Head-amp as mic pre-amp??
Nov 18, 2002 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Infinite5ths

New Head-Fier
OK, I may be crazy, but I just had a brainstorm. Is there any reason that a CMOY or META42 style amp could not be used as an external microphone pre-amp for an electret microphone (or microphones)? I know the mics would need a separate power source (you don't need to fill me in on that -- I have the circuits/info already). I'm just wondering why one couldn't plug two electret mics (with PS) into the input of one of these head-amps to obtain a line-level output.

The reason I ask is that I'm told the built-in mic pre-amp in my Sony MD recorder is pretty noisy (and I DEFINITELY agree). I'm also told that if you use an external pre-amp you can record through the LINE-IN jack on the MD recorder with MUCH better quality. That would be a BIG plus for recording my violin with my MD setup (especially for recording audition/competition tapes). Are these head-amps up to this task, or would I need a better quality (i.e. more amplification w/ less noise) circuit?

If this works, I might even be able to get credit in my physics of music class (humanities credit) for building a head-amp -- and the school might even pay for part of it! :-]

The crazy music school student...
--
Mike

Nov 19, 2002 at 6:53 AM Post #6 of 7
I just orderd a few of these panasonics from digikey. I guess when I get my cmoy put together we'll have a verdict. This site has some ideas for how to wire it:µMicrophone (the microphones...not the Cmoy)
cool.gif
Now if I can only track down some gooseneck it would look like this (with a preamp of course!).....

microphonemadness-store_1714_4900602

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back