Head-amp as mic pre-amp??
post-218118
Post #1 of 7

Infinite5ths

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
OK, I may be crazy, but I just had a brainstorm. Is there any reason that a CMOY or META42 style amp could not be used as an external microphone pre-amp for an electret microphone (or microphones)? I know the mics would need a separate power source (you don't need to fill me in on that -- I have the circuits/info already). I'm just wondering why one couldn't plug two electret mics (with PS) into the input of one of these head-amps to obtain a line-level output.

The reason I ask is that I'm told the built-in mic pre-amp in my Sony MD recorder is pretty noisy (and I DEFINITELY agree). I'm also told that if you use an external pre-amp you can record through the LINE-IN jack on the MD recorder with MUCH better quality. That would be a BIG plus for recording my violin with my MD setup (especially for recording audition/competition tapes). Are these head-amps up to this task, or would I need a better quality (i.e. more amplification w/ less noise) circuit?

If this works, I might even be able to get credit in my physics of music class (humanities credit) for building a head-amp -- and the school might even pay for part of it! :-]

The crazy music school student...
--
Mike

post-218917
Post #3 of 7

jcstoke

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
*top*

I'm curious about this too....anybody?

post-219068
Post #4 of 7

Infinite5ths

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I guess that if nobody knows, then there is only one way to find out... :-]

I also guess that a low-cost amp (CMOY maybe??) and $3 RadioShack electret would be a good place to start.

post-219178
Post #5 of 7

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I've been told that it's possible by people who know more than I do, and from what I understand the function is the same.

post-219236
Post #6 of 7

jcstoke

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I just orderd a few of these panasonics from digikey. I guess when I get my cmoy put together we'll have a verdict. This site has some ideas for how to wire it:µMicrophone (the microphones...not the Cmoy)
Now if I can only track down some gooseneck it would look like this (with a preamp of course!).....

JC

post-219446
Post #7 of 7

Infinite5ths

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Let me know what results you get. You know that you'll need a PS or battery box to power the mic elements, right? This website has info on making a battery box for stereo or mono electret mic setups: http://home.earthlink.net/~gottapes/micdiyers/main.htm

Select "Binaural Stereo Mics" or "Binaural Mono Mics" in the left navigation column for schematics.

--
Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)