Sound-wise, it couldn’t be better. EF1 is MADE for the Denons to my ears. The clarity is so clean and clear, providing so many details not heard before. Plenty of deep, yet tight bass and full-bodied sound. All of these which what I’ve been looking for exactly, as Novo is being too neutral and clean for my taste.

Nice review - I had similar things to say in my review, and said the D2000 and EF1 were made for each other, as were the Edition 9 and Grados. REVIEW: Head-Direct EF1 Desktop Tube Hybrid Amp (not EF-1) - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the great review. I could not have said it better. The EF-1/Denon synergy is incredible. My 5k's are stock and if J&R ever gets some 7K stock in, I'll have a taste of them with my EF-1 as well. My Other cans ( see my Signature), did fine but I'm a firm believer in "EQ when you want to" and the other cans all needed a bit of EQ'ing to negate some sibilence and Veil with the EF-1.. The HD650's didn't do too well with the EF-1 but they are 300ohm and really need full power amps/Tubes to shine.

I bet you are glad to have your D5000 back.
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #8 of 29
Decent review and neat pics. Interesting to note it gets so hot.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 29
Nice review. Seems there is pretty good consensus that the EF1 is a nice little amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 29
I tried EF-1 on Charlotte CanFest last Saturday. It paired with my K701 very well. very clean and lively music. This is an amazing little amp.

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #12 of 29
Great review. I have a very similar setup as yours. I am using Denon D2000 with a Zero DAC and EF1 using a stock RCA tube. The combo is great but I only have my stock onboard PC soundcard to compare it too so it's not really a fair comparison.

I too noticed the heat so I have my EF1 ontop of two Chinese teacups, turned upside down (for better stability), all on top of the Zero. This I figured would at least provide some spacing between the devices for better airflow. It appears to be working well so far.

I've been eyeing the Mullards as lots of people have been highly recommending them but any additional feedback you have will be greatly appreciated. I'm still confused by the whole short plate-long plate differences but it looks like the consensus is to get a long plate Mullard. Is this what you are getting?

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 29
Thanks guys.
atsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mullards guys, Mullards
wink.gif

You are really making me fidgety about my Mullard!

I know its abit too late to ask, but I presume this is the correct one?
Won Mullard Tube from EBay

Been eye-ing on the Brimar as well, due to the 12AU7 chart that you've posted on other threads as well. But maybe after the Mullard impression.
Brimar tube from EBay

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #14 of 29
I did order a Mullard CV4003, but it's still shipping on its way and unfortunately my EF1 broke down in the midst of it all. I shipped it back to Head-Direct last week for repairs, so it might take a while until I get to hear them myself.

Just out of curiosity, how much heat does the Zero DAC generate? When I had my EF1 stacked on top of my Valab Dac, which runs pretty warm to touch, both the EF1 and Valab Dac ran very hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back